So, Riot is at fault for this "ISP lag". Proven. Fact.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeyIJustMetYou

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multra View Post
Ok everyone, enough trolling.

Pure Phoènix:
While I would like for the game to be flawless for everyone no matter where they played, that is just not possible due to networking restrictions. You are playing on the NA server from Australia, unfortunately you will lag and disconnect more than someone who is playing from the North America area. Multiple extra hops and thousands of miles of pipe will do this. I hope we get a solution out there for you guys because I know there are a lot of you, but I don't know of our current plans for new shards. I am sorry I am not able to solve your problem, but I can tell you if this is continually happening to you it is not a server issue, it is a distance issue.
Uh... not a distance issue. The lag happens often here in NA too, "Attempting to reconnect" pops up a lot when my ping is at normal 90 to 95...

MysteltainSensei

01-14-2013

It's Adobe Air...get rid of it...no one likes it...its a huge resource hog and there are better options.

Vahlen

01-14-2013

Quote:

Pure Phoènix:
While I would like for the game to be flawless for everyone no matter where they played, that is just not possible due to networking restrictions. You are playing on the NA server from Australia, unfortunately you will lag and disconnect more than someone who is playing from the North America area. Multiple extra hops and thousands of miles of pipe will do this. I hope we get a solution out there for you guys because I know there are a lot of you, but I don't know of our current plans for new shards. I am sorry I am not able to solve your problem, but I can tell you if this is continually happening to you it is not a server issue, it is a distance issue.
Haha, ORLY?

TheBadness

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Phoènix View Post
Major issue #1; PVP.net bugging out increasingly more often;
I've been unable to even get into champion select most of the time now. I queue and the box pops up, accept, nobody declines but i'm just dropped from queue. This'll happen 4 out of 5 times and then in the 5th time i get into champ select, but there's no chat and it takes me forever to select or swap champions.

Then the timer finishes, game doesn't start. I close it entirely and relogin, click reconnect, game opens then crashes. Do this another 3-4 times before i finally get to load into the game. Impossible to jungle like this.

Major update; Major issues appear to be affecting other areas of their servers too;
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2948035
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2947960

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/loldown.png/

I just got totally disconnected at 1:55. Not lagged, not a spike of loss or choke.

Completely and utterly disconnected. The whole connection dropped. That is not an ISP issue, that is a server issue. That is an issue with the server completely and utterly forgetting i was even a connected client and it stopped sending me packets.

If anything else was even remotely close to true, if it was spike lag, choke or loss then i would have automatically reconnected. This is because of how UDP packaging works, which is the protocol this game uses. UDP packets are sent regardless of wether the client is receiving them or not. This continues until the server doesn't receive packets from you for a few minutes and notices a disconnect or until the match ends.

For me to sit there with the "Attempting to reconnect" dialog box ingame, proves that the SERVER COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY stopped sending me UDP packets. If the server still thought i was connected legitimately then it would have kept sending me packets, i never would have had "Attempting to reconnect" pop up and i never would have had to completely close and reconnect the client.

That's just how UDP and server/client technology works in games and Riot is no different to any other company. Everyone does it this way because;

1. it's cheap, TCP/IP is the only real alternative and has 25% moer overheads than UDP, because it sends "received packet acknowledgements".
2. It's easy. UDP is easier to programme for.
3. It's less flawed in terms of security, whereas windows has always had several core TCP/IP flaws.
4. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 can't even RUN IPX/SPX and it's pretty much a dead protocol, although well known to be vastly superior to TCP/IP AND UDP for gaming.

So there you have it. Riot is at fault and needs to look at their servers again.

If any of you want to doubt my knowledge/credentials, do yourself a favour first and google my name. I'm a world-leading expert in software and hardware and have worked for every major company known to man.

edit; should've specified, I.T company sorry. Intel, AMD, all the major gaming companies + alot of the minors. All of them have had seemingly unresolvable issues at some stage.

Nah, Wireless signal was fine, i logged into router and checked connection statistics too, it was fine.

Oh... some peole are bringing up the issue of Riot using different servers/ISP's for their website and gaming servers. I said this on page 5 to explain how it's largely irrelevant;

A few winMTR's targetted at gaming servers; #1

Edit; 2xx.xxx.xxx.xxx servers are blocking ICMP traffic, cannot do tests on them :< They're approx half of the server cluster.

Hmmm 8% loss... enough to provide a noticible difference in performance, but not the "Game wrecking lag" so many people are complaining about.

Putting this in because some idiots actually think this is a troll thread;

Edit; If you're having connectivity issues and want to help, you can give your own WinMTR if you'd like, i'll edit this post to add them;

106 people have no idea what he's talking about and randomly hit the thumbs up button.

Whyumai

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIJustMetYou View Post
Uh... not a distance issue. The lag happens often here in NA too, "Attempting to reconnect" pops up a lot when my ping is at normal 90 to 95...
yeah, I've got to admit, there seems to be issues with League of Legends that only seems to have occurred recently. I've got friends who play in the NA server from Australia, Canada and America and all seem to have seen issues.

If it's ISP based, then it seems like there are many ISP's across the planet having problems with Riot's servers recently.

If it's individual connection based that seems strange as well, as many of these players haven't had these issues before.

If it was just my friends and I with these issues then I guess it could be some other issue but it seems like I'm seeing alot more disconnects and attempting to reconnect issues from many different players on teams i'm playing with and against.

The Riot Response™ seems to be of no help at all.

Quote:

Pure Phoènix:
That might explain the issues Australians are having, but what about every other country? Even American's are reporting connection issues.

While I get that because Australia is such a small part of the League of Legends community that Australian connection issues aren't a concern to Riot, I'd like to think something would be done when those issues extend to Americans on the North American Server. Surely it's not an problem of distance when your servers are in the same country or even in the same state as the players who are having connection issues connecting to your servers?

Logan Richardson

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Phoènix View Post
Neither can you two, obviously.
You didn't relevantly respond to his claim. Guess you don't like it when someone proves you wrong.
But who needs relevance when your a World Leading Expert.

Now I have a question (I've read your posts), if you've been in the IT industry for 12 something years (which would place you in your mid to high 30's) then WHY are you so mad and crying about lag problems over a free game????? I just want you to answer that one question, nothing else, if thats not too much to ask.

TehPanCakeMIX

01-15-2013

Quote:

Pure Phoènix:
Alot of Europeans are stuck on this server, playing with 240ms+ sucks alot. Im pretty sure you know. Give us free tokens and let us Transfer to Europe make it atleast for once. I have been asking this feature for atleast 2 years and i get no response. Also tried to contact the ''supports'' but they werent very helpful either. Please.

Extoll

01-15-2013

I read the OP and about 7 pages. I work as a CO tech in telecom. CO tech i pretty much handle T1's up to OC48. I don't know how you can point the finger at ISP and say they are the problem. You are going though may types of gear and many isp's just to hit the server. At any point of time less say a Adtran ds3 card in less say in the USA in GA, takes a hit for what ever reason you could lose some packets and could make you DC. Just to point the finger at the server at the other end shows you really don't understand backbone networking while you maybe understand how packets are sent...not the hardware or paths that makes it all work. Heck it could even be your modem at your house lost contact to your isp for what ever reason for a few sec's and made you lose contact with the server(happens to cable,dsl,fiber). Just bc you don't see a packet coming in doesn't prove anything but you gone LD due to a problem some where.....