One quick way to fix Yi: Change his passive.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prismatic

12-29-2012

Firstly, I will state the complaint i have about master yi.

I have been thinking of old champions that are in need (some more than others) of a remake. Master Yi is still amazing, dont get me wrong. His passive, Double strike, howevers seems out of place and lackluster for Yi in gameplay and in lore. In his lore, he seems like this badass, monk-like warrior assassin, but for his passive it just feels like "Oh double strike.... yeah whatever"

Moreso, his assassinability is very powerful simply with his ultimate and E (Wuju style could give a little more than just some attack damage, just seems like lazy designing to me ( just another problem; not the main point))- But his passive is almost unnoticable in most levels of play, and does not feel very good to use, which is problematic, mainly because it takes 7 attacks to charge up. It synergises poorly with his E (wuju style) and has almost no "Optimal time" to use it.

Okay. now for the actual idea.

(All numbers are subject to whatever, this is just an idea)

New passive: Wuju Focus: Wuju focus causes Yi to Critically strike on his next attack. Master Yi gains a stack of Focus every 10 / 8 / 6 seconds, up to a maximum of 2 stacks. This effect is cooled down every time he is attacked by enemies (by 0.25 seconds from minions, 0.5 seconds from champions.) This effect is Tripled when Yi is meditating.

See, this new passive works well with his skillset (metitate is usefull for AD yi, Wuju style is now a much more valuable ability) and also with his lore.

Gameplay wise, ability power yi is just as strong, if not stronger, but AD yi now works much better in jungle and gives Yi the decisiveness to use at certain points, and now allows yi to fulfill his assassin / carry niche much better, and gives him much more controlled burst.

Lore wise, this fits yi much moreso than double strike. For one, Yi is a monk assassin of sorts, so focus would seem appropriate. As well, one of the main driving forces of Yi joining the League was singed destroying Ionia in a series of brutal chemical attacks, causing Yi to join the league. So, having enemies attacking Yi would fit lorewise. Having meditate triple the cooldown fits both.

Please don't just TLDR this. Yi could use a fix, and i believe this would work amazingly.

Comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

EDIT: Changed the numbers on wuju focus, people were ****ting themselves over adjustables.

2nd EDIT: I do not have a beef with the power levels of his current passive or the idea passive. No-one is arguing the power of a free autoattack. My beef with it is its lackluster synergy with his lore.

lolSeb

12-29-2012

you think it doesn't matter until his double strike crits you twice when he has IE

Pragz

12-29-2012

Do you realize how stupid it would be for Yi to come out of the jungle, Alpha Strike you, and then crit you 3 times in a row?

Warlemming

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Wait, so you want to get rid of an extra auto on every 7th attack, for a free crit every 10/8/6 seconds?

You realise how fast AD Yi attacks right?

Right?

Raivix

12-29-2012

So, because you don't know how to use his passive effectively in lane, you want it changed to something else? Last-hit 7 creeps, Alpha Strike to enemy, right click enemy, chunk them for a large part of their health, go back to last hitting. Free auto attacks on a champion that builds AD carry is kind of a big deal.

Prismatic

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivix View Post
So, because you don't know how to use his passive effectively in lane, you want it changed to something else? Last-hit 7 creeps, Alpha Strike to enemy, right click enemy, chunk them for a large part of their health, go back to last hitting. Free auto attacks on a champion that builds AD carry is kind of a big deal.
It's decent, we all know that. It's just a boring passive that doesn't connect with his lore or playstyle very well. The only connectivity it has is being used directly after Alpha strike, Or continuously attacking someone.

fishnchipsmate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratul1005 View Post
It's decent, we all know that. It's just a boring passive that doesn't connect with his lore or playstyle very well. The only connectivity it has is being used directly after Alpha strike, Or continuously attacking someone.
yi is all about continuously attacking somebody really fast. which his passive is amazing for. it also connects with his lore, since he;s a blademaster, he's so skilled with a sword he can swing it fast enough to hit twice