can someone explain to me 'color blind racism'?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gods Grunt

6 Days Ago

working on my sociology, and i can't really wrap my head around it. What the book is saying it is is racism that is based around tendencies, such as college loans is 'color blind racism' because more white people go to college than minorities.

i am having a hard time wrapping my head around this

edit:after talking with my mom, i think i got it. in league terms its like how Riot has been progressively more and more skillful champions is a 'west coast bias' because skillful champions are much harder in higher pings (ex-thresh, braum, yasou,zed.) like how thresh can stop a trist dash, but an east coaster will have a much harder time doing it than a west coaster.

at face value it seems like a pile of bull****, but the more you look at it and think about it. it really is even if they arnt doing it on purpose.

Omjaku

6 Days Ago

sociology isn't really a science... don't beleive your professor.

You can always tell the "worth" of a science/class by how many names they make u memorize.

W1ldside

6 Days Ago

They're looking at income, where you're from, what kind of jobs you've had.

They're making assumptions about you without ever seeing your skin color.

I'm surprised your professor isn't just calling it Class Bias, but again, Sociology is a weak science.

Surakai

6 Days Ago

don't know and don't care

but tbh "color blind racism" sounds very similar to feminist stupidity, like being accused of rape after consent.

Meleti

6 Days Ago

Sounds to me like you barely understand what's being talked about in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omjaku View Post
sociology isn't really a science... don't beleive your professor.

You can always tell the "worth" of a science/class by how many names they make u memorize.
Do not confuse freshman intro classes for your liberal arts core requirements with actual sociology. It's the same way with virtually every social science. You learn some stupid nonsense during the first course because they dumb it down for the non-majors.

Gl1tch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

6 Days Ago

I googled it really quickly and I think I know what the term refers to. I'm going to have a difficult time explaining it, because I'm basically regurgitating the arguments of people who understand it far better than me, but here goes.

Normal racism: Black people are worse than white people
Color blind racism: Black people are the exact same as white people
Correct: Black people are different than white people, but that's not a bad thing.

For example

Normal racism: Thinking that black people are dumber than white people, so more white people should go to college.
Color blind racism: Thinking that black people have it just as easy as white people, so it should be just as difficult for them to go to college.
Correct: Acknowledging that while black people are just as smart as white people, institutionalized racism in the school system makes it harder for them to be as successful, and as such, the requisite test scores for black people should be decreased.

A great example of color blind racism would be Stephen Colbert's satire, where he claims he doesn't see race.

Volor Flex

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl1tch View Post
I googled it really quickly and I think I know what the term refers to. I'm going to have a difficult time explaining it, because I'm basically regurgitating the arguments of people who understand it far better than me, but here goes.

Normal racism: Black people are worse than white people
Color blind racism: Black people are the exact same as white people
Correct: Black people are different than white people, but that's not a bad thing.

For example

Normal racism: Thinking that black people are dumber than white people, so more white people should go to college.
Color blind racism: Thinking that black people have it just as easy as white people, so it should be just as difficult for them to go to college.
Correct: Acknowledging that while black people are just as smart as white people, institutionalized racism in the school system makes it harder for them to be as successful, and as such, the requisite test scores for black people should be decreased.

A great example of color blind racism would be Stephen Colbert's satire, where he claims he doesn't see race.
So clearly blacks aren't as smart as whites if we should lower the requirements for blacks

Newtype Quess

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volor Flex View Post
So clearly blacks aren't as smart as whites if we should lower the requirements for blacks
Nope. It's just on average, black people are in schools that are less funded and have worse teachers. It isn't their fault, it is systemic.

Gl1tch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volor Flex View Post
That argument you just made is an example of color blind racism, at least according to what I googled.

Surakai

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtype Quess View Post
Nope. It's just on average, black people are in schools that are less funded and have worse teachers. It isn't their fault, it is systemic.
and then you realize that Africa is still way behind every other continent.

hmm