Teach Me How To Itemize

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qsario

01-01-2013

In terms of support items, look for what your team is lacking. Are you having trouble with stealth champions? Activate Twin Shadows! Getting CC'd to death? Crucible is a good buy (note: won't work vs. knockup), and it's worth considering merc. threads & banshee's veil for yourself.

Do you need better initiation? Look at who your initiator is. If they rely on gap closers, you probably want the Shard of True Ice, which you will use on them when they jump in so that their targets cannot escape due to the giant slow field it creates around them. If you're having trouble with speedy characters, Twin Shadows is also a great buy, because it's easier to use defensively and it can sniff out ambushes. Shureliya, of course, is pretty much always a good buy, as is Aegis. If (and only if) magic damage is bursting you down, go for the full bulwark. If you're AD-heavy and want sustain, Zeke's is nice, though I seem to build it less these days.

Oracles/pink wards are a good addition to your _mandatory_ ruby sightstone. I have to stop myself from filling up item slots and getting lazy here, though. Yes, the three-out-at-a-time rule kinda sucks. But you can buy regular wards too and hopefully the jungler will get one too, especially if he's Lee Sin. You can also pink ward important objectives (dragon/baron) and sort of let your other wards roam around wherever your team is at the time.

Flask is a very overlooked item, given the usual philo rush. Screw philo stone. Start flask+wards, rush sightstone, never look back. You can build your sustain later, the sightstone saves you more money than anything else. I know some disagree with that, but I've never found a reason to regret that start.

With all the item activations to manage, artificer tends to be a good investment for supports.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

01-01-2013

To get a better understanding of why the guides say to build something, use the LoL wiki: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki

It provides very detailed information on every champion and is a terrific resource. Look at the base damage and the scaling on abilities. Look at ranges, cool downs, and base champion stats like movement speed. Spend some time reading the items on the website. Read ALL the masteries. Spend some time in the rune store. League isn't a game you can really play casually and do well in. If you want to do well and be able to make your own builds, spend some time doing your homework and getting to know the game.