Warding and 3s

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ahskance

12-28-2012

Traditionally, the new map has been ward-less, and for good reason. A well placed ward can stop a wealth of movement and force the map into a stagnant stare-down. Some champs can provide this vision anyway (here's looking at you Teemo), but in a way, that's a perk of the champion you picked.

However, I'd like to posit the concept of a 30 second ward that costs 20 gold each and has half the vision radius of the standard ward (as the map itself is smaller). The short time limit would force player upkeep (rather than a drop and forget for 3 minutes of safety) and a more Pro player would recognize someone ducking off screen for a sec and track a mental 30 second mark off in their head.

The reason I suggest this is two-fold:
Firstly, some champions are granted this advantage via their kit, but a lot of champions don't have that. With the proximity of the map, face-checking happens more than a lot, and it would be nice to have a high-maintenance solution.

Secondly, the map really can and does turn into a battle royale at times. By this, I refer to the saying, "'Laning phase'? F--k the 'laning phase' We start in the KILLING PHASE. My CS is my Kill Counter!"

The first point is less important than the second, to be honest. The second has a very strong capability to shut out entire sections of champions. First instance, ADCs (and "squishies" in general) are ridiculed on this map. Not because they can't tear faces off, but because the map itself provides serious gank-heavy possibility and with a 5 minute "Laning phase" (or less), the very weak opening to said ADC is still in effect. Their three abilities vs. the three abilities of a driving bruiser is minimal, so they get owned, yipped at, and often shut down.

Assassin comp teams (three gankers) work wonders in the map, and destroy any sense of area ownership (short of "They are everywhere, and they will kill you").

Perhaps, the time amount could be smaller and serve a slightly different purpose. 15 seconds with a 12 gold cost. While this wouldn't be enough time to sufficiently "protect" an area, it would be great for those that are coming around behind a laner for a gank. To drop and see how much of their team is responding behind them in the few second window.

TLDR: Hopefully it was worth reading, but consider a ward for 30 seconds costing 20g a shot with half the vision radius. It's expensive, and short, but it would give the option to slow down some of the gank-crazed nature and create a bit of a laning phase for the classes that need it.

PDiddy

12-28-2012

You know...they have 2 items that allow quick vision of an area, on a pretty low cd.

Ahskance

12-28-2012

Sure, 10 seconds out of 60. So if you hit a high traffic area then it's warded for 1/6th of the map if kept up. However, it also has two "downsides"

One, the "reveal" shows invisible things/champions, which is more powerful than just the vision a standard ward would provide.

Two, the item costs enough to take the first few minutes to acquire. The purpose of the fairly low cost ward is that it can help slow the first few minutes down a bit to aid in the creation of a laning phase.

Also, it's worth noting that in order to place a ward, you have to move to the location desired (which is naturally going to be a contested/trafficed area). That puts you in proximity to danger if they were making a move on you, and it momentarily pulls you away from CSing or farming the jungle. So that's a small drop in XP or gold if you want the view. The two "reveal" items have a range on them and don't really pull you away as much as a ward would.