Is it bad strategy to destroy a turret too early?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rufus Warbringer

12-27-2012

I was playing as Nunu supporting Vayne in bottom lane. Fairly early in the game, we got the opportunity to take out the first turret, so I destroyed it.

Vayne was outraged, saying I dropped the tower too early and was hurting her farm by doing that.

I do not see the logic in this. My view is that since destroying enemy towers is the ultimate goal of the game and doing so does nothing to slow the flow of enemy minions, which are the source of farm, I might as well take them down whenever I have the chance.

Any ideas where she could be coming from? This was a bad-mannered Vayne--harassing teammates and All-chatting "gg" after our team's first few deaths--so it is possible that she is just a troll.

On the other hand, maybe there is some nuanced strategy that I am missing, so I appreciate any insights, Thanks!

Guy on a bus

12-27-2012

Destroying a tower early allows your lane to be pushed passed the river too easy hence only getting one minion clear before it goes too far without the danger of getting ganked. That's why you were hurting her farm. (and also giving the enemy better farm than they had.)

Honestly, you should only destroy towers at the VERY end of the game after you ace them at 18. One good ace at that lvl and it doesn't matter if turrets are gone or not.

LeppyR64

12-27-2012

The turret kills your minions and pushes the lane back to the middle between your turret and theirs. The middle shifts back towards their base when you kill their turret, making daemon risky. The flip side is that it allows you to roam, and decreases the other team's map control, but since your carry has no damage (due to no farm), that's a waste of time.

Typically it's a good idea to push the top turret early. Instead of pushing the bot turret down, kill the dragon. This gives your whole team a gold advantage and leaves the turret up.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

On the flip side, towers provide an insane amount of map control. Taking the tower too early - especially in bot - is still not recommended, but if you can get one tower down so that lane's champion can roam and gank with your jungler, all the better. Typically this happens some time after 10min.

doomed2death

12-27-2012

... Wards. Whenever I push too far, I rush that ruby sightstone and spam those wards around their jungle. As long as you have decent map awareness, it's not as dangerous.

Otherwise, the other points are still valid (middle of the lane gets pushed too close to their base). But the freedom to roam and the lack of safety for the opposition can be worth it if you play it right.

Fat Mchugelarge

12-27-2012

I've seen some Korean Push team that tr to rush the nexus as soon as possible, so it works in some instances.

Hirumonogatari

12-27-2012

if we're winning bot hard, dragon is a much better option than pushing the turret.

M4nTiCoR3

12-27-2012

It really depends on your teams strategy as a whole. Pushing a tower early offers some unique advantages and disadvantages as has been pointed out. It will offer global gold, more room for your jungle to successfully gank if you allow the enemy to push lane a bit, and more oppertunities for your lane to help take dragon early and often, as well as set up ganks on mid more freely when your lane is pushed beyond where you are comfortable farming from.

What it really boils down to is who well you are set up to take advantage of it, and if your teammates are flexible enough to adapt to new conditions rather than just what they are use to. If not they will only win the games where everything goes right. Truely good players learn to adapt and take advantage of every oppertunity. They also tend to win more games.

IS1330ca164c1e976181edd

12-27-2012

The enemy can also "freeze" the lane on their side of the map early on. And what are you going to do if you take the enemy tower at 5 mins all the time? You will end up roaming and clearing the jungle a bit and end up with way less gold than you could otherwise.

Try to get the tower towards 20 mins.

Crazy Crann

12-27-2012

I would say it really depends on what champion you're playing. If you're playing a high mobility roamer like Singed top, Kat/LeBlanc/TF mid, or something like that, taking the first tower allows you to roam more freely and rack up those early ganks that steamroll the game heavily in your favour. But if you're playing a champion that doesn't have the mobility or need to steamroll, you can also freeze the lane or even turtle at your own turret.