Question about the Constittution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deãth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2012

So i'm writing a paper about the ruling of "Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission", and i was wondering, is there any amendments in the constitution that say that a person is unable to do something?

Namely i'm asking is there any "negative" amendments?

Colonel J

12-28-2012

I'm pretty sure that the Constitution is only about how the government should be run.

The Bill of Rights is what has amendments and is what is tacked on at the end. There are no "negative" ones to my recollection.

Deãth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Constitution is only about how the government should be run.

The Bill of Rights is what has amendments and is what is tacked on at the end.
No...

The Constitution is what gives the people liberties and says what they are legally entitled to do as citizens. The Bill of Rights is the first 10 Amendments and considered the inalienable rights that everyone is entitled to, citizen or not.

Dobagoh

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deth View Post
No...

The Constitution is what gives the people liberties and says what they are legally entitled to d o as citizens. The Bill of Rights is the first 10 Amendments and considered the inalienable rights that everyone is entitled to, citizen or not.
He is right about the constitution, you are wrong.

Source: I have spent two years of my life studying the constitution, legally. The only liberty the constitution itself gives to anyone is the liberty to run for federal elected official

Deãth

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
He is right about the constitution, you are wrong.

Source: I have spent two years of my life studying the constitution, legally.
How so?

Dobagoh

12-28-2012

Quote:
How so?
I don't need to explain anything to you. As you add making the positive statement about the constitution it should be easy for you to id where it gives people liberties.

I can wait for a very long time.

Article Section and Clause please.

Deãth

12-28-2012

Quote:
I don't need to explain anything to you. As you add making the positive statement about the constitution it should be easy for you to id where it gives people liberties.

I can wait for a very long time.

Article Section and Clause please.
In my opinion the whole point of the Constitution is to state the rights of the people, am i wrong?

Also can you answer the actual question of the thread since you're a law student?

Dobagoh

12-28-2012

Quote:
In my opinion the whole point of the Constitution is to state the rights of the people, am i wrong?
Maybe you should read the consti tution before you give more "opinions"

Quote:
Also can you answer the actual question of the thread since you're a law student?

Deãth

12-28-2012

Quote:
What do you mean by negative right
I mean an article that says you aren't allowed to do something, like prohibition but that wasn't later removed.

Dobagoh

12-28-2012

Then just 13 and 26 then.