Riot we need more Shields.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lemon8or

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
That last one was uploaded by mistake, also, I am the OP lol, look at the name...

And you're right, strengthened armor doesn't count as shields, I was just saying that was their alternative when they weren't wearing shields.
The Japanese did use shields early on in their history. With the rise of the samurai, these were dropped in favor of equipment more suited to mounted archers. However, the second part of this is they DID use shields afterwards in the form of pavises and other sorts of things (not handheld). Third, during the Imjin War, they again encountered shields as used by the Koreans and the Chinese.. But they seem to have simply decided that shields weren't worth the protection they afforded, and tended to prefer long, two-handed spears. This isn't to say that no shields were used whatsoever, but if there were it was a rare occurrence. At least, rare enough that nobody seems to have mentioned it AFAIK.
Interestingly, at least one school of martial arts teaches the use of the jingasa (metal hat) as a shield in some of their more obscure kata... However, that sort of thing is to be taken with a grain of salt.

You should read "Early Samurai 200-1500 AD by Anthony J Bryant", it's even used as a source in the link below.

Did samurai, chinese or korean warriors ever use shields?
Oh woops, I clicked reply then went to do something else and forgot lol. But in the link you sent:
"Upper-class Japanese warriors (bushi or samurai) never used a shield since both hands were needed for the bow, spear or sword. Their armour was designed to absorb both arrow hits and sword thrusts."
Japanese warriors might have used shields but I don't think I've come across any reference that samurais use them, as in upper class samurais that protect the lords and stuffs. I'll look for that book when I got home. Thanks.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidas View Post
The kayle example looks like the shield is having one hell of a.....

That's from a hentai, isn't it?
No, it's a depiction of the angel Azriel, made by one of the greatest artists on Deviantart, the one and only GENZOMAN (http://genzoman.deviantart.com/).

Ech0e5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2012

Bump for shields

The Tyrant

Adjudicator

12-28-2012

thunder hearts! = up voted thread

Beas7ie

12-28-2012

Quote:
Lmao, I was actually looking for an epic anime spartan picture to add when I was still making this thread, with the phrase "DID YOU THINK THE SPARTANS HELD OFF THE PERSIANS THANKS TO THEIR SPEARS?! NO! IT'S THANKS TO THEIR GLORIOUS SHIELDS!" But then I thought "Meh, nhat cool enuff"

But the shields of the Spartans and the other Greeks at Thermopalyae and the other battles are really what saved the day for them. They had these huge awesome shields of thick oak covered in bronze while the Persians had wicker ****. The Persians couldn't even leave a dent in the Spartans while their spears would go straight through the **** Persian shields and scale mail armor. Their shields are also what protected them from the rain of arrows so the Spartans enjoyed a nice battle in the shade.

ROIT MOAR SPARTANS!

Beas7ie

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon8or View Post
Oh woops, I clicked reply then went to do something else and forgot lol. But in the link you sent:
"Upper-class Japanese warriors (bushi or samurai) never used a shield since both hands were needed for the bow, spear or sword. Their armour was designed to absorb both arrow hits and sword thrusts."
Japanese warriors might have used shields but I don't think I've come across any reference that samurais use them, as in upper class samurais that protect the lords and stuffs. I'll look for that book when I got home. Thanks.

Also Japanese never used shields as they thought it as cowardly to "hide behind" a shield in battle. You must charge in both hands on your weapon determined to die.

Celebi

Recruiter

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas7ie View Post
Also Japanese never used shields as they thought it as cowardly to "hide behind" a shield in battle. You must charge in both hands on your weapon determined to die.
That was just a moral, but when samurai's were still strategizing against different foes, they opted for shields in various situations, especially when they realized that archers needed some sort of protection since they couldn't carry a lot of armor and shoot precisely simultaneously, so the archers were lightly dressed and carried shields for rains of arrows, it's all in the book: Early Samurai 200-1500 AD by Anthony J Bryant

There's even models of real samurai shields in museums in Japan.

Beas7ie

12-28-2012

Quote:
That was just a moral, but when samurai's were still strategizing against different foes, they opted for shields in various situations, especially when they realized that archers needed some sort of protection since they couldn't carry a lot of armor and shoot precisely simultaneously, so the archers were lightly dressed and carried shields for rains of arrows, it's all in the book: Early Samurai 200-1500 AD by Anthony J Bryant

There's even models of real samurai shields in museums in Japan.
I have a book similar to that and I've played lots of Shogun 2 Total War. I do know that archers and later on musket shooters and arquebusiers did have some type of shield or often used barricades and what not but most true hardcore Samurai Warriors would be disgusted at the thought of using a shield in battle.

They also got pissed off with strategists as the common strategy is to use the cannon fodder troops for the first charge and not the elite Samurai and the Samurai considered the First Charge to be a great honor and so they developed the system where the Samurai would charge in and then fall back and then the Ashigaru would be sent in while the Samurai were held in reserve.

So True II

12-28-2012

on the 2nd and 3rd pic, I'd play 'em more if the art looked like that, and that's not cuz of the shield, if you know what i mean xD

lcronovt

12-28-2012

Singed doesnt have shield he has a door.