The issue with ranked matches...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wahayv

12-18-2012

I see this question come up every so often, and every time it's shot down immediately. I would like to know why.

Why not have ranked blind pick matches as an alternative to draft pick. Myself and others seem to have a hard time swallowing the idea of someone else deciding what we get to play as. The general argument seems to be that draft pick is "more strategic", and that may be. There are people who love the meta aspect and that's great, but the rest of us have accustomed ourselves to certain champions and prefer the personal skill and variable aspect of blind pick. It doesn't jive with me for two players to dictate the course and aspects of a match via some ridiculous chess game completely outside of the gameplay itself.

TL;DR (for you ADD sufferers out there) - I think draft pick sucks and want to grow my e-fame with a separate blind pick game mode.

Marek

12-18-2012

The chess game isn't outside of the gameplay at all, it is an integral part of it. Blind pick was instituted for normal queues for those (like yourself) who care little for team compositions and really just want to pick up and play.

This is a fine way to enjoy the game, just not very conducive to a healthy competitive environment.

Wahayv

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
The chess game isn't outside of the gameplay at all, it is an integral part of it. Blind pick was instituted for normal queues for those (like yourself) who care little for team compositions and really just want to pick up and play.

This is a fine way to enjoy the game, just not very conducive to a healthy competitive environment.
Right, if you consider the meta aspect of the game as part of the gameplay. I'm saying that there's a percentage of people who prefer the blind pick mode over the draft pick mode because they're really different games. So, why is it that the only ranked games are draft pick?

Wahayv

12-31-2012

Understand, I'm someone who likes the in-game strategic aspects of the game. I like outsmarting laning opponents, playing the "weak" champs and making unconventional strategies work. I've never run into a counter I couldn't beat, just by playing smarter than them, and I've never seen a feed that couldn't have been broken with the right strategy. That's why It annoys me to see people surrendering when they've died a couple times or when the other team is up 10 kills. That's why I find it ridiculous to see people obsess over builds and statistics and that's why it kind of annoys me that ranked is done up like this pre-calculated game. I have no desire to learn the meta beyond what I naturally get by osmosis while playing, simply because I don't believe it has much bearing on my playstyle (assuming I get to do my thing) and I have more important things to do. That means that the current setup for ranked is not for me.

Maybe It's asking too much to change an aspect of the game for one person, but I wonder how many others feel the same way....and if any other games do it better...