Would you be interested in purchasing visual "gear" upgrades to skins?

Yes. 204 43.97%
No. 65 14.01%
Maybe, I would like to see/read some examples first. 195 42.03%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Skin Design Concept - Upgradable Tiers [Dat Parrot]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkDre

12-27-2012

I originally posted this in another thread. But this thread seems more relevant.

@IronStylus

Why not have something like this. Sort of on the Pulsefire Ezreal state . You buy a skin that basically is your level 6 upgrade of your deafult skin. Then you can buy the next tier which upgrades your character at level 11, then level 16. Of course the prices would have to be in a good range. Basically it's just how strong your character starts go get the more pieces of the final costume are put together. Even things like for AD carries lets say. Achieve 150 ad. Their weapon look gets enhanced. For tanks and bruisers achieve 100 Armour or Magic Resist their armour look gets enhanced. Mages would be the same with the whole AP and whatever their weapon or magic style is used gets enhanced.

And note by enhanced I mean the look just changes.

So whaddaya think?

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

This is a pretty fine idea. As others mentioned, some champs have perfectly fine original skins that players prefer over some other themes. I personally feel this way about Ahri. I'd love the chance to update / modify her original skin with color swaps or detail modification.

I have no clue how demanding this would be on the game client or store for people to purchase. So this is me saying "I'd like to see it" but not at the cost of an outrageous amount of Riot staff work hours to bring about.

Spectre4802

12-27-2012

Interesting concept, kinda like DotA2, where you can pay money for visual upgrades.

I think it would be cooler if you unlocked these Visual Armour/Weapon Upgrades (VAWU, or Vah-woo) through playing the character and earning character achievements.

*DING* Earn a double kill with Darius. You have unlocked: Reaper's Axe.

*DING* Win 20 Crystal Scar match as Skarner. You have unlocked: Superhardened Crystal Pincerguards

*DING* Get a triple kill while in Undying Rage as Tryndamere. You have unlocked: The Dark King's Gauntlet

(These are just examples, clearly.)

That's how I would do it. And give an option to "Unlock all upgrades" with a hefty amount of money, if people really don't want to invest time in achievements and just want the shiny things.

Daemon

12-27-2012

Oh, I have an idea! I'll use Dark Valkyrie Diana, since that skin sucks.

Tier 1: What we have now.
Tier 2: (260 RP) She gets a headdress and is fully covered with a bodysuit.
Tier 3: (260 RP) Headdress becomes a full helmet and her armor becomes more bulky. Her particles turn bright blue with tiny, feathery effects like Arclight Varus and overall, she becomes more vibrantly colored.

Note that you have to buy the previous tier to unlock T3.

Although, the downside to this is that people would be demanding skins where female champions lose clothing the higher tier you buy in to...

USC Zeratul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

Obnoxious pun? I thought that was clever

Enterti

12-28-2012

Id like to see little items you could add like hats in tf2

DarkDre

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterti View Post
Oh no. Not like valve riot!
People will be obsessed with these!

Prkl8r

12-28-2012

I want to be clear that when I said I want next tier outfits for champions, I did not mean that I want multiple tiers of upgrades all available for purchase. One 'upgraded' skin per champion. I do not want a tier 2 for 260 RP, than tier 3 for 520 RP than, Tier 4 for 975 RP, ect. I am strongly against that model.

Again, one 'evolved' skin per champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterti View Post
Do not want.

NamKim

12-28-2012

The disclaimer I make is that I do not buy RP. I am far too cheap to buy RP

This is a very tricky situation. If Riot decided to make "advancements" to the base skin, then people will say "how come you just don't make that into the base skin? Riot trying to be greedy and make money, gg." I also feel that it is somewhat against Riot's philosophy of bringing the best they can to the players.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good idea. It just has to be handled with care.

Issue #1) Pricing, how would you price this? If this is on the level of a legendary skin but for the price of a regular skin, then people might be happy with that. Other people will say that since the idea is not original, it should cost less than a regular skin. At the same time, those who enjoy the base skin more than the other skins can show off their love of their champion in their favorite skin.

Issue #2) Quality, what would be the quality of these upgrades? I feel that anything below legendary level skins would get fans angry.

Issue #3) Parrots, all the upgrades should include parrots, no exceptions.

These are probably the big things that Riot would have to tackle if they want to consider this option. I really think that Riot should think about picking one champion and experiment with this idea, similar to PulseFire Ezreal. That way, even if there is a fan-backlash, Riot has the option of saying "this is just an experiment." Look at PulseFire Ezreal, a lot of people complained about its price. But it didn't stop people from buying it after it's 50% off sale. It is because of this support for themes that I feel that Riot has another Theme underworks. PulseFire was an experiment that went well.

Also, something Riot might want to look into is finding ways to get these upgrades without buying them. Such as, if you win xxx games with a certain champion, you can unlock this upgrade for free. Make it a high enough number so you really have to love a champion to get it, but it is a lot easier to just pay for it. Kind of what Riot does with champions but on a much, much higher scale to make it fair. You can play a lot to unlock a champion, or you can just buy some RP for this champion.

For example, say that I'm IronStylus and I'm expecting a kid. Oh no, they turn out to be triplets. Money's kind of tight now. Well, I played so much Leona and Diana that I get the two unlocked for free. Assuming this is in the future where IronStylus has several thousands wins with both Leona and Diana. Now IronStylus can show off these two upgraded skins on the Crystal Scar when he's playing Dominion (*wink *wink *hint *wink *hint *wink)

Prkl8r

12-28-2012

Unlocking skins through play would never happen. Remember, this is a 100% ftp game, they can't afford to spend time and money making something like a skin, and than just give it away. Why do you think they are so leery about trying new things with skins in the first place? They can't afford to go foreword with these types of things and have it come out and only have a very small amount of interest in them.

Remember the skins fund the rest.