Curious about lanes....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnglishLanguage1

01-10-2013

Mostly the difference between playing them. Ok mid is obvious enough, but is there any real difference between playing top and bot? Admittedly I've mostly just been playing vs AI since I've started and that might be skewing my view a bit, but I've played mostly top, but I never notice a large difference in bot.

LogicalTautology

01-10-2013

In 'real' games (meaning games played between 10 people who are level 30), top is a solo lane and bot is a duo lane.
Top has a single champion who is usually fairly tanky with some built-in sustain.
Bot has a glass-cannon AD Carry who will focus on CSing as well as possible, and a 0-CS Support champion who builds Auras and other items to complement the team without needing much gold.

EnglishLanguage1

01-10-2013

Ah, ok. That does make some sense.

Related:When is a lane considered "won"?

LogicalTautology

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLanguage1 View Post
Ah, ok. That does make some sense.

Related:When is a lane considered "won"?
Rough gauge: Once teams start grouping up, as opposed to everyone mostly staying in lane with the occasional roam, then the person in a given lane with the most gold acquired so far has generally won the lane.

EnglishLanguage1

01-10-2013

Ah. I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

JevelFaithful

01-10-2013

While we're on the subject : a Season3 update.
Depending where you play (normal vs ranked), you might not see a jungler. in that case, top lane is generally a bruiser + what ever is the last pick. It's pretty dependant on composition and pretty unstable so far.
I heard in some place, lane switches are becoming more common. That generally is bot and top switching so that it's carry+suport vs bruiser. Just a note.
I personally haven't seen it so far tought. take that as you wish.
You might also see people starting going mid with a bruiser.

Btw, welcome to the game.

Dextino

01-10-2013

Further clarification on whether or not you win your lane:

If you are more useful than your lane opponent, then you won your lane. If you have 5 kills, 100 more CS than them and their tower but they're contributing more to their team then you still lost your lane. You may have facerolled him, but he's still doing more for his team than you for yours.