The Pirate Needs A Buff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AwesomeGuy09

12-27-2012

Well as the title says, our favorite pirate Gangplank needs a buff.
He is neither a decent top or jungle, he is in a weird position. Neither good or bad, he needs a little something to make him better, more viable in season 3, cause right now he doesn't really fit anywhere.

I am a Gangplank player, i own Spooky GP and SF GP, i play him a lot(almost like a main). and I personally feel that he is very weak.

Greenlee19

12-27-2012

Me too riot needs to figure out where too put him and adjust him accordingly

Sumthingstupid

12-27-2012

Gangplank is perfectly fine as a solo top atm

Darkotas

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumthingstupid View Post
Gangplank is perfectly fine as a solo top atm
Only against niche or weaker picks. He's very good if he gets ahead, but one mistake and he loses to most of the popular tops quickly. I feel like if he got lower costs, more tankiness, or the ability to cast w and e while moving he would be in a much better place.

Pizzatime89

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkotas View Post
Only against niche or weaker picks. He's very good if he gets ahead, but one mistake and he loses to most of the popular tops quickly. I feel like if he got lower costs, more tankiness, or the ability to cast w and e while moving he would be in a much better place.
what? hes amazing top, he can almost trade anyone because his passive is similar to Darius's passive. even if he cant fight his top lane he can farm with his q the whole time. its just his late game is **** because he does no damage unless he builds glass cannon, the tankyness is the only problem.

Arrevax

12-28-2012

I've had Gangplank for quite some time, and I'd love to see a little work done on him. However, I have no idea how that should be done...
As a solo top, he gets beaten down pretty easily, and he'll waste all of his mana if he uses his Q to harass (meleeing the typical solo top is nearly out of the question due to him being so squishy). He can become somewhat tanky via items, but this really cuts into his damage, and tankplank will never be as tanky as a more common solo top, such as Darius or Garen.
As jungle, he's very squishy and difficult to keep alive during his first clear. Vulnerable to counter jungling because he isn't fast and is likely to die if an enemy comes in on him. His ganks are also sub-par because he has no hard CC, only two slows.
Gangplank can go mid if he can dodge skillshots (depending on who he's against). This is generally not a good idea because he will be outranged. His W can keep him safe from the hard CC that many mid characters employ.
AD carry is what GP was designed for, according to his tags, and he can do it competently. However, this is uncommon because he's melee. He does have a steroid, a free cleanse, and two offensive abilities... Honestly, I think ADC Gangplank could be high-tier if more people tried it, but again, melee adcs are difficult when laning against typical ranged ones, and they are looked down upon.
Supportplank is on the rise. Personally, I love playing as supportplank, because if you get him pickpocket, he becomes a second AD carry that doesn't need to kill minions, ever. He allows his carry to farm freely by suppressing the enemy adc, which can lead to easy kills for GP's carry. His only flaw for this role is that he can only give his adc a speed/AD boost. No heals, unless he takes summoner Heal, but I think he's better served taking Exhaust. He works rather well with AD carries with dashes/blinks, such as Vayne, Graves, Ezreal, and Corki. His W also allows him to absorb some damage for his adc and sustain himself, but he has to rush Philo stone (or Tear of the Goddess/manamune) to keep his mana up.

shadic33

12-29-2012

GP not to much sustain and is easily focused during team fights, if he has the majority of the kills. He can use a somewhat buff but not a major one.

Darkotas

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzatime89 View Post
what? hes amazing top, he can almost trade anyone because his passive is similar to Darius's passive. even if he cant fight his top lane he can farm with his q the whole time. its just his late game is **** because he does no damage unless he builds glass cannon, the tankyness is the only problem.
Buy Ninja Tabi, take Block or Doran's Shield, and you just negated a large portion of Parrrley. He does good damage, but it really depends on the enemy champ. His passive does less than Darius' and doesn't have any ratios (which would make GP so much better, imo) but the slow is good. His late game is still amazing, though.

If some of his nerfs were reverted, the power creep GP has suffered through might be lessened. All I want is to be able to withstand a full assault or do more instead of just passively farming all day.