Help Please :(

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlazinYordle

12-27-2012

I've just began to play League of Legends and I must say this is a very difficult game to learn and to become good at. I have friends that play this game and they have guided me fairly well through this game so far. The best game I have had so far was last night and I went 17-6-18 with Garen. My usuall game are bad. 2-6 or -6-6. It usually average or below average. I find myself loving to harass or just focusing on the Champs and trying to kill them immediately. I've been improving my CS every game. In team fights I know not to really focus a tank and mainly focus an ADC or someone who will deal a lot of champs. I have trouble with dying to fast. Should I just focus on not dying first rather than killing. Because it is kinda better to go 0-0-0 rather than 1-8-2 I guess. I just feel like everything I do is wrong and leads to death no, so i question my every move. Is there any tips I can get so I can improve? Should I just stick with one champ and just keep learning the items and stuff like that? Or should I learn a few champs from each lane? Please help :/ I like this game, but I don't know how much longer I can go with doing average or below average.

MicKretz

12-27-2012

learn things like:

-Last Hitting
-Item builds for the champs you play
-Understanding the "balance" of lanes (minions) and how they push and get pushed
-taking Global Objectives (towers/inhibs/dragons/baron) after kills/team fights you win
-Proper Harrassing/trading shots with players/when to trade
-Diff Roles that most ppl consider Meta: ADC,AP,AD etc
-Learn the diff lanes/how they work.how they gank

hope any of them help and u can better ur LoL experience

Phoenix0Wright

12-27-2012

Remember that a friendly death prevented has the same net gold advantage as a kill gained for your team. For example, if you don't die, that means the enemy is denied the 200 gold they would've gained from killing you.

The thing that jumped out at me in your post was that you love to harass your laning opponent and kill them immediately. In general, this is a bad idea. You need to focus on CS first and foremost, and then harass them when an opportunity arises. Remember, a kill is typically only worth 10-12 CS so it's not worth it to constantly try for one at the expense of creep gold. While learning, try to get AT LEAST 100 CS by the 20 minute mark and raise your goal as you improve.

Since you mentioned Garren, I'll use him as an example. Many bad Garren players simply hide in the bush while their opponent farms and then harass them when they get close enough. This certainly racks up damage on the enemy champion, but if it's all you do then you're missing out on all the gold from the creep waves. In the end, even if they kill the enemy champ they'll probably still be significantly behind in gold since he'll have so much more CS.

A much better strategy would be to focus on last hitting until your opponent comes close. Then, when they go in to last hit a creep, turn on your Q, silence them, and Spin. You'll most likely win the trade and you wont lose very much CS if any. Even if you lose the trade, Garren's passive lets him heal up quickly if you play safe for a bit. If you win enough trades like this, eventually you'll be able to zone them, denying them CS while free farming yourself.

Last, but certainly not least, buy wards. Wards win games. They save you from ganks, give you some Baron/Dragon control, and let you know where the enemy is at all times. Every player should buy some except the ADC in the laning phase.

EDIT: If you'd like I wouldn't mind playing a game with you to see what you do well/poorly. Add me in game and I can give you a much more in depth analysis.

Nascence

12-27-2012

Quote:
learn things like:

-Last Hitting
-Item builds for the champs you play
-Understanding the "balance" of lanes (minions) and how they push and get pushed
-taking Global Objectives (towers/inhibs/dragons/baron) after kills/team fights you win
-Proper Harrassing/trading shots with players/when to trade
-Diff Roles that most ppl consider Meta: ADC,AP,AD etc

hope any of them help and u can better ur LoL experience
This.

ChiSqrd

12-27-2012

This game and its community is extremely unfriendly to new players. Playing a lot and playing with experienced friends was how I got good at this game.

Manipulated

12-27-2012

Well, I'm fairly new to this game as well. What I did is I stuck with one champion and worked my way up until I'm used to it. Once I feel like I get the hang of that champion, I move onto a new one taking what I learned from that champion to this new one.

Boagster

12-27-2012

All of the suggestions so far are great. I can't reinforce how important it is to learn core mechanics of the game, like last hitting and lane freezing. I'd really like to elaborate on MicKretz's last point, though.

Quote:
This is an extremely important thing to understand, but there's more to it than just that.

After you really start to master the core mechanics, try to look into guides on the current "meta" (I know there is a really good one on mobafire.com, but I'm not home right now, so don't have access to the bookmark. I'll try to post it next week when I'm home). "The meta" is the currently accepted strategy, the way most players play the game and expect other players to play the game. "The meta" is by no means the only viable strategy, but it's always an extremely effective way to setup teams in the current state of the game. But knowing the strategy is only part of it - knowing why it's the strategy is just as important, and many, many players miss this. As you get better, if you know why people play certain characters in certain lanes or why we even use junglers, you'll be able to make strategy decisions unexpected by the other players, which will give you a huge edge in fights.

Admittedly, this is far less important, if not completely irrelevant, at low level play, but knowing now that eventually you'll want to look into this will greatly help your League career. Just as too many players don't know why we play the current "meta", I feel too many players think the current "meta" is the only way to play the game, which is one of the biggest farces going in the community.

BlazinYordle

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix0Wright View Post
Remember that a friendly death prevented has the same net gold advantage as a kill gained for your team. For example, if you don't die, that means the enemy is denied the 200 gold they would've gained from killing you.

The thing that jumped out at me in your post was that you love to harass your laning opponent and kill them immediately. In general, this is a bad idea. You need to focus on CS first and foremost, and then harass them when an opportunity arises. Remember, a kill is typically only worth 10-12 CS so it's not worth it to constantly try for one at the expense of creep gold. While learning, try to get AT LEAST 100 CS by the 20 minute mark and raise your goal as you improve.

Since you mentioned Garren, I'll use him as an example. Many bad Garren players simply hide in the bush while their opponent farms and then harass them when they get close enough. This certainly racks up damage on the enemy champion, but if it's all you do then you're missing out on all the gold from the creep waves. In the end, even if they kill the enemy champ they'll probably still be significantly behind in gold since he'll have so much more CS.

A much better strategy would be to focus on last hitting until your opponent comes close. Then, when they go in to last hit a creep, turn on your Q, silence them, and Spin. You'll most likely win the trade and you wont lose very much CS if any. Even if you lose the trade, Garren's passive lets him heal up quickly if you play safe for a bit. If you win enough trades like this, eventually you'll be able to zone them, denying them CS while free farming yourself.

Last, but certainly not least, buy wards. Wards win games. They save you from ganks, give you some Baron/Dragon control, and let you know where the enemy is at all times. Every player should buy some except the ADC in the laning phase.

EDIT: If you'd like I wouldn't mind playing a game with you to see what you do well/poorly. Add me in game and I can give you a much more in depth analysis.
Thanks for the advice and yeah sure if you wanna play sometime we can. & yes this community is very abusive to the newer players.

Arientus

12-28-2012

To be honest 2-6 isn't that bad. If you are doing all the damage and someone else just cleans up that's good. Initiators for example take almost all of the deaths for the team but without them there would be no winning in team fights.

MicKretz

12-28-2012

btw feel free to add me ingame name is MicKretz