Score Unequal to Performance.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PerfectBlend

12-28-2012

My head hurts so bad when people try to enlighten me about how since their game score puts them at #3 their K/D Ratio of 4 - 15 doesnt matter in Dominion.

A few things to consider....

If 3 people stop to recap mid, instead of 1 capping while the other two run up to cap contest windmill... They all get 40 capture pts.

If you're on Bottom generally your score is gonna be lower as it tends to lead to less teamfights, less assists, and less back and forth capping.

No matter what.... if you feed the enemy team they are getting stronger making it much harder for the rest of your teammates.

Standing on top of a point all day raises your score, as does running back and forth through a cap point or even just sitting close to a cap while its being captured.

Score is calculated by machines who are unable to see the actual context in which it is placed.

So while its not a bad system and can be pretty accurate at times. Do not argue that your horrendous individual combat performance should be excused because you were there to cap every point.

bierfaust

12-28-2012

This isn't exactly something new. It's more prevalent at low ELO when people play the score or K/D/A card to try and save face, but it is a consistent theme throughout DOM unfortunately.

Anyone worth their salt that plays this game knows that score is completely irrelevant and nobody can judge another players performance in DOM without actually spectating the game or being in that game themselves.

Personally I think they should just remove the score system all together as the only thing that matters in the end is who the winning team is.
The overall victory should be the only thing that people should be caring about, that, and the current in game score of the 2 teams playing. Those are the only things people need information about. Anything else is for show pony's and brings nothing to the game mode but arguments, controversy, and ego boosting. (Take your ego somewhere else please, I want to win)

naotasan

12-28-2012

Score is to help new players understand the game.
It's completely disregarded at higher levels of play.

bierfaust

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
Score is to help new players understand the game.
It's completely disregarded at higher levels of play.
And yet it teaches them bad habits.

Standing right on a point all day nets you points (you should be in the jungle or at the very least in the Fog so they don't know you're there)

Kills give points (This is my biggest issue. Kills and assists should give 0 points, however, healing teammates, buffing them, etc. should still give points)

You need to get more points from neutralising an enemy point when they have more points/towers than you at a given point in time. (this encourages people to neutralise the enemy's points when they are losing or have less towers)

Periodic messages that pop up like "If you're having trouble getting top back from the enemy, why not try and gank bot and take their tower instead, even if you don't win or get the tower you might force 1-2 people to recall giving you the chance to take top"

or

"Try hiding in the jungle and sending 1 person to cap the enemys middle tower, then jump the enemy when they try to come and stop you."

Redenbacher

12-28-2012

Well, the way I see it is that it's a hand-holding technique, but eventually the player will become better than the teacher.

Yea, it gives you points for sitting on a node. Well, if I'm level 2 and I'm still figuring out what 'Ability Power' means, I have no idea what jungle control is... nor should I. This thing is telling me to guard this point... that's probably a good idea.

Fast forward 28 levels. I now understand the difference between champions and appropriate item builds. I'm starting to get an idea for why jungle control is important. I have some decent mechanical skill with my champion. I think I should leave the point and keep an eye out for an assault.

My point being that anyone worth their oats in Dominion will learn more effective ways to win instead of getting the most points. I don't remember the last time someone bragged about points in one of my games. All anyone cares about is whether you won or lost.

So, yea, for higher level play, it's probably teaching bad habits... but you really shouldn't be learning anything from a point system at that level. It should be learned through experience. For low level play, it's fine. Nodes and teamwork are important... that's all the points really tell you.

That said, I like the pop-up message idea... as long as I can shut it off!

MyDeadGrandma

12-28-2012

The pop-up would probably be incredibly distracting if you forget to turn it off- which reminds me, I don't need to be told to capture points in the first 2 minutes of the game when trying to shop, tyvm Riot.

How about replacing the utterly useless dragon and baron / be a good sport tips at the loading screen with these pointers?

PerryEllis

02-08-2013

These point systems don't calculate teamwork accurately. What the points really do is help prove in tribunal if a player was afk. That's all I really get from it.

Orphane

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectBlend View Post
Snip
Pretty much. Anyone worth his salt in Dominion knows that points don't count for anything in the grand scheme of the game, and anyone who seriously uses points as a metric for effectiveness isn't worth listening to.

IronAegis

02-09-2013

I try to ignore the scores, but I do lend some credit to K/D/A. One dead opponent means one less person pushing you off the point, ganking, etc. Killing people is important, just not when it interferes with the overarching goal of winning, ie. chasing that almost dead Fizz into the jungle and getting lead right into the enemy team that respawned.

Killing good, giving up points/making stupid decisions for the sake of a kill, bad.