Which of these do you consider inappropriate?

"you ks'd me you stupid n-gger" 678 86.04%
"sorry for being such a n-gger, lol" 519 65.86%
"you ks'd me you stupid f-ggot" 624 79.19%
"sorry for being such a f-ggot, lol" 435 55.20%
"ur f-cking gay" 596 75.63%
"lol that was gay sorry" 235 29.82%
"kennen ur a ******" 520 65.99%
"sorry for being such a ******, lol" 251 31.85%
"I raped you so hard" 437 55.46%
"sorry, I got raped mid" 164 20.81%
None of the above 77 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

(Initial Results Posted) Google Poll on Offensive Language in LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NobSaiboot

12-29-2012

I think one of the Reds put it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post

You can say the F word in a friendly context:

You can also say it in a very toxic context:

(Why downvote?)

IConquer1101

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Oh my God I'm dying.

"Winning the prize for concision:"

SteelerKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Polls like these show what whiny little pussies the LoL community consists of.

The general feel of the players here is that most words are offensive and therefore shouldn't be used.
It's the same mentality of the public where only civilized, good manners are appropriate.
And only words that may not offend anyone under any circumstances fall into this category of civilized.

If you people would stop getting offended and angry over any little stuff someone is throwing around.
I can't believe what is eligible as inappropriate here.

41 out of 63 voted for "sorry for being such a f-ggot, lol".
You find this offensive? Well guess what, someone that's actually a *** doesn't.
44 out of 63 voted for "sorry for being such a n-gger, lol".
Guess what, black people usually call themselves by the word ****er more so than others do.
It's like male feminists(aka white knights) running to the help of girls cause they're hot for attention from the group they're trying to "protect" even though they got no idea what the hell they're blabbering about. Or like a kid trying to feed a dog chocolate cause it felt it was the right thing to do.
You're making it worse. Just stop it. Your good intentions lead to a huge pile of brown leftovers.

If you can't talk the way you want in a video game then that's not fun at all. Bad word filtering? It's there. If you don't wanna read the stuff, put it on.
Someone leaping through the filter? Mute him, what's the big deal? What do you do in real life if a problem occurs? Do you just leave whenever someone doesn't talk the way you want?

I understand if someone acts wrong in the game and if someone directly attacks you with words but using certain words doesn't automatically make it a direct attack towards you. Learn to understand circumstances and the context.

Ahri all day

12-29-2012

Everything is pretty much context, if it's meant to be offensive it'll come off as offensive.

The N word however, is always gonna be a tad bit offensive, if it's not it's still gonna get you some wierd looks from everybody.

NegaStoat

12-29-2012

1 & 2 involves a racial slur. 3 & 4 contain a homophobic slur. 5, 6, 7, & 8 contain homophobic slurs / derogatory descriptions that can be insulting to any neutral party having to read them. 9 contains an evocative description intended to insult by its use towards another player. 10 contains the evocative description but in a non insulting way, directed towards the person typing.

To me, One through Nine are unacceptable in a public match containing random strangers of all ages / genders that agreed to play by the Summoner's Code.

Ten isn't a big deal unless we're heading into a Public Event match with spectators, in which case people should really conduct themselves with class. 10 would be a fail in that situation.

Until Riot changes the wording of the Summoner's Code that we all agreed to in playing the game, my mind won't change from the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerKing View Post
Polls like these show what whiny little pussies the LoL community consists of.
Thanks for proving my point.

Try reading http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articl...Summoners_Code

I'd say "try reading it again" but everyone here knows you didn't bother the first time around.

Edit - actually, while you're at it - read http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2702857 too.

" 3. Attacks or Accusations are not acceptable

Attacking another player is unacceptable, the circumstances are irrelevant, just donít do it. This includes calling out another player for leaving, cheating, poor gameplay, etc.

4. Abuse and disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated

Please show your fellow players and Rioters the same respect you would like shown to you. There are consequences to abusing players in the community. "

SteelerKing

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat View Post
1 & 2 involves a racial slur. 3 & 4 contain a homophobic slur. 5, 6, 7, & 8 contain homophobic slurs / derogatory descriptions that can be insulting to any neutral party having to read them. 9 contains an evocative description intended to insult by its use towards another player. 10 contains the evocative description but in a non insulting way, directed towards the person typing.

To me, One through Nine are unacceptable in a public match containing random strangers of all ages / genders that agreed to play by the Summoner's Code.

Ten isn't a big deal unless we're heading into a Public Event match with spectators, in which case people should really conduct themselves with class. 10 would be a fail in that situation.

Until Riot changes the wording of the Summoner's Code that we all agreed to in playing the game, my mind won't change from the above.

Thanks for proving my point.

Try reading http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articl...Summoners_Code

I'd say "try reading it again" but everyone here knows you didn't bother the first time around.
^Perfect example of another guy like OP who gets offended by every little word.
Have fun being caged in the mind of a bitter kid all your life long.

davin

Senior User Researcher

12-29-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Interesting! Poll data is often tricky--beyond the non-random sample considerations that need to be made when interpreting data like these (as RiotDerivative noted), you might be interested in doing things like covarying out social desirability bias! There's some fun controls you can apply to help filter out troll responses and get even more 'clean' responses from non-trolls.

With a large enough set of statements, you could begin to randomize presentation and code based on statement characteristics (e.g., antagonistic vs. apologetic), then perform statistical analyses. For example, there seems to be a trend in these data toward apologetic statements containing hate speech being rated as less problematic. Though if you ask me, I don't like people throwing around 'gay' and 'rape' in those contexts.

Psychometrics!

EDIT: Oh hey, I just noticed you're the same person who compiled the arachnophobia solutions for people. I'm noticing a Psychology theme

Nola

12-29-2012

IMO if you use the word to talk about yourself / recognize your poor play, it's ok.
Why? Because if you say you're "playing like a r-tard" you do not mean in any case to compare your play to a mentally retarded person, you're ust straight out insulting your play, and somewhat trying to apologize for it.
At least that's how I understand people who say so in tribunal.

Now any of the other words used as an insult is punishable, unless the one the insult is aimed at is trolling. Some people have a short temper when it comes to be trolled, and trolls do not deserve pity.

Tattersail

12-29-2012

I find it interesting that using "inappropriate words" when referring to ones self is deemed more or less acceptable (such as "I got raped mid" and "sorry for being such a *****".) It's the moment that one begins to use these words in reference to or to describe another that it becomes inappropriate.

edit: I also agree with davin that I don't like to see words rape(d) and gay thrown around either but in general it's more accepted.

Felstag

12-29-2012

I was raised by my parents to believe that words themselves are not bad, but how we use them. And my voting reflected that. If I call someone a "Flapjack" the entire game, that one person, and do it every time the perform poorly or make a mistake, and use it in a negative tone, wouldn't that cause the person to be just as offended as if I called them more universally offensive?