How are AD mids like Pantheon and Talon viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sneeringer

01-08-2013

To me, it would seem like by sacrificing your source of AP damage, the other team could just build armor and win.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it only viable if you have another strong source of AP like Galio top, Lulu/Sona support, Fiddlesticks jungle or does it work even if your team is pure AD?
2) Is the idea basically to pick a strong snowball champion and feed off of the weak AP mage and win the game by shutting down their mid while also feeding a snowball champion?

It seems like a good idea and I'm interested in it, but I need to know more about the role before I try it

pineluv

01-08-2013

1) it'd be nice to have an ap in there to avoid all of your damage being easily mitigated by one or two items. but it's not necessary, assuming your team can snowball and destroy, as an all ad team will do. i've won games where the setup was entirely ad for us. our mechanics and AA power destroyed the enemy team, which was playing standard.

2) yup. it's all about an immaculate early game and finishing quick. a friend of mine picked talon mid in draft second. this is usually a bad idea, but somehow the enemy mid went annivia and got himself hard countered. he went something like 8/0/1, and with few sources of ap damage from us, we forced a surrender at 20.

adc

01-08-2013

Armor doesn't really counter AD casters so much with LW + BC + other armor penetration. 400 armor becomes 150 armor nearly instantly. You feed off their APC and shove the other lanes ahead, pressing a strong early advantage.

gankas kon

01-08-2013

Because in team fight with talon the ap carry is my target and is someone I can 100-0

Doesn't matter that you have an ap if theyre dead before they know it.

I can also 100-0 the ADC and at least take a chuck out of the jungler.

SeiYouSiLa

01-08-2013

it's just anti-mage so the enemy's AP carry does wont have a good time laning

TERRORIST WlNS

01-08-2013

Haven't seen pan mid yet but talon mid is very viable because of his abilities by lvl 3 he can burst down the ap champs and just do lots of damage to their ap casters his e will silence and jumps to them then his q will make the enemy champ bleed and it also does extra physical damage and his w will shoot out blades and slows dow the units it hits and his r will shoot blades in a ring around him and he becomes invisible. He has one of the greatest dps in the game in my opinion

Charcole

01-08-2013

There are multiple factors involved. Most AD mids have great mobility/escape. One of the best AD mids is Lee Sin as he has essentially 3 escapes( QQ an enemy/minion, W an ally/minion, and flash), panth has his jump/ult, talon has his jump/ult.

Another reason is you can 100 - 0 someone easily as most AP mids are squishy. Not only that but a lot of AP mids have MR runes/masteries (until a higher elo/better player comes along).

Like you asked, yes the team must have another source of AP damage otherwise the team can just build straight armor. Singed/Swain/Kat/Fiddle/eve/kayle/amumu/zyra sup/ lux sup/ many other other sources of AP teammates.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-08-2013

Not all tops are AD. You can play an AP top and even an AP jungle as well to make up for having an AD mid.

proxzee

01-08-2013

ive rolled wukong mid quite a few time when our mid had been counterd and can do better at top hes probably one of the best ad casters out there with his ability to mitigate all of a persons armour with crushing blow LW and BC and runes/masteries my wu set up gives me 103%+23flat armour pen doesnt matter what u hit u hurt it and if its an ap or ad carry they die be4 they land from the ulti knock up but an all ad team is generally risky even if its not too difficult to pierce atlast 60% of someones armour

Durzaka

01-08-2013

BC and LW reduce the effectiveness of the build armor strategy.