Runeterra, the Universe.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vilosophe

12-28-2012

To Whom It May Concern,

(read: @IronStylus, @Morello, @gypsylord, @CertainlyT, @Meddler, @Guinsoo, @RiotRunaan, @Harrow, @kitae, ...)

Essentially I come to present a bundle of ideas which may or may not help improve League of Legends. I'm quite sure that I could have included at least a couple dozen other Rioters in the line above, but this shall do for now.

In this post I'll largely be talking 'universe'. I suppose you guys/gals would reference it with IP, but on the whole, what we both aim to present is a unified Runeterra which is believable by its own ruleset. Let me warn you here and now: I have a tendency to be rather verbose - especially in writing.

Additionally, I do not believe in TL;DRs. Caveat Lector.

As you might be able to infer from the people addressed earlier, this is Champion and Lore based. The way they look, interact and form relations within Runeterra (not necessarily solely the League).

I feel you drift away slightly from what was originally one of the appealing features of League of Legends: it did not take itself that serious. Sure, it was extremely serious about providing solid fun, but was more than willing to poke fun of itself whilst doing so. One need only look at the first bunch of champions: Annie, Shaco, Gragas and a whole slew of others. What other game would present you with a crying mummy? Even if the champions themselves might be serious, they were given a silly look, quote ("Is that a rocket in your pocket?") or even hidden special (e.g. Nidalee's 'cougar' passive.)

Over time, the League turned darker, more grim and went all super srs faes. Perhaps, as you are wont to say, it's simply cadence. In that case, it's something that pops up more and more often and needs to be looked at closely and rapidly. We've had the Dudepocalypse, Boobpocalypse and a bunch of other things which were all to blame on 'cadence'. I do feel that's not the case here. Despite you guys releasing a Ziggs or Lulu, even those had a darker undertone and at best could bring a slight sigh of relief after the Dariuses, Elises, Syndras, Dianas, Zyras, Rengars, Zeds, Varuses, ...that were unleashed upon the League. It took a community push to get a silly skin for Ziggs. And Riven. Perhaps that might help strengthen the feeling that the League could use some light-heartedness.

So, suggestion no. 1: add some silliness to League. I'm not saying that instead of the whole endless stream of gloomy grim we should have Shiny Happy Yordles running rampant. You could add the occasional champion (occasional, not rare) or focus on a few silly skins. That works for me. In the recent Slay Belle Katarina fiasco, one of the suggestions (I believe it was IronStylus who made it) was that she could drop off the Candy Cane during her poledance. That's great. That would work.

Next, one of the things I feel DotA2 does particularly well is making their Champions come to life. I've no interest in sparking a debate between the two camps (as it's entirely irrelevant to what I'm trying to say), but merely looking at a list of quotes for the Voice Overs the champions have should amply demonstrate my point. I feel there's a huge amount that can be done here without all that much effort to liven up champions.

Suggestion no. 2: Add more quotes to Champions. This includes, but is not limited to, a Global Taunt upon First Blood, copious Champion Interaction (Graves/TF, Volibear/Zilean, Vi/Caitlyn or even the Shadow Isle altars all serve as excellent examples), a bigger palette of responses (why stop at one taunt or two jokes? Why stop at 3 move responses. Add some idle responses. Skarner's bush quote works great. Warcraft had 'on click' jokes - the options are numerous. You guys were looking for ways to expand upon the Lore. I feel you are overlooking something that's right in front of you, something every Summoner will interact with more than they ever would a Website or Forums.

Speaking of Lore, you have, over time, created a number of possibilities for new Champions with ties to present Champions. There has been mention of Kog'maw's father or Kassadin's daughter to name but a few. You have created some already (Tristana/Rumble/Teemo being one of the very first). I honestly feel you could do more with this. Quite clearly there's an interest as these keep popping up on the forums regularly. However, it seems like you are actually going the other way. With the rewrites of the Lore, you often go to great lengths to remove references to other champions. I really feel this weakens the universe you are trying to present. This is all we have to infer relations and the way Noxus, Demacia etc. are organised. It is useful for us to know that Katarina went to get Sion. Or that she's dating Garen on the side. Why? Because it makes the world more related and relatable. It gives us a basis for comparison in regard to their powers. Champions do not exist in a vacuum. They don't solely fight in the Proving Grounds. Does Gragas have a drinking buddy in Olaf? We don't know. This is why skins like Sinful Succulence Morgana or Tyrant Swain add so much. This is why lore that has Champions interact with each other adds so much. It allows us to fill in the world beyond Summoner's Rift.

There were Lore Events. Noxus vs Ionia is even referenced in game with an Item. Summoners could decide the outcome of actual Lore. Through playing a game. You have ramped this up a bit with the recent Shadow Isles event, for which I laud you, but I feel you are overlooking a great many opportunities which you already used prior.

Therefore: suggestion no. 3: create interacting and interactive Lore. It will make Runeterra a firmer place in our minds. You have stepped up in a way, with Leona/Diana, Kha'zix/Rengar and Vi/Caitlyn, but overlook previous seeds planted in older lore.

TL;DR: I told you I don't do those. It's only a thousand words. Get to it.

IS1b9658da2596f2ad5b7d9

12-28-2012

Bamp.

WhaleIord

12-28-2012

bamp

Acolarh

12-28-2012

I like and support this.

Blaine Tog

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilosophe View Post
Additionally, I do not believe in TL;DRs. Caveat Lector.
That's ok. TL;DRs still believe in you.

Acolarh

12-28-2012

I will say though that I think they've done some of this with Lulu and Ziggs lately. They're pretty whimsical. But as a whole they could get back to more fun, silly ideas. At least occasionally.

supermuffin28

12-28-2012

Great ideas!

Vilosophe

12-28-2012

Thanks for the support

AmnFshn

12-28-2012

One thing I want to mention, is that when they released the new TT, they talked about how Evelynn's background is still very mysterious and they don't want to give it away. And to that, I reply, how much of the lore do you want to keep as a secret, Evelynn's and in general? Seems like laziness to me, unless they have planned on something mind-blowing that will unfold all kinds of secrets about Runeterra, champion lores etc. I DOUBT THAT THOUGH.

Please, put some effort on the goddamn lore, you created a fantasy world, and then you stopped developing it, that's mean and step up your game, if you aren't going all in and want to keep everything under covers, then well good luck with that then.

Bendak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2012

Riot hates lore and anything that smacks of real work.