How should Malphite be played?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeune42

12-29-2012

I bought Malphite last night and I was wondering how I should build him? Go for high AP / Health or Armor / Damage. I tend to only put my items between two categories.

Guy on a bus

12-29-2012

You should build/play him to be as annoying as humanly possible.

Zeune42

12-29-2012

I just played another round with him and it seems high armor / health / ap would be good for him because he already has good damage.

M4nTiCoR3

12-29-2012

Malphite has a hard time finding any stat he doesn't scale off of in some way. He is a jack of all stats, but master of none. In other words, he can be itemized to do a lot of things well, but he won't generally outperform more specialized champions.

There really isn't a best way to build him. The best kit will depend on your planned role within your team, ie laner/jungle, what your team lacks, ie ap/ad, and what the other team is doing/building.

One of my favorite builds is tanky burst image, which focuses on ap items that also have ar & mr, and spell pen.

I've also built around his steroid with tiamat and had huge aoe splash ad. Then there is a tanky pusher build that focuses on HP w/atmas and sun fire cape. There are just so many items he can find synergy with if you plan for it.

Always go in with a plan but also be flexible enough to switch it up to an alternative build with him if the situation warrents it.

Stay Rock Solid,
-gap81

Hasuobs

12-29-2012

Malphite usually jungles or tops. On top Malphite, my endgame goal is to have Mercury's Treads, Ohmwrecker, Iceborn Gauntlet, Abyssal Scepter, Banshee's Veil, and Guardian's Angel. My jungle Malphite build is Ionian Boots, Spirit of the Ancient Golem, Iceborn Gauntlet, Runic Bulwark, Randuin's Omen, and Ruby Sightstone.

Wickian

12-29-2012

I usually build him very tanky with a bit of damage so I can just stand on top of and harass the enemy adc. Slowing the adc so escape isn't an option while contributing damage and CC with my ult.

Zeune42

12-29-2012

Thank you all for the advice. I have found that he is a good tank. I have been doing a lot of armor w/ moderate hp about 2k - 2.3k w/ about 203 armor