Before you buy a "Gaming Laptop"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HerpinMcDerpin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

Hi, I would like to make this thread as a public service announcement too my fellow gamers.

I think a lot of gamers are duped into overspending on "high performance machines" and although the Christmas season has already passed and this may be too late, I can't stand seeing another thread "which gaming laptop should I buy".

What I'm going to do here is show you one of the lowest costing "gaming laptops" I can find.
THEN, I'm going to show you how much it actually costs YOU to build that rig. I'm doing this to inform gamers and possibly save them several hundred dollars

I'm using a site that I've bought nearly every pc ive ever built off of named tigerdirect.com

So here it is

MSI GX660-053US 15.6" Laptop Computer *$1150 USD*
This laptop is considered a gaming laptop by industry standards and will currently run you 1,150 USD. here are the specs

500 gb hard drive
Processor: 2.4 ghz cpu
Memory: 4 gb ram
Hard Disk Drive: 500g (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: dvdrw
Monitor: 15.6 inch display
Link for purchase: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=6646272

Now anybody that's actually in the computer business would look at this and laugh a little bit inside. As a quick reference to you, I had actually purchased the pc I'm using right now 3 years ago for 1000 USD. (by now this computer is much cheaper as the price of parts drastically change over time) here are specs to compare

MY PC Purchased 3 years ago *$1000 USD*

Processor: AMD phenom 3.10 ghz cpu
Memory: 4gb ram
Hard Disk Drive: (1) 250GB 7200rpm (1) 1TB 7200rpm
Optical Disk Drive: dvdrw
Monitor: 24" hd display
Graphix Card: ATI Radeon 4670 hd

The motherboard was like 250 but I don't know the actual model I got, like I said this was purchased 3 years ago. Even then this computer is much better and much cheaper than the "gaming laptop", but I'm going to do you one better.

Your Custom PC *$577 USD*
I built this trying to get the exact specs (if not, a little better) than the "Gaming Laptop"

Processor: 2.5 ghz
Memory: 4gb ddr3
Hard Disk Drive: 500gb 7200 RPM
Optical Disk Dive: DVDRW
Monitor: 16"
Graphix card 512MB
Link for Purchase (let me know if this doesn't work ill take a SS): http://www.tigerdirect.com/cgi-bin/S...%201,%201,%201

Now you're saving 700 dollars by assembling a desktop PC yourself. For those that cry for the portability for gaming laptops, I would like to ask why. Where are you gaming that you are required to be able to pick up and move within 1 minute? It only takes a good 3 minutes to pack up your PC. Monitor, tower, bag full of accessories. If that's not worth 700 bucks, I don't know what is.

Crai Crushna

12-27-2012

I got my laptop from school, but the next thing I get is going to be one I make. I'm just kind of scared that I might mess up or break something.

Shoopman

12-27-2012

Your point is true and valid and all that, but fact is, most people don't have the know-how or the room for a desktop computer, especially college kids. Nobody wants to deal with a desktop in college, so they buy laptops. There are a few brands that won't overcharge you out the ass for a decent gaming computer.

Vlps

12-27-2012

I have a 17 inch laptop:
-AMD 7970m GPU
- i7 CPU
- 95% glossy screen
- 250 gb ssd, 750gb 7200 rpm hdd
-powerful as fuk all

TurtleSmurph

12-27-2012

I think is the "Laptop" part of the computer that people want. I think its common knowledge by now that gaming pc's are cheaper to build then buy but its the mobility of a laptop that drives them to it.

CyrusofIreland

12-27-2012

Your made Computer seems a tad weak for gaming, and for some games that are coming out now.

I'd rather spend 1.5k on a Custom PC, that wont become out of date for a few years

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

I'm sorry, how much of a headhunter fee do you get every time someone clicks on that link?

HerpinMcDerpin

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Twilight View Post
I'm sorry, how much of a headhunter fee do you get every time someone clicks on that link?
I'm trying to KEEP people from buying the laptop, not persuade them. Please read the post I took time to write up before responding.

Empyrius

12-27-2012

What you fail to realize is some people have friends and jobs in real life which they like to play with in person. Having a high performance laptop allows for easy transportation and easy clean up. Its the portability that makes them great. I cannot lug 25lbs of computer hardware into my luggage and fly to my hotel room and play league of legends like that. I have had friends who bring over full computers and set them up in my house and take up so much room and cause issues with plugs etc. I find it easier to have a ok computer that i can bring anywhere and have access to my games at almost anytime i want to play not just at home.

Currently using an outdated Gameing laptop and i am still happy with it. It is 3.5 years old and has severe heating issues but i can play league of legends well.

HerpinMcDerpin

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusofIreland View Post
Your made Computer seems a tad weak for gaming, and for some games that are coming out now.

I'd rather spend 1.5k on a Custom PC, that wont become out of date for a few years
I don't play designer games, but do tell which game requires more than 4gb ram