Give Orianna "heat" instead of mana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

02-21-2012

Orianna the Lady of Clockwork

My personal issue with Orianna is her mana dependency. Like Cassiopeia, Orianna actively requires multiple abilities in order to do anything effectively. For example, Dissonance requires Attack or Protect to have also been cast. Unfortunately, Orianna lacks the luxury of Deadly Cadence.. I think Orianna should be manaless.

Heat-System

Orianna's abilities have no cost, and so the use of her abilities is limited only to cooldowns. Instead, she uses Strain as her secondary resource bar that represents how tasked her Ball is. The Ball starts with 0 strain, and it caps at 100.

Orianna's basic abilities generate 20 strain when used. When the Ball reaches 50 strain, it starts overclocking in order to increase performance, causing Orianna's basic abilities to have enhanced effects. When the Ball reaches 100 strain, it powers down for 6 seconds while it reboots. After rebooting, Orianna's ball will immediately return to Orianna.

While not offline, after 4 seconds of not using her basic abilities the Ball will start losing strain at a rate of 5 every half second, and 2.5 seconds later at a rate of 10 every half second.

Energy-System

Orianna's abilities have no cost, and so the use of her abilities is limited only to cooldowns. Instead, she uses Energy as her secondary resource bar that represents her Ball's energy level. The Ball starts with 200.

Orianna's basic abilities cost 40 energy. When the Ball is below half energy (100/105), it starts overclocking in order to increase performance. Being "Overclocked" enhances Orianna's basic abilities. When the Ball is reduced to 0 energy, it powers down for 6 seconds whilst it regenerates all its energy. After rebooting, Orianna's ball will immediately return to Orianna. While not offline and not out of range, energy regenerates at 50 per 5 seconds. This is halved whilst on the ground.

The Ball does not benefit from energy regeneration runes.

Abilities

(Q): Command: Attack
(Active): Orianna commands her ball to fly towards target location, dealing magic damage to all enemies that the ball passes through and that are on the destination area. However, the ball deals 10% less damage for each subsequent target hit down to a minimum of 40% damage done. Her ball remains behind at that location afterwards.
(Overclocked): Command: Attack has a 30% increase cast range, and the Ball has increased movement speed.

(W): Command: Dissonance
Orianna commands the Ball to emit an electric pulse around its current location, dealing magic damage to all units around it and leaving an electric field on the area for 3 seconds. The field speeds up allies and slows enemies that walk over it. This effect diminishes to normal over 2 seconds after leaving the area.
(Overclocked): Command: Dissonance has a 30% increase area of effect.

(E): Command: Protect
(Passive): The allied champion the Ball is currently attached to is granted bonus armor and magic resistance.
(Active): Orianna commands the Ball to protect the target allied champion, instantly relocating it to their possition and shielding them from damage for 4 seconds.
(Overclocked): Command: Protect will also damage enemies around her target equal to 70% of the shield strength.

Key changes:
• Manaless
• "Overclocked" effects.
• Command: Protect now instantly shields her target.

Whiplashxe

02-21-2012

An interesting thought, but I don't really think she should get a mechanic change to make her function like rumble. that, of course, its just my opinion and out might be interesting to see how other players or riot feel on it.

mi ramfan

02-21-2012

I wouldn't mind this, the "heat" system is a lot more interesting and a lot less stereotypical then the mana system, and I'd love to see it used more.

(full disclosure: I main rumble)

Halmrage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

mm heat is what makes rumble unique though. I think she would be better with a more "Wind Up" system.

An example being everytime she casts a spell she winds her self up 1 stack up to the max of X stacks. This amount of stacks on her wind up could be applied to her ult as bonus damage or something of the sort.

good point though, less mana reliant champs would be nice.

DatOneBrutha

02-21-2012

What's the point of this?

Hjørne

02-21-2012

You do and I'll have to cut someone... >.>

DON'T TOUCH MY ORI!

3mptylord

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneBrotha View Post
What's the point of this?
She is too mana dependent to function properly without either being overpowered or underpowered. Energy/heat systems allow for burst-control without restricting long-term play. Renekton's Fury used to be unique, but it was later adapted for other champions. But if players truly feel against Heat, but not a manaless system, what about energy?

Orianna's abilities cost 40 energy. Whilst below 100 energy, the Ball starts overheating and begins overclocking itself in order to increase performance: this enhances Orianna's abilities. At 0 energy, the Ball cuts out and Orianna must wait for all energy to regen in order to continue.

The issue with her kit is that she requires multiple spells in order to effectively utilize any particular spell. This would be like paying mana to move on a typical champion. Her kit requires repositioning her ball, but that isn't free. Dissonance effectively has a hidden cost, the cost to put it somewhere. And such.

And alternative you be to make

Q: Command: Move
(Active) Orianna commands her ball to move to the target location or unit. No cost.

E: Command: Interact
(Active): If the ball is at a location or enemy: deal damage. If target is ally: shield.

Helyous

12-30-2012

I liked the idea of she using "Winding Up" but I think it would work differently.

She would begin with 200 wind up points.
Her skills would cost like 5-10 wind up points.
While out of combat for 5 minutes she would regen her wind up points.
If she runs out of wind up points she would become stunned for 6 seconds while she winds herself up completely. Since she isn't a fully wind-up based automaton, her defense and magic res. would rise up while winding up.

It would surely fits amazingly her theme.

CerealBoxOfDoom

12-30-2012

didnt read all that but orianna with heat would be funny.

Shadily

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

you took rumble and tossed his resource system into ori and came out with what could potentially be a way more than necessary re-work. Ori as is is one of the strongest mids in the game. The tweaking she received months ago was far more than enough. She's now reliable in most situations and solid as she stands.

I'm going to say no to this, sorry.