Scarra Stream / Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

taye21

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
can tell exactly your level of maturity when "kids suck" is the end of the argument.

plenty of substance in my post you could have addressed, but you got all huffy and petulant over that and are spamming downvotes on my messages. kids are easy to read, and easy to manipulate

good game
Wrong. There's many ways to breakdown what you posted.

For one what about the 14 year old poli sci graduate vs the 28 year old with no degree,no job, no family, and lives off his parents.

Also you claimed that "it depends on the subject being argued" so are you saying that different subjects equate to different ages that meet your "necessary perspective that leads to a substantial argument in most subject" ? If this is the case what variables are you using to differentiate between ages/subjects?

Also what about the 17 year old physician? He has credentials, so would you take his advice over a 40 year old without credentials? He's not even legally an adult yet in the US.

Honestly though I felt no need to go on after you made such a grand statement like "kids suck". Obviously if you valued logic you wouldn't have said such a thing.

JurisDictum

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by taye21 View Post
Wrong. There's many ways to breakdown what you posted.

For one what about the 14 year old poli sci graduate vs the 28 year old with no degree,no job, no family, and lives off his parents.

Also you claimed that "it depends on the subject being argued" so are you saying that different subjects equate to different ages that meet your "necessary perspective that leads to a substantial argument in most subject" ? If this is the case what variables are you using to differentiate between ages/subjects?

Also what about the 17 year old physician? He has credentials, so would you take his advice over a 40 year old without credentials? He's not even legally an adult yet in the US.

Honestly though I felt no need to go on after you made such a grand statement like "kids suck". Obviously if you valued logic you wouldn't have said such a thing.
Here's a few questions to chew on son.
Why can't people that aren't at least 18 vote?
Would you be insulted if someone said you were acting like 10 year old?
What if I told you there was a 10 year old that was exceptional at math and science, does that change your answer to the second question?
Do you know what the frontal lobe of your brain does?

taye21

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum View Post
Here's a few questions to chew on son.
Why can't people that aren't at least 18 vote?
Would you be insulted if someone said you were acting like 10 year old?
What if I told you there was a 10 year old that was exceptional at math and science, does that change your answer to the second question?
Do you know what the frontal lobe of your brain does?
In case you missed my previous response to your post.

No idea why you would think this is even relevant? Tell this to the 12 year old in medical school or the 12 year old student at Berkeley, and his sister who graduated at the age of 14. I would argue these "underage people" would definitely take offense and rightly so.

Also how do you define underage? Is it younger than 18? In some countries the legal age for adulthood is younger than 18 so what does that mean? Even in the US we have differing ages for sexual consent. What does this mean?

Do you see the problem? Making huge assumptions and generalizations (such as an age group) end up becoming problematic because there's many examples of the contrary/differing opinions on what age means what.

Why should I answer your questions when you completely ignored all of my mine?

Kaolla

12-29-2012

Quote:
yet again you are terrible at argument.

why are you adding additional criteria? if AGE is what's being argued why are you throwing in extraneous characteristics?

i can do that too and debate disingenuously as you do

"what about the 14yr old down's syndrome kid vs the 28 yr old entrepreneur genius that re-invented social media and then donated millions to cancer research"

JurisDictum

12-29-2012

Quote:
In case you missed my previous response to your post.

No idea why you would think this is even relevant? Tell this to the 12 year old in medical school or the 12 year old student at Berkeley, and his sister who graduated at the age of 14. I would argue these "underage people" would definitely take offense and rightly so.

Also how do you define underage? Is it younger than 18? In some countries the legal age for adulthood is younger than 18 so what does that mean? Even in the US we have differing ages for sexual consent. What does this mean?

Do you see the problem? Making huge assumptions and generalizations (such as an age group) end up becoming problematic because there's many examples of the contrary/differing opinions on what age means what.

Why should I answer your questions when you completely ignored all of my mine?
You didn't spend enough time thinking about it.

taye21

12-29-2012

Quote:
yet again you are terrible at argument.

why are you adding additional criteria? if AGE is what's being argued why are you throwing in extraneous characteristics?

i can do that too and debate disingenuously as you do

"what about the 14yr old down's syndrome kid vs the 28 yr old entrepreneur genius that re-invented social media and then donated millions to cancer research"
I think you are finally getting at what my point was for this whole argument.

I said "Making huge assumptions and generalizations (such as an age group) end up becoming problematic because there's many examples of the contrary/differing opinions on what age means what."

Your the ones claiming a whole age group is X. I'm saying no, there are many factors that need to be considered, therefore you cannot claim a whole age group is X.

You just admitted to this by saying "we are only arguing AGE". Well sorry but you can't ONLY argue AGE because there are many factors that go into it.

taye21

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum View Post
You didn't spend enough time thinking about it.
In other words you have no reply? Ok.

Kaolla

12-29-2012

Quote:
You just admitted to this by saying "we are only arguing AGE". Well sorry but you can't ONLY argue AGE because there are many factors that go into it.
i most certainly can

the same way i can say "white men can't jump" even though it's clear this statement is not true when pertaining to certain individuals.

as part of a group, kids are impetuous, irrational, self-indulgent narcissists who rarely understand the consequences of their actions and words.

i can point out any number of adults who share these features. so why am i giving children this description? because the majority of children share these traits, which makes the assumption and stereotyping apt.

so when i tell you that "kids are immature" you can go ahead and substitute those above traits into it and see exactly why your opinion is less valued

Kaolla

12-29-2012

furthermore no 14yr old berkeley doctorate would say "i take offense to you calling kids immature!" because he knows he's the rare exception. he would know EXACTLY why people think that way. he knows the comments do not pertain to him in the slightest and why would he want to protect his undeveloped "peers" and their stupid ideas?

he wouldn't

taye21

12-29-2012

Quote:
i most certainly can

the same way i can say "white men can't jump" even though it's clear this statement is not true when pertaining to certain individuals.

as part of a group, kids are impetuous, irrational, self-indulgent narcissists who rarely understand the consequences of their actions and words.

i can point out any number of adults who share these features. so why am i giving children this description? because the majority of children share these traits, which makes the assumption and stereotyping apt.

so when i tell you that "kids are immature" you can go ahead and substitute those above traits into it and see exactly why your opinion is less valued
The majority of white men can in fact jump, which makes the assumption and stereotyping invalid. According to your logic. Terrible example btw.

Also arguments from the majority don't get you any philosophical ground because 99.99% of a population can believe something, that doesn't make it true. In the same way that I could argue how the majority of people do not think like you that "kids suck" but that doesn't mean the claim isn't true.

Is it justifiable to say that "men are murderers" because the majority of murderers are adult male men? No of course not. In the same way it's not justifiable to generalize all children, like you are doing, in saying that kids are "immature" or that they "suck". You haven't even defined what you mean by "immature" or "suck". I could ask you to justify how "kids suck" but obviously you wouldn't be able to without making grand assumptions/generalizations again.

Also you should re-read the quote that came with my example of the 14 year old berkeley graduate. I even bolded the part that I was responding to.

It's very obvious that you have some sort of anger associated with kids and young adults. Honestly I hope your not a parent already, please never become one.