Morellonomicon and Executioners Calling on ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mdaha

12-30-2012

So, I was playing ARAM and I got Volibear. Cool going to go raid boss tank for my team, keep assassins off my carry, pop barrier with passive, giving me a little extra time to make sure I don't get bursted through my passive. Oh, the enemy got one of these two items and now my passive will always be 50% weaker. This usually results in me not healing enough to live an extra 8 plus seconds. Normally I would be okay with this because I could cleanse it, or it would require the enemies to be on the ball with ignite but these two items really shut down healing champions with little thought needed. The problem is a lot of these champions with built in large % healing get out of control, and these items or an ignite or two are required to stop them. I still don't feel that the items are balanced though, being able to block a part of healing 100% of the time with no counter play by the healers is kind of bad game design. Here are my suggestions:

1. Remove these items, they see what champs the enemy has and still get to counter play and take ignite, at least the healer has the ability to cleanse/QSS it. I think this might not be best for the team that has to stop the healing though as it forces the enemy team to bring multiple ignites to just be safe. Also isn't as good because ignite usually has a much longer cooldown then these abilities. While they shouldn't be able to block all, the also shouldn't only be able to block 1 every 4 or 5.

2. Replace these items with the same items only with actives, with short cooldowns, that are once again are able to be cleansed. This allows them to counter build if ignite is not enough and gives the healer the ability to cleanse it. This seams better as both parties have to give something up to get back to balanced and the healer isn't completely unstoppable.

I have no clue if this would solve anything, but it is kind of frustrating being countered by an item with me not being able to do anything about it. On the same token I would like the other team to be able to still be able to stop my healing so I don't get out of control. It obviously needs to be tested.

Beravin

12-30-2012

Items like these are all we have to keep sustain teams in check. Without them the poke/heal situation in ARAM would be much worse than it already is. A few certain champions (*cough* Mundo *cough*) are big enough problems already without having some of their counterplay removed. I mean, healers and sustain champions are pretty high on the tier lists as is.

Ignite has a much longer cooldown than the heals and ultimates of sustain champions, which is why I do not think this idea would work very well. Its true that healers can not counter this, but thats kind of the point, since these itms exist to keep them in check in the first place. Allowing them to cleanse the effect is basically a counter to a counter, which is also bad design.

Personally, I'd rather charge it and let the team fight resolve itself, without having to reapply a healing reduction active every few seconds. That would be more frustrating than anything else, to be honest, and would get in the way of the game.

Mdaha

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beravin View Post
Items like these are all we have to keep sustain teams in check. Without them the poke/heal situation in ARAM would be much worse than it already is. A few certain champions (*cough* Mundo *cough) are big enough problems already without having some of their counterplay removed. I mean, healers and sustain champions are pretty high on the tier lists as is.

Ignite has a much longer cooldown than the heals and ultimates of sustain champions, which is why I do not think this idea would work very well. Its true that healers can not counter this, but thats kind of the point, since these itms exist to keep them in check in the first place. Allowing them to cleanse the effect is basically a counter to a counter, which is also bad design.

Personally, I'd rather charge it and let the team fight resolve itself, without having to reapply a healing reduction active every few seconds. That would be more frustrating than anything else, to be honest, and would get in the way of the game.

Going to break down your post. I don't agree that these items even affect most poke/sustain comps because they require you to be on your target. Poke/sustain usually involves not being within range of your opponent and disengaging unless they are low. Just because a champ is strong doesn't mean they should be allowed to be shut down by a single item. I understand healers are strong, but I have been noticing these items more and more recently and they are very strong for what they do. I feel as if they are too strong though

I already went over ignite CD problem on why I thought option 1 isn't good. The item does more then keep them in check though, it's there to make them work at only 50% efficiency at all times. Counter play also deserves counter play if you can't counter counters then the game would become a game of rock, paper scissors(Not saying this game is, just I feel like this game mechanic is).

Also for active I was thinking of Old Morello's Evil Tome/Executioners, 50% less healing for 4 or 5 seconds on a 20 second CD. You don't have to keep reapplying, but the healer is allowed to at least get some 100% healing in unless you stack them well or he cleanses.

Though after reading this the other option is just reduce the amount of healing blocked from these items, 50% is just too high for it being active 100% of the time.

Beravin

12-30-2012

I think the item is perfectly balanced. You need to consider that in order to actually get the effect, you have to maintain it on an enemy. To do this puts you in a great deal of danger, particularly with Executioners Calling. It is strong because of the risk versus reward factor. Getting into position to use it on the target should offer a noticeable reward to yourself/the team.

One last point from me is that the only reason you would ever buy these items, in place of a more important item, is to deal with a particular team/champion. You do not get the active for free, you have to go a very long way out of your build to get it. Getting a Morellonomicon means you are not getting a Rabandons/Hourglass or whatever else is needed.

These items are rare enough as it is already. If they are nerfed, you might not see them at all.

FDru

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beravin View Post
These items are rare enough as it is already. If they are nerfed, you might not see them at all.
That's because people are dumb. I buy these items every single game unless the enemy has ZERO healer and ZERO heal summoner spells. EC might be slightly inefficient from a DPS standpoint but it still has decent stats, decent enough that even bruisers should be grabbing it. Morellos is worth it just for the huge CDR so I wouldn't even consider it a loss if they had no healer (CDR is the #1 most underrated stat in this game and Riot just keeps piling it on with every patch, lol tyvm).

Grievous wounds is overpowered as hell and always has been. Free 100% uptime grievous wounds is absolutely ridiculous. It's too bad that the average idiot who plays this game is too stupid to understand how good these items are but that doesn't make them any less powerful.