Dear Riot : here's the community wishes for the new year

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MTaur

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Hey, I didnt see anything about skins on here so I have an odd question.. It's something that's been on my brain for a while.. Recently, as a lot of people have noticed, our quality of skins has gone up, including sometimes near reworks of entire champions when we produce skins. We do custom animations, particles, and a lot of other features. It's a big improvement from what we refer to now as "color swaps", when sometimes skins were just palette changes, or maybe small geometry tweaks on the model at most.

Oh yeah, my question! How do you guys feel about "costume change" skins. Maybe not so much entire sweeping thematic shifts, but maybe just s different treatment of basic look, outfit or armor. Being on the skins team off and on, I really love taking our characters to the nines. One things I've noticed is that sometimes, depending on the champion, some champions can accommodate really incredible and compelling themes, or have real estate for a lot of visual change, and have huge opportunities for particle changes or custom animations, etc, However, sometimes i feel some can't, that's opinion though. Also, sometimes I feel as though champions might just need what basically comes down to a "costume change" to give some new flavor, or something simple and novel. It's a not the greatest term, but I can't really think of something better to use to refer to something that sort of, at most, geometry changes and maybe minor tweaks in other areas.

What are some thoughts on this? This is entirely a curiosity of mine, and this is no promise of any such content, but I'm always looking for opportunities to bring interesting content to players, and I'm wondering if maybe a "lower" tier of what I've described above is of interest.

AGAIN! This is no commitment to features, I just genuinely am interested in feelings about this stuff. I have no idea nor any opinion on pricing or any of that, I'm interested in what sort of themes are appropriate, what scope such skins might encompass, and what players feel about what equates to possibly a less packed piece of content than the current lot of skins in terms of VFX, animation and other features.

So, whaddaya think?
I think costume changes can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I get pretty bored by ZOMG NOCTURNE IS A XHARDCOREX SPACE ROBOT LAZER ASSASSIN!!!!, and I long for more whimsical skins that aren't all about flashiness and high tech. Some of my skins are Gentleman Cho'Gath and Brolaf, and they ride about 50% or more on voiceovers, a feature that your company has actually been a bit reluctant to provide (though I am not familiar with the difficulties involved with that).

Eruza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

I can't find the thread right now, but there was something about a pre-game "vote-to-kick" option for ranked games so we don't have to dodge Queue anymore. I recall it being similar to WoW's vote-to-kick where you need 3 votes for it to pass, and you have to put a reason for the kick.

Dactylogram

12-29-2012

So 11/13 of the riot posts have been about skins, and the two posts so far (the one by damiya and the 13th post) have not specifically addressed any one of the issues. Riot simply said "I"ll look into this" instead of offering any solutions/thoughts on the matter. Riot I seriously wonder if you actually are trying to improve this game.

Nasdrovia499

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactylogram View Post
So 11/13 of the riot posts have been about skins, and the two posts so far (the one by damiya and the 13th post) have not specifically addressed any one of the issues. Riot simply said "I"ll look into this" instead of offering any solutions/thoughts on the matter. Riot I seriously wonder if you actually are trying to improve this game.
To be fair, we're in the last days of 2012 and I don't expect Rioters to be working hard in this period of holidays (thus the answer from Damyia). However I kinda hoped that Ironstylus or someone else would refer other rioters to this thread.

Bastilean

12-29-2012

Ok, first off I would like to thank IronStylus for bringing attention to this thread. I would just like to say that the animation team is way ahead of the curve as far as this game goes as it should be.

Skin Request: Pulsefire Jarvan please. Also, Pantheon wants a sci-fi skin. Maybe he can be like Jayce. Put in a transformer transformation with the sound effects please. Would sell faster than pulse fire Ez.

Back to the original OP I would just like to say thank you for posting all of these requests together.

The only request I did not approve of is a pause feature. I know this is a matter of opinion, but I don't want a pause feature. I don't want players who disconnect to play ranked and I definitely don't want to encourage them to. I know this sounds uncaring, but ranked is stressful enough and if this is going to be a real sport we can't stop athletes in mid swing/jog every time someone trips, slips, shoe laces come undone, etc. This feature is in other MOBAs and I don't like it there either. If you aren't equipped for a sport find another past time until you can change the situation. Insensitive? I think its very sensitive to overall experience and joy of the game as a whole.

I want to put forward that as far as I can tell all of my previous UI requests in the past have been addressed, and I look forward to Riot continuing to make improvements. I especially like the Sheen proc indication now visible. It's really nice. Ohyeah, the new Tenacity Icon is very cool.

I haven't tested Gragas's passive recently. Sometimes the text was off. Is that fixed?

Keep up the good work.

Zerictm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Hey, I didnt see anything about skins on here so I have an odd question.. It's something that's been on my brain for a while.. Recently, as a lot of people have noticed, our quality of skins has gone up, including sometimes near reworks of entire champions when we produce skins. We do custom animations, particles, and a lot of other features. It's a big improvement from what we refer to now as "color swaps", when sometimes skins were just palette changes, or maybe small geometry tweaks on the model at most.

Oh yeah, my question! How do you guys feel about "costume change" skins. Maybe not so much entire sweeping thematic shifts, but maybe just s different treatment of basic look, outfit or armor. Being on the skins team off and on, I really love taking our characters to the nines. One things I've noticed is that sometimes, depending on the champion, some champions can accommodate really incredible and compelling themes, or have real estate for a lot of visual change, and have huge opportunities for particle changes or custom animations, etc, However, sometimes i feel some can't, that's opinion though. Also, sometimes I feel as though champions might just need what basically comes down to a "costume change" to give some new flavor, or something simple and novel. It's a not the greatest term, but I can't really think of something better to use to refer to something that sort of, at most, geometry changes and maybe minor tweaks in other areas.

What are some thoughts on this? This is entirely a curiosity of mine, and this is no promise of any such content, but I'm always looking for opportunities to bring interesting content to players, and I'm wondering if maybe a "lower" tier of what I've described above is of interest.

AGAIN! This is no commitment to features, I just genuinely am interested in feelings about this stuff. I have no idea nor any opinion on pricing or any of that, I'm interested in what sort of themes are appropriate, what scope such skins might encompass, and what players feel about what equates to possibly a less packed piece of content than the current lot of skins in terms of VFX, animation and other features.

So, whaddaya think?
Sounds like ward skins except for champions. I would approve of that.

BøzidaR

12-29-2012

Fix the stupid language filter. It's gotten to the point where I can't even get mine to turn off for some reason.

ZephyrsEdge

12-30-2012

Quote:

So, whaddaya think?
I actually find the thought of "simpler" skins very pleasing. It seems that every new skin has been trying to top the last skin that came out in every way possible. It's nice to know you guys put a lot of work into your skins, but not every new skin has to have animation changes and be most polished. I'd gladly welcome more skins that were just simple outfit changes or color swaps, because I enjoy those just as much as I do the special ones. Creating more simple skins would probably allow (I'm only assuming) new skin releases more often since you guys don't have to make changes to every aspect of the character. This would also give more skins for newer Champions to balance out the variety of skins available for older Champions. I'd very much welcome the idea of random and simple skin changes such as (Just of the top of my head) Rengar with a Bengal tiger fur scheme or Orianna with a simple swim dress and beach ball. Overall, I find your interest in skins very pleasing and can only hope that the topic would be something considered by Riot's artists.

omg its vayne

12-30-2012

bump riot pls

Nasdrovia499

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastilean View Post
Back to the original OP I would just like to say thank you for posting all of these requests together.

The only request I did not approve of is a pause feature. I know this is a matter of opinion, but I don't want a pause feature. I don't want players who disconnect to play ranked and I definitely don't want to encourage them to. I know this sounds uncaring, but ranked is stressful enough and if this is going to be a real sport we can't stop athletes in mid swing/jog every time someone trips, slips, shoe laces come undone, etc. This feature is in other MOBAs and I don't like it there either. If you aren't equipped for a sport find another past time until you can change the situation. Insensitive? I think its very sensitive to overall experience and joy of the game as a whole.

I want to put forward that as far as I can tell all of my previous UI requests in the past have been addressed, and I look forward to Riot continuing to make improvements. I especially like the Sheen proc indication now visible. It's really nice. Ohyeah, the new Tenacity Icon is very cool.

I haven't tested Gragas's passive recently. Sometimes the text was off. Is that fixed?

Keep up the good work.
Hi Bastilean, you're welcome ! Thanks for your opinion. Regarding Gragas' passive, it's not the only one with a bugged / oversimplified tooltip, many other champions have the same issue, I included that in the Interface section.

I understand your stance about a pause feature, but this is a very popular request - especially from people who played other MOBAs. Here are a few counterpoints : a pause doesn't "encourage people to dc", it prevents temporary and unpredictable dc's from altering the result of the game. It's, in my opinion, very fair. You compared it to real sports ; well, in real sports, there's always a referee who has the power to stop the game at any time due to exceptional circumstances (wounded player, power shortage, disruption of the game by an external source...). In soccer, there's an untold rule where players themselves stop the game if someone is wounded and the referee doesn't notice.
Of course there would be limits to such a feature to prevent abuse of all sorts, for example a time limit, a limited number of pauses per game, the impossibility to pause during major events (teamfights, baron, etc)...But this is a discussion for another time
Lastly, many disconnections are caused by Riot servers / client, not by ISP's / players' connections. Issues caused by Riot should be fixed by Riot, and this is the easiest fix (the hard one would be to fix the whole client...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzidaR View Post
Fix the stupid language filter. It's gotten to the point where I can't even get mine to turn off for some reason.
Is that a known / common issue ? Never heard of it.