Vi, what the heck? (How to play?)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KTM90

12-22-2012

Foreward: I have never played Vi before and I am definitely not a Vi expert, but I am perfectly capable of formulating strategies with champions I have never played before and often times I implement them when I do. See the end of this text for the gist of what I think would be an effective strategy.
A summary of strategies is at the bottom.
Read Oxyl's Post as well.

What the heck...
I know that she's a brand new champion and that the chance of being stuck in a game with sub-par players is high, but I've been in a few games with someone playing as Vi now and I just don't think that she's being used right at all. When I go to play a champion that's new to me I read up on them and formulate a few strategies first, but it seems like most players don't feel like doing that. What irked me the most is that the people playing as Vi that I was in the laning with seemed completely inept at getting kills early to mid game. There's only so much I can do to slow, drag them back, and root them before they can just walk away from me and Vi still has not done enough damage. I've looked at her abilities and AD ratios and she can obviously cause some serious damage, so I'm going to go ahead and poke a few suggestions around about ways I think one can improve their game with Vi.

Everyone knows that Denting Blows
It's not as ideal as a high damage ability for last hitting, but if you've got some increased attack speed then you'll basically hit it three times before anything else kills it and most likely land the minion kill. 30% more attack speed from rank 1 is all the more reason I see to train it: you'll start ripping apart your target once you get going with it. No matter how much health your enemy has you'll always be dealing damage well against it with every third blow knocking off a percentage and lowering their armor.

Vault Breaker's Treasure
You should train this skill second since it can somewhat serve as a second Flash and since Denting Blows alone cannot trigger your passive. Yes the knock back is trivial, but it's still enough to nudge the enemy out of the way when your teammates are trying to land skill shots. Be mindful of champions around you that have to have good positioning for their abilities to be more effective, but feel free to use Vault Breaker otherwise. Seeing how Vi is something of a tanky dps she should be the second one launching into the fray after the tanky champion initiates. If you're chasing and you plan to use Vault Breaker you should make sure that you're not going to get in the way of a skill shot. I like to play as Nautilus and it's quite frustrating when someone gets eager to score (as characters like Vayne or even AP Alistar) and they knock them out of the way of a Dredge Line that would have brought the opponent back to us, then there's a miraculous escape and me shooting a glare at my teammate. On a final note remember that you'll slow down a bit when you start charging Vault Breaker, so don't use it if they are near the edge of its range.

Using the Vault Door as a Blast Shield
As I was just saying you should probably use Vault Breaker to trigger your passive when starting a fight. You should definitely consider racking up some health on Vi to increase the effectiveness of your Blast Shield because as a dps character you'll be one of the primary targets. Frozen Mallet will make everyone happy when you use Vault Breaker to chase because you can slow them down with your melee attacks. Whether you're chasing or initiating you should definitely use Vault Breaker first and save your ultimate in case they use flash. If you're in the middle of a fight and your Blast Shield cool down is over it might be better to use Excessive Force to trigger it again as it doesn't require the wind up.

Excessive Farm
Excessive force extends the range of your last-hitting across a group of minions rather than just a single target. If you've got two charges of it loaded up you can probably clear a weakened minion wave quite easily once you have some significant AD bonuses. However it should be noted that this ability is relatively weak until you get more bonus damage, so don't train it much early on (maybe post ultimate (6)?). The weakness of this ability also makes it bad for early harassment, so don't waste your mana on doing that.

The Battering Assault
It just annoys me to see when people do this: don't just randomly chain in Assault and Battery. Vi can do significant damage with her auto attacks and you should focus on those rather than using a lot of abilities. You should initiate with Vault Breaker and if Vault Breaker is on cool down you should just run in. This ultimate is of course useful for last hitting, especially on escaping targets, and you can frustrate people when they waste their flash trying to get away only to have you dash up to them again. If you're in a group fight you should definitely try to pass through as many targets as possible with your ultimate, much like I try to get Nautilus' Depth Charge to pass through as many enemies as I can to deal damage to all of them.

Bottom Line:
-A lot of your damage should come from auto attacks with Denting Blows.
-Use Vault Breaker when you start a fight to trigger your passive.
-Vault Breaker can also be used as a flash as one can pass through terrain.
-Excessive Force is very weak early on and should be invested in later.
-Save Assault and Battery for finishing blows and countering Flash escapes.

Oyxl

12-22-2012

Quote:
Bottom Line:
-A lot of your damage should come from auto attacks with Denting Blows.

This is one way to build her. You can go full AD (Q + E + W + R) or you can go IAS/AD, which benefits her W the most.

-Use Vault Breaker when you start a fight to trigger your passive.

Vault breaker is also an escape. Her passive gets triggered by E as well, so why not use that?

-Vault Breaker can also be used as a flash as one can pass through terrain.

Good tip, makes sense.

-Excessive Force is very weak early on and should be invested in later.

Excessive Force is too strong early game. If you push it, you will also push your lane and this might be a stupid thing to do. So we agree, but for entirely opposite reasons.

-Save Assault and Battery for finishing blows and countering Flash escapes.

Your R is actually more than just a finishing blow mechanism. While it is wise to save it for mid to low hp, you can counter Nunu Ult, Kat ult, etc etc by going in with your own. So use it wisely, rather than by default. Countering Flash escapes is indeed one of those lovely things about her R.
I agree with your suggestion that Vi seems to lack something early game. I've been playing her solo top and a clean kill is very, very hard to get. Her Q is very obvious to the opponent so they have multiple seconds of time to react, her W is based on IAS and her E doesn't seem to do the job on most champions, but remains a very steady minion scraper.

Vi plays a bit like Jayce. Jayce has excellent plays early game, but against opponents that have escapes or simply out-bruiser him solo top, he is better off going for the farm and pushing opponents out of the lane, which hurts their creep farm. Therefore, Vi only seems to excell from mid to end game, once she has some gear to either take the punches, or throw them herself.

I've been experimenting with a full bruiser build with her. On bots, mind you;

1. Start with Boots + 3 pots
2. Get Phage asap
3. Warmogs
4. Atma's or Blade of the Ruined King depending on tankiness of the opposing team.
5. Phage > Frozen Mallet
6. Maw of Malmortius
7. Warmogs

So that would make;
1. Ninja Tabi + alac
2. Frozen Mallet
3. Warmogs
4. Atma or Ruined
5. Maw of Malmortius
6. Warmogs

You role, mostly disruption, use R on the carry in the back, follow up with E, another E, hitting all targets in front of you. Q escaping targets and hope your team either helped you finish them of or visa versa. She still deals proper damage, but isn't such an amazing glass cannon. Frozen Mallet is her perma slow, since it also offers HP and AD, while Q and E also provide stacks of W.

Well, that's the theory anyways. But yes, I agree, her early game, especially solo, is not one of killing. Jungler help might fix that.

Mastery build:
see attachment.

My Rune build isnt finished yet, but is a mix of the classic AD + ARMOR + MR runes.

KTM90

12-22-2012

Jayce will have a much easier time harassing than Vi ever will though.
Like I said I have never played Vi and there's a good chance I misunderstood the mechanics behind her Excessive Force ability. It's natural for one to find out new things and adapt as needed mid game. I did say that one could also use Excessive Force to trigger Blast Shield rather than Vault Breaker, which might be a good idea if your opponent is good at escaping, but it's just my defensive side that wants to have the shield up as soon as possible to counter the opening attacks.
While I did not specifically say that one could use Vault Breaker as an escape I was meaning to imply it by saying it could be used as a second flash. That's also a good point about her Assault and Battery being able to counter some other ultimates.

Generous Lover

12-29-2012

Kym90 Your assessment of the skill order to level up is pretty much the opposite of what all the pros and streamers have suggested.

E is an attack reset on an ammo system it Is an early game oriented ability, dueling, harassing, pushing, low mana cost, it does it all. Also thanks to high AD ratios and AOE it scales pretty solid late game too. Max this first or second depending on matchup.

Denting blows works similar to silver bolts maxing it first is pretty useless, the % HP is good late game when people actually have % hp to take off. The very first point gives you 6% HP and 30% AS the last point gives you 10% hp and 50% AS the per level scaleing is horrible you get over half the benefit eith just one point, do not max this early. (You get the attackspeed AFTER you land a full stack in case that's not clear.)

Q has high damage and an extreme cool down at early ranks maxing this first or second is beat depending on the matchup.

You seem just as lost as the people you are bashing, only you have the audacity to make a guide with no experience and little understanding bravo.