Which of these do you consider inappropriate?

"you ks'd me you stupid n-gger" 678 86.04%
"sorry for being such a n-gger, lol" 519 65.86%
"you ks'd me you stupid f-ggot" 624 79.19%
"sorry for being such a f-ggot, lol" 435 55.20%
"ur f-cking gay" 596 75.63%
"lol that was gay sorry" 235 29.82%
"kennen ur a ******" 520 65.99%
"sorry for being such a ******, lol" 251 31.85%
"I raped you so hard" 437 55.46%
"sorry, I got raped mid" 164 20.81%
None of the above 77 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

(Initial Results Posted) Google Poll on Offensive Language in LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anymeese

Master Recruiter

12-29-2012

Here's an average player's opinion (in life, not just league)

I curse like a sailor all day long -- really dont see anything wrong with it. It's offensive when someone singles you out, whether they use "bad" words or not. If i said "TF stop losing your lane, you smoldering excuse for manure" i consider that to be just as offensive as "TF stop losing your lane, c*nt licker" or anything like that.

And at the same time if someone says "PLEASE stop f***ing making the same mistakes over and over" I'm PERFECTLY OKAY WITH THIS. Yes they used a "bad word" but they didn't try to offend me, they tried to be polite in it and used the "bad word" to show frustration

Curse words are just words. I think the censorship in any way, shape, or form of them is absolutely asinine and should be prohibited under the first amendment. But then again, I'm that one kid who isn't afraid to call his high school teacher a "f***ing retardd"

Hope this helps. I know quite a lot of people that feel this way

Postal Miku

12-29-2012

the thing is, when i pop the N word, it's normally in a fun type of sense with my friends
If I am to say that my team mates botched up, I call them r-tarded with a possible F word in there depending on the scale

I have been warned once, and that was for afking
It's the context on how you say things

"Teemo you are [FAKEN] stupid" is fine in my books
but
"Teemo I am going to find you and rape your [FAKEN] family and kill you" is not fine

If my cases do make it into the triburnal, I probably do get a lot of punishes because of how many curses i spout

SteelerKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkahn21 View Post
I find it interesting that using "inappropriate words" when referring to ones self is deemed more or less acceptable (such as "I got raped mid" and "sorry for being such a *****".) It's the moment that one begins to use these words in reference to or to describe another that it becomes inappropriate.

edit: I also agree with davin that I don't like to see words rape(d) and gay thrown around either but in general it's more accepted.
That's because the intention in using the words against someone is to verbally abuse said other person.
You can verbally abuse people without using any "offensive language" at all.
Hence why it's ridiculous to get offended by specific words just cause they got used.

If you really want to get down to it you could think about wether forbidding the use of certain words would lead to less people using the word in the wrong context complementary but not like the OP just mindlessly think that using a word is wrong cause someone might get offended.

Rauron

12-29-2012

"the phrase 'kill yourself'
no"

This this this. This is one of VERY few phrases that actually does make me auto-punish, almost entirely regardless of context. It's also one that makes me much more likely to pardon, if the one being judged was the victim of that harassment.

Still, I'm one of those that thinks the casual use of the word "rape" is okay, so I suppose much of y'all will take my words with a block of salt.

Slyvery

12-29-2012

I feel just about any insult directed towards self is just much less offensive to others.

cottonycloud

12-29-2012

I think the word n-- is a bit of a gray area because in my experience, many black people I knew or saw said it to their black friends in a friendly way. As for the other words, it's okay to use it in the original nonoffensive definition, such as f--- being firewood in Lord of the Rings and gay being happy. That shouldn't be an issue. For me, it's best to not swear at others and to do common sense things.

Most of the issues between the even answers concern the question "is it okay to use the word at all", while the odd answers correspond to "is it okay to use it in a demeaning manner". Less toxic players would say no to the latter, while the former is much more of a gray area.

Shimrra3

12-29-2012

I'm definitely seeing a trend in that the current voting sample for this poll, on average, finds all of these words less offensive if the context is self-deprecating. Makes sense I guess - if one is going to insult themselves they can get away with a little more than insulting random strangers.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
This makes sense, though I am surprised that in 2012 the word "gay" as an insult is still found to be as acceptable (to this sample) as "******" and "raped". Though in an ideal world, nobody would use any of them. ;-)
I disagree. In an ideal words none of these words would offend anyone. There would be no reason for anyone to be offended by them, no negative stigmas, etc. The fact that such words exist is a proof of the world not being ideal.

SonicTheHedgedawg

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Though if you ask me, I don't like people throwing around 'gay' and 'rape' in those contexts.

I know I'm not the steward of such words, but I'm gay, andI don't know any of my gay friends, including myself, who "gay" bothers.

FA**** on the other hand . . . yeah... that's crossing the line.

But despite the negative usage, words like "gay" "retarted" and "rape" just don't seem to have near the same level of punch as other slurs like ""Fa****" "Ni****" or "C***"

CupcakeTrap

12-30-2012

So the forum poll here seems to be giving responses that are somewhat different from the google poll's results. I have to run off to those weekend adventures again, but one thing I'll do when I run more analyses is look to see if this is a Reddit versus forums thing. (I'd have expected the Reddit crowd to be more conservative, but who knows.)