@reds or smart people: why do losing streaks exist?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

progenity

12-30-2012

Losing streaks not only are prevalent, but happen VERY frequently. Every extensive player has had at least 3-5 major ones in their career, and statistically this shouldn't be such a common phenomenon. The purpose of the Elo confidence system is that it builds more confidence to which where you belong through a selection of matches, and massive winning/losing swings realistically would not occur. What I have witnessed is that after winning a large amount of games, you will be paired up with increasingly impossible odds in which my teammates are inadequate or their team's wins/elo far surpass mine (even if you do well, you will lose). This happens for quite a while until you reach a bottom point, and then pivot upwards again. Shouldn't it be 50/50 at the right elo, meaning the same amount lost and won in the same time period? This trend is clearly shown after several years of societal interaction between friends and forum-goers and has become a generally accepted phenomenon within the community. Statistically it's not about skill or luck, so is it programmed into the matchmaking system?

Bacur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

the better you become the better your enemies
at some point it is getting easier to add worse allies to your team rather than to search for better enemies.

team is the only solution. i mean a ranked team, not inviting random lowbob friends without voice communication to play with you.

HarbingerOfBoom

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangoFongo View Post
Losing streaks not only are prevalent, but happen VERY frequently. Every extensive player has had at least 3-5 major ones in their career, and statistically this shouldn't be such a common phenomenon.
Since you're on the topic of statistics, and using terms such as 'very frequently' and 'common' so liberally, would you mind including the data from which you made these observations?

DeathByWaffle

12-30-2012

Losing streaks involve a lot more factors than regulate or even quantify. Things such as the player's mood, physical well being, concentration levels, and a host of other intangible variables affect a player's gameplay and can contribute to a win or loss streak.

BrainiacOutcast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

That principle only really applies to 1v1 games.

Ash Ketchum Red

12-30-2012

you lose a game, you get mad, you lose more games.