Even if you hate religion, could you have respect for their faith?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mista Jangles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

I know that a lot of you hate religion and think its silly. I know a lot of you don't think very highly of people who are all up in your face about their faith. I know that a lot of you view faith as blind. But could you ever respect someone's faith?

In this thread I'm going to be picking on the Christian and Islamic communities of today's world. This thought was brought up as I was driving home and listening to 30 Seconds to Mars' song "Hurricane" which you can listen to yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJDPepGOAM

The chorus of this song goes "Tell me, would you kill to save a life. Tell me, would you kill to prove you're right?" It got me thinking about the two religions. The Christian community, while in first world countries looks like it has no problems, is actually the most persecuted religious group in the world. Millions of Christians die for their beliefs.

The Islamic community is represented by the radicals who make the world news. I understand that not all Muslims are terrorists, just like not all Christians are gay bashers. But I hear on the news so often about the Muslim extremism. I hear from missionaries in the middle east how members of the Christian community are killed from bombings by the Muslim jihadists.

One one end of the spectrum you have the man who is willing to die for what they believe, and on the other end you have the man who is willing to kill for what they believe.

Which person would you have more respect for? The martyr or the killer? Based on all of this could you ever respect someone for their faith?

Don't want to make a huge debate. Just want some discussion. I'm interested in all views on this.

John BIaze

12-29-2012

The statement is really only flawed in one respect, to me, what truly defines a martyr? Are they a person who goes out on a mission for their cause, and dies, or just someone who happens to die for their beliefs?

History is still on the fence about that.

Mista Jangles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

When I use the term, martyr, I'm talking about someone who dies for what they believe.

Powerstoned

12-29-2012

I respect the big religions and those that believe in them, as much as you respect scientology, satanism, and the mormons' golden tablets (and if you respect those, I REALLY don't respect you)

I'd have to say I respect the killer more than the matyr, because while it takes "crazy" to kill for one's religion, it takes "stupidity" to die for it.

John BIaze

12-29-2012

Well in that case. The martyr and the killer both deserve respect. The martyr is just another man without the killer.

vcadoda

12-29-2012

While one would like to respect the person who dies for their belief and not a person who kills for their belief.

A religion where one only dies for their belief will not be as successful as a religion that encourages people to kill opponents for their belief. As a end result we have a societies actively promoting their followers to kill opponents and shower them with fame and glory.

Dobagoh

12-29-2012

I have no respect for a man willing to die for his beliefs. A man should be willing to live for them. The man who kills for his beliefs, even better.

ThaBizness

12-29-2012

I have respest for anyones beliefs as long as they follow them.

Religion doesn't make sense to me because I can't imagine worshiping someone who never physically helped me before myself. I'm the only one making my life possible.

I have respect for Athiests as long as they don't try to argue against a Gods existince. If they don't think he exists it doesn't make sense to think about something you don't belive is real and to argue against it.

I respect anyone who follows their beiliefs and don't waiver.

I am thankful to Christians for taking the sword to people so as a white heterosexual male the world is mine.

Thefearlessman

12-29-2012

My problem with religon is that they do the most grusome things known

-The muslims kill gay people and hate science.

-The catholics molest young children

-The jewish religon acts like they are stronger people.

-Christanity mutalated people with the worst deaths possible, tearing people to bits

I dont try to be offenceive with what im saying, but the truth has to be told.

I dont hate people for thier beliefs, I just hate it when they spread it onto other people.

Mista Jangles

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
I have no respect for a man willing to die for his beliefs. A man should be willing to live for them. The man who kills for his beliefs, even better.
So, you have no respect for someone who lives for their beliefs, and then dies because they have lived for what they believe?