1000 correct cases, justice rating over 18500. Here's what I think about Tribunal.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paintrain6242

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaalyo View Post
According to the Justice Review thing, I've got over 1000 cases correct, almost 19000 in justice rating, ranked 148. My accuracy is 85.1%, and I've permabanned 33 players.

In a typical day, I pardon maybe 2 of my 20 daily cases. However, most of my incorrect cases are where I punished a case that was ultimately pardoned. Based on this, I'd say about 4 in 20 cases are typically pardoned. That's an 80% punish chance for any case.

I WILL punish if even one case of five is punishable.

Things I always punish for:
1. Excessive cursing out allies.
2. Excessive taunting the enemy.
3. Excessive flaunting to the enemy. IE “Ohhhh almost!” “Lolnope.” “Try harder.” Etc.
4. “gg noobs”. Yes, even if that's the only thing in the case.
5. Ragequitting.

What I'm talking about here is poor sportsmanship. I absolutely will not tolerate it. Some people might criticize this, accusing me of wanting LoL to be a game people play with monocles and tea. And you know what? Yeah, I do want that. LoL is a strategy game akin to chess. Do you see Garry Kasparov mocking Ding Liren after every play? Liren makes a bad play and loses a pawn, Kasparov says “lol nope nice try noob try harder”? No, that doesn't happen. Grow up, be a good sport, or go play something more suited to your mindset. I hear Call of Duty is good for that.

Things I never punish for:
1. A bad game or several bad games.
2. An AFK in which a reason is given... provided it's not multiple cases or if he gives the same reason every time, something he should have the common sense to plan around. I'm not all that picky about the reason. Girlfriend wants ***? Sorry, team, that's more important.
3. Asking for honor.

We've all had that one game where we went 0/12/4. Stop acting like you're M5, get off your high horse, we've ALL had them and it happens more often than we care to admit. That's not a bannable offense. And those cases where all 5 are something like this? All that means is that the player had no games in which they cursed out their team or otherwise got reported. It sure will look intentional if that's literally the only thing anyone could ever report them over.

Things I sometimes punish for, depending on whether or not they happen repeatedly, and what clues the chat gives me:
1. Games in which a person never connected.
2. Clear trolling via a dual mid or somesuch.
3. Excessive pinging, for the sake of it.

Bugsplats happen, thank you Riot, you're like the only game I've ever seen in which this happens so goddamn often. And if a person doesn't know what to do about it, well, what can you do. I'm not banning someone because Riot can't code their game correctly. Hi Riot. You either smiled at this or frowned at it. Hiiiii. Eve 2012.

In the case of I Called It vs. I'm First Pick, it's trickier. I try to follow the clues of the chat. Thankfully, most of these cases degenerate into a rich plethora of four letter words anyway.

Excessive pinging... come on. If someone makes the game less enjoyable, I'll do likewise.

I do not give in to the popular opinion in order to raise my accuracy. Biggest example is the gg noobs thing. I can tell you, based on cases I've gotten wrong, that “gg noobs” is not enough to get punished. But i'll still punish for it, even knowing that I'll probably get it wrong, because that's what I believe.

One thing I am annoyed by is how few people actually report for obvious offenses. There have been games in which an ally absolutely berated his team, but the only player who bothered reporting for it is one of the enemies. Are you kidding me? People whine about excessive reporting, but if you ask me, people need to step it up. No wonder this community is so terrible. Hardly anyone reports what needs to be reported. People always talk about junk cases of rage reporting, but I'm lucky if I get one or two of those a week.

AMA.

Edit

Thanks for all the support! As of this writing, I've surpassed 20,000 in justice rating, with 35 toxic players permabanned. I like to think LoL is just a little bit friendlier for it. I thought I'd add and clarify some stuff, for my critics:

1. Can you guys please read the word 'excessive' before you criticize autopunish points 2, 3, and 4? There's a difference between a single instance of "close one~" and an entire game of "LOL NOPE ALMOST TRY HARDER NOOB SCRUB LOLOL GEEGEE GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG." I honestly figured this was self explanatory, but I guess not.

2. You can add racial and homophobic slurs to my autopunish list. There is absolutely no call for it. The moment any of those words comes up, not even reading a single word more, Punish.

3. I'm very sorry, but people have lives. Now, if a person AFKs without reason, or gives a reason that he should have been able to plan around, like "oops sorry dinner time" or "sorry my bedtime is ____", that's a punish. But "oh, sorry, fire, brb" is a pardon. Yes, I know people can lie. That's why most reports have more than one case. If I see multiple AFKs, especially the same reason given each time, obvious lies are obvious. I know it's possible that a person lies a lot, but only one AFK instance actually made it on the report. What can I say, law of averages, no system is perfect. Doesn't mean I'm autopunishing when there are a rich plethora of reasons to AFK that don't deserve punishment.

4. It is not against the rules to break the meta. However, if the dialogue consists of "I'M MID" "NO I'M MID" "I CALLED IT" "I WAS FIRST" "I GOT HERE FIRST" "GO SUPPORT" "**** U" and the three guys on the team have their game ruined because neither guy could be the better man? I'd punish either of them, I don't care who was in the wrong.
Thanks for getting me back into tribunal.
I hope you managed to tag the Akali I had in Game #9 of S3 ranked with a permaban!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gribblez

Senior Member

01-03-2013

I can agree with everything you said except edit number 4. This isnt third grade, its their choice on how they want to play or what role they want to play. If they cant get along as a group its the teams fault not just the individual.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyahda View Post
Is it odd that I find myself skipping like 90% of the cases I review?
Not odd, but you really shouldn't skip that. Who cares if you risk getting stuff wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I R The Troll View Post
with your mind set i suppose LOL is better off with out chat in general.
Of course not. This is why I hate the concept of a mute feature. This game requires communication and strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin4Jesus View Post
Well said. I wish everyone was like you. :P
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecis View Post
does joking count as taunting? because some people hate me when i make light-hearted jokes. :c
If someone gets offended, simply say "/all sorry, i was just joking" and then don't do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I R The Troll View Post
no wrong, its not fun to not chat at all .. sometimes talking to enemies even though taunting them (not even close or see u again) of course in a polite manner as i made examples ARE NOT offensive at all.. so in my opinion riot should remove this guy from tribunal completely since he believes talking in any form to enemy is an offense!
"Excessive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba SealClubba View Post
You would make the best hall monitor in real life, the absolute best.
Rofl. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMEME670 View Post
So you admit that you cannot prove your point? You just follow the system because you believe it is right, but have no logical proof it is so.

You, sir, are acting like someone who tries to play god. There isn't even a logical fallacy for what you're doing, because you're ignoring me.
Because there's absolutely nothing to say to you. I say such and such things are wrong, and you counter everything with "on the grand scale of philosophy and time, how is it wrong"? There's nothing I can say to this fortune cookie philosophy, and clearly you know that, otherwise you wouldn't be sticking to it. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donyrage View Post
the last one really irks me. Ok so I first pick an AP mid and i've called it, somoene comes mid with me and trolls me and u punish just cuz i dont wana go bot and support?
Sorry dude, good thing your rating is just 80% or whateves, cuz you sure as **** don't deserve higher
So instead of being the better man and playing, you choose to ruin the game for your three allies because heaven forbid you swallow your pride. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teralisan View Post
....I read 21 pages of this...
then I gave up because everyone was repeating everyone else...
btw
reporting for bad play is like reporting because you are new
do that and this becomes WC3 DotA and no one new will play and LoL will die
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticús View Post
You lost my respect with these particular bullets. If you seriously think a little verbal aggression merits a ban, then I'm surprised that you have anything close to your current success rate in the Tribunal. (But not really.)

This is a GAME. A COMPETITIVE GAME. Without the CONFLICT and the DESIRE to win, in a sportsman, or unsportsmanlike manner, you have a very BORING game.

There's a massive difference between aggressive exchanges and downright flaming/trolling/verbal harassment.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/excessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Br0heimer View Post
Being a decent human being is apparently an incredibly high standard to live up to and completely unrealistic. I weep for humanity.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the notoriousJFK View Post
How does it feel to get carried to 20k Justice?
Y U SO MEAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamaar View Post
Inspired me to get back into Tribunal.

EDIT: On doing a couple of tribunal cases I'm curious; how often do you skip?
I don't. I used to, but after a while, I stopped doing that. Laying down proper justice is more important than being worried about maybe getting a case or two wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain6242 View Post
Thanks for getting me back into tribunal.
I hope you managed to tag the Akali I had in Game #9 of S3 ranked with a permaban!
Lol, I don't review completed cases anymore, I found it was influencing my future decisions negatively. But yay, I'm glad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribblez View Post
I can agree with everything you said except edit number 4. This isnt third grade, its their choice on how they want to play or what role they want to play. If they cant get along as a group its the teams fault not just the individual.
Even if it's just the two fighting and the other three pleading them to get along?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Made another edit to the original post!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

01-03-2013

Isn't your ego properly stroked enough yet?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EliteFlyingTaco

Member

01-03-2013

Dual mid isn't trolling. My friend and I even did two supports mid (Blitz and Sona, respectively) and won easily. It just goes against the meta. There's no problem with that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jryiah

Member

01-03-2013

Nice read.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-03-2013

I hadn't heard of the justice review until your post.

I'm currently rated 1956 with 100% accuracy (albeit only 23 cases reviewed, with 26 pending)

I skip cases that are in a language I can't understand, or if I am on the fence between Punish or Pardon.

Thanks for sharing your experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat09 View Post
Isn't your ego properly stroked enough yet?
My ego is merely the side benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteFlyingTaco View Post
Dual mid isn't trolling. My friend and I even did two supports mid (Blitz and Sona, respectively) and won easily. It just goes against the meta. There's no problem with that.
The problem isn't breaking the meta, it's blatant attempts to troll by doing it. I clarified this in my first edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryiah View Post
Nice read.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblepeasant View Post
I hadn't heard of the justice review until your post.

I'm currently rated 1956 with 100% accuracy (albeit only 23 cases reviewed, with 26 pending)

I skip cases that are in a language I can't understand, or if I am on the fence between Punish or Pardon.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
NICE! Good work!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

Senior Member

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
All I really see is that you spam punish and your standards are incredibly unrealistic.
Oh, Tenmar.