Radeon 8000 series GPU

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SummerDaze

12-28-2012

I'm thinking of waiting around for these and only recently got into computers. I know they'll outperform the 7000 series but in past experience for those who know, will the price of the 7000 series drop with the arrival of the 8000 series? And if so whats the projected drop.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-29-2012

The initial launch of the 8000 series is only in the mobile segment, around early Spring 2013, and are actually just tuned 7000 series architectures. We should see the desktop 8000 series, the new architecture, hit a month or two later,

Now, here is where it gets tricky. If there are yield issues with the 28nm fabrication, again, then supply will be low. This will keep prices of the 8000 series high and won't allow for a drop in price of the 7000 series. If yields are fine and production numbers are reached then we can expect a small price drop in the 7000 series, 10%, maybe 15%.

Something to remember is that just because the 8000 series hits, the 7000 series isn't suddenly going to become irrelevant. In truth, sales of the 7000 series will probably go up when the 8000 series is released. The reason is there are more people, like you, who are waiting for the next evolution to force a price drop on current gen. Those of us that take the bleeding edge hardware at launch is a pretty small group.

SirNoobicus

12-29-2012

I bought an EVGA 560 ti 2 GB card in July, and so far, it's only dropped like 30 bucks. Buy a 7000 series, but try looking at benchmarks to see if you really want AMD.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNoobicus View Post
I bought an EVGA 560 ti 2 GB card in July, and so far, it's only dropped like 30 bucks. Buy a 7000 series, but try looking at benchmarks to see if you really want AMD.
What do benchmarks have to do with if he wants to go AMD? If he were to look at benchmarks he would see that the single fastest GPU card on the market is the AMD 7970, and the fastest dual gpu card is the 7990. He would also find that not only are AMD's cheaper than Nvidia, they offer higher performance at pretty much every level.

AMD 7950 is the same price range, and in some cases cheaper, than the Nvidia 660 Ti, and out performs it. The AMD 7850, same cost as the Nvidia 650 Ti, out performs it by a significant margin. The GTX 670 is the same price, and in some cases MORE, than a 7970 and is slower. Obviously the GTX 680 is much more than a 7970, and is just on par, generally considered one step behind right now due to AMD drivers 12.11.

Nvidia cards are voltage locked, unlike most AMD cards, leaving very little headroom for overclocking. The AMD cards not being voltage locked have a ton of headroom for overclocking, pushing their attractiveness even further. The other advantage AMD currently has is the memory throughput and VRAM, especially for those of us that run higher than 1200P resolutions.

In the end there is literally no advantage to Nvidia at the moment, they are much more expensive and do not perform better. With the exception of a few frames per second advantage in select Nvidia optimized titles that were developed in conjunction with Nvidia under their "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program.

TheFieldMarshal

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
What do benchmarks have to do with if he wants to go AMD? If he were to look at benchmarks he would see that the single fastest GPU card on the market is the AMD 7970, and the fastest dual gpu card is the 7990. He would also find that not only are AMD's cheaper than Nvidia, they offer higher performance at pretty much every level.

AMD 7950 is the same price range, and in some cases cheaper, than the Nvidia 660 Ti, and out performs it. The AMD 7850, same cost as the Nvidia 650 Ti, out performs it by a significant margin. The GTX 670 is the same price, and in some cases MORE, than a 7970 and is slower. Obviously the GTX 680 is much more than a 7970, and is just on par, generally considered one step behind right now due to AMD drivers 12.11.

Nvidia cards are voltage locked, unlike most AMD cards, leaving very little headroom for overclocking. The AMD cards not being voltage locked have a ton of headroom for overclocking, pushing their attractiveness even further. The other advantage AMD currently has is the memory throughput and VRAM, especially for those of us that run higher than 1200P resolutions.

In the end there is literally no advantage to Nvidia at the moment, they are much more expensive and do not perform better. With the exception of a few frames per second advantage in select Nvidia optimized titles that were developed in conjunction with Nvidia under their "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program.
A few things to note. Although the HD 7850 1GB is still a decent bit ahead of the GTX 650ti, i've seen the GTX 650ti as cheap as 115 and it's a very low powered card. There is no doubt that AMD is winning hands down price/performance and overclocking due to voltage locks, but I just saw a GTX 670 priced very close to an HD 7950, but that may have been a christmas sale xD

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-29-2012

You might have seen a 650 at $115, but I have never seen a 650 Ti at $115, and I follow pricing daily. I would also never buy a 7850 1GB. Maybe one came by on Black Friday and was down at $115 after a Mail-In-Rebate you won't ever get.

SummerDaze

12-30-2012

Never seen a 650 ti @ 115 dawg. Most between 150-180 and right now anyone who says nvidia is better is a fanboy. Nvidia had its day but now its gotta step up.

Kayko Yukimura

12-30-2012

Out of the 28 rebates I sent in this year I've received 26 back. One I didn't follow the instructions and fill out the online form, and the other was too heavy and post office sent it back after post mark date.

TheFieldMarshal

12-30-2012

Kayko=me

But here is a GTX 650ti for 125: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Yes I recommend if you can swing 160-180 an HD 7850 2GB is a massive upgrade.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-30-2012

In my life think I have actually gotten 2 rebates out of more than a dozen. All where accepted and "In processing", they just never showed, and it wasn't worth my time to go track them down.