Would you be interested in purchasing visual "gear" upgrades to skins?

Yes. 204 43.97%
No. 65 14.01%
Maybe, I would like to see/read some examples first. 195 42.03%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Skin Design Concept - Upgradable Tiers [Dat Parrot]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Barnaby Jones

12-27-2012

I could see getting a lot of mileage out of Rumble with this.

SSj Heimerdinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

I love it, we can get customization on champions and maybe even add an option to pay for different colors of the upgrades or even change the clothes with a color picker for extra RP.
I'm all over this, both metaphorically and sexually.

Fishous

12-27-2012

I can't get past trying to say "Hea-vie-weight." That sounds so bad.

But yeah, not a good idea. As stated by Parrot, people are going to be saying stuff like "why can't Riot just make better models in the first place instead of making us pay for non-****?"

Flurby

12-27-2012

I would not be interested, but if others are I don't see the problem in creating this option.

YoshiStampedeRed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

More examples please. At the moment, it kind of sounds like a Dota2-aesthetics-knock-off.

Ishinokao

12-27-2012

I don't think I would. They'd definitely be biting more than they could chew with this considering how long it takes to do their current content.

What they have right now works: Legendary skins, champions, normal skins and everything underneath that. IMO they're even stretching it by throwing the 1350rp tier in. When that Lulu skin came out I was like wtf, it didn't even have a recall animation added to it. They need to keep the diversity of content in their store simple.

Also I feel like this is just a way for them to get people to pay for them reworking older champion models.

DracoMTA

12-27-2012

I believe every skin should be upgradable, but not exactly like lvl 1, 2,3 etc. I believe that achievements/play time with champ or skin/some rp should be what makes the skins upgrade-able. People would begin grinding their favorite champions instead of dumping tons of money into them. There should be two seperately versions of this, one earned towards a certain skin, and another earned towards champion itself. The former would only be able to change a specific skin. However, the latter would be able to be universally used among any skins. Let's try not to make this a, "let's pour tons of rp into this thing." Not that I and many people can't, rather it would devalue it. Face it, we take things requiring minimal work as granted, but things we work for stick to memory, making the game more enjoyable. An idea would be: different ranked upgrades with different varying requirements. We could even have some with secret requirements

P.s. If we really need to add a price tag to this, we could add a low ip price and a way lower rp price to unlock it after achieving the requirements.
P.s.s. riot could also make limited time and legacy achievements, for even more fun.

TLDR: upgrades are awesome, but make them need gameplay and time rather than just a dump of cash. Also, please read my wall of text if you are a rioter, it's not as deep with only the tldr.

Prkl8r

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoMTA View Post
I believe every skin should be upgradable, but not exactly like lvl 1, 2,3 etc. I believe that achievements/play time with champ or skin/some rp should be what makes the skins upgrade-able. People would begin grinding their favorite champions instead of dumping tons of money into them. There should be two seperately versions of this, one earned towards a certain skin, and another earned towards champion itself. The former would only be able to change a specific skin. However, the latter would be able to be universally used among any skins. Let's try not to make this a, "let's pour tons of rp into this thing." Not that I and many people can't, rather it would devalue it. Face it, we take things requiring minimal work as granted, but things we work for stick to memory, making the game more enjoyable. An idea would be: different ranked upgrades with different varying requirements. We could even have some with secret requirements

P.s. If we really need to add a price tag to this, we could add a low ip price and a way lower rp price to unlock it after achieving the requirements.
P.s.s. riot could also make limited time and legacy achievements, for even more fun.

TLDR: upgrades are awesome, but make them need gameplay and time rather than just a dump of cash. Also, please read my wall of text if you are a rioter, it's not as deep with only the tldr.
You can't do that because than you would have people that would basically troll pick just to get games with that champ even though they don't fit a legit team comp or it's just not a viable champion.

Ishinokao

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoMTA View Post

I like this. They need more to unlock through gameplay opposed to just IP and RP.

Skyhawke

12-27-2012

I know the idea seems good on paper, but I think I prefer Riot's higher-quality, holistic approach. I think some simpler skins (what the Parrot first mentioned about recolors and basic model changes) would be really, really nice, but I don't want it to gravitate towards Dota2's system of piece by piece changes.