My fiances father wants me to go to college.

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Well, if you tell me what you want I could give you a header, language, philosophy, science, social, structure, economy, etc.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-26-2012

Well, here are my thoughts on college.

It isn't for everyone, it is for most, but not everyone. Those that it isn't for are people who posses skills that allow them a pass on college. These people typically excel in something to a degree that an employer doesn't care about the background, or where you learned it, just that you have it. It used to be this way with computer related fields, as long as you knew it, they didn't care. Unfortunately that isn't the case anymore, now you pretty much are required to have the papers to go with the skills. This is due to the over saturation of that particular field, of course there are a few exceptions to this in very niche area of CS.

I don't say this to be rude, but from your post I get the feeling you don't have any particularly exceptional skills. You also come across as very unsure about yourself, and more concerned with what others think of you. I picked up a lack of confidence in what you said. The reason I mention this is that if I can pick that up, or even get that feeling, a Human Resource Manager is going to get the same feeling in a job interview. Which isn't a good thing.

I will also tell you that if YOU do not want to go to college for YOU, then it isn't a good idea. College isn't easy, and if you aren't truly motivated you aren't going to complete it. What will happen is you will end up with a bunch of dept that you absolutely have to pay back, and nothing to show for it.

Honestly, and I can say this as a parent, if you are 18, 19, or 20, just starting out and still young in life, I wouldn't be overly worried. There is nothing in the rule book that says at that age you have to be in your life career already, making loads of money, etc. Now if you are closer to 30 and still don't have your act together, I would put a boot in your ass, as a father.

ThaBizness

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Well, here are my thoughts on college.

It isn't for everyone, it is for most, but not everyone. Those that it isn't for are people who posses skills that allow them a pass on college. These people typically excel in something to a degree that an employer doesn't care about the background, or where you learned it, just that you have it. It used to be this way with computer related fields, as long as you knew it, they didn't care. Unfortunately that isn't the case anymore, now you pretty much are required to have the papers to go with the skills. This is due to the over saturation of that particular field, of course there are a few exceptions to this in very niche area of CS.

I don't say this to be rude, but from your post I get the feeling you don't have any particularly exceptional skills. You also come across as very unsure about yourself, and more concerned with what others think of you. I picked up a lack of confidence in what you said. The reason I mention this is that if I can pick that up, or even get that feeling, a Human Resource Manager is going to get the same feeling in a job interview. Which isn't a good thing.

I will also tell you that if YOU do not want to go to college for YOU, then it isn't a good idea. College isn't easy, and if you aren't truly motivated you aren't going to complete it. What will happen is you will end up with a bunch of dept that you absolutely have to pay back, and nothing to show for it.

Honestly, and I can say this as a parent, if you are 18, 19, or 20, just starting out and still young in life, I wouldn't be overly worried. There is nothing in the rule book that says at that age you have to be in your life career already, making loads of money, etc. Now if you are closer to 30 and still don't have your act together, I would put a boot in your ass, as a father.
That was all hilarious. +1 for the good laugh.

ThaBizness

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFedeles View Post
Well, if you tell me what you want I could give you a header, language, philosophy, science, social, structure, economy, etc.
Sorry Semp, I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss your suggestion because I really don't know what I want to do.

I do know that whatever I choose to do, I won't be following up a career with it.

I was thinking maybe something that would just give me a little knowledge about the every day stuff I do.

The social, economy, and possibly language thing are interesting.

Mere Intricacy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Photographic memory I'd recomend biology...
It's all just remembering stuff...

ThaBizness

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere Intricacy View Post
Photographic memory I'd recomend biology...
It's all just remembering stuff...
Will biology help me in my everyday life?

Mere Intricacy

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBizness View Post
Will biology help me in my everyday life?
I didn't think you needed college to help you in everyday life.
I though you just needed the paper to please your soon to be father and law..

ThaBizness

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere Intricacy View Post
I didn't think you needed college to help you in everyday life.
I though you just needed the paper to please your soon to be father and law..
Yes but I'm not going to waste a couple years or whatever without any benefit to my life.

I think I'm actually going to do criminal justice or something like that

vcadoda

12-26-2012

Well if you want a degree for everyday life and without using it for a job, might I suggest you major in a foreign language or art.

Semper Damnatus

12-26-2012

Maybe a social science in business/economy

Covers the basics, it's general, you'll know a lot more about a lot of stuff, and it's not a technical/concentration.

123456 ... 9