How long should surrender times be?

20 minutes. 9 14.29%
15 minutes. 35 55.56%
Even lower than 15 minutes. 19 30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Are surrender times too high?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DannyIsGreat

12-26-2012

The surrender times in ARAM seem quite high (20 minutes). I just had a game where someone fed the other team 1/9/0 in 10 minutes and our whole team was ready to quit because of so.

What do you guys think?

Acúlas

12-26-2012

its just aram there shouldnt be a surrender button its for fun
sigh -.-

Miouu

12-26-2012

^ and when its not fun, you shouldnt have to stay for the next half an hour

Zielmann

12-26-2012

I'd be okay with seeing it moved to 15 minutes, but I don't think it needs to be any sooner. Sure, I've been involved in a couple games under 10 minutes, and quite a few below 15 minutes on PG. But by any measure, 15 minutes is a fast game. The hesitation to make it any shorter is that I fear that some teams might give up before they truly should. A lot of the time, a team with a strong late-game comp will suffer early. But if they can just hold on for a bit, they'll start to see the momentum swinging their way. I feel like this swing can often start to be felt around that 15-minute mark. You might not start winning every fight, but you can usually feel when your team starts doing slightly better in each fight, which will give a bit of hope that you might be able to pull off the win.

Beravin

12-26-2012

Maybe its just me, but I've never actually had a team surrender in this mode. Even the votes to surrender are pretty rare. Most teams just stick it out to the bitter end. But here's a few good reasons as to why I do not think any changes are needed:

A.) The games are pretty short either way, and if you are losing that bad, chances are they'll be at the nexus and end it pretty fast. I mean, I've had games end in 8 minutes if its that one sided. The game only continues if its reasonably balanced.

B.) Its not hard to turn a bad game around in this mode. All it takes is one good ace to get a push going, and reverse the match. I've had plenty of turtle games that turned around with time and items. This mode can change hands pretty fast.

C.) Like above, I've had a lot of teams that start off pretty bad, but slowly get better as their champions get items and levels. If you lower the surrender time too much, it'll just end up killing a lot of the great comebacks this mode is known for.

D.) I think we are all sick of that one feeder who spams surrender votes in every other game mode.

Zielmann

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beravin View Post
Maybe its just me, but I've never actually had a team surrender in this mode. Even the votes to surrender are pretty rare. Most teams just stick it out to the bitter end. But here's a few good reasons as to why a change is not needed:

A.) The games are pretty short either way, and if you are losing that bad, chances are they'll be at the nexus and end it pretty fast. I mean, I've had games end in 8 minutes if its that one sided. The game only continues if its reasonably balanced.

B.) Its not hard to turn a bad game around in this mode. All it takes is one good ace to get a push going, and reverse the match. I've had plenty of turtle games that turned around with time and items.

C.) Like above, I've had a lot of teams that start off pretty bad, but slowly get better as their champions get items and levels. If you lower the surrender time too much, it'll just end up killing a lot of the great comebacks this mode is known for.

D.) I think we are all sick of that one feeder who spams surrender votes in every other game mode.
This is all very true as well. I've probably only ever seen a surrender once or twice in ARAM.

I just think that moving it to 15 makes it fit better with the way surrenders are handled in the other modes. SR is easily the longest mode in the game, so having the longer surrender time makes sense. But it was shortened on TT since it tends to be faster. I feel like 20 minutes on PG just seems like more than is necessary, whether it actually ever gets used or not.

Beravin

12-26-2012

Sorry Zielmann, I was editing my message as you replied. I often do that - thank the post preview, it lies! :P

Just throwing that out there so I do not create any confusion. I'm still working on it.

Zielmann

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beravin View Post
Sorry Zielmann, I was editing my message as you replied. I often do that - thank the post preview, it lies! :P

Just throwing that out there so I do not create any confusion. I'm still working on it.
Edited my quote to contain your whole post

My thought aside from making it a 15-minute surrender is to take it out entirely, but I do like that it gives a team the option to get out of certain abuse cases (the team that is winning, but draws it out an extra 5 minutes just to rack up more kills).

innervation

12-27-2012

I don't think it's necessary. Many champions that are weak early start to become a factor in that 15-20 minute range. I feel that if your team is SO overmatched that you want to surrender at 15, but somehow they enemy team hasn't won yet, your team still has some promise. If you really think the other team has you outmatched early, mid, and late game, and you gave it your best for 15 minutes, you could talk with your team and choose to let them take the turrets/nexus I guess. That's really only fair if the majority want it though.

I guess what I'm saying is If you've survived 15 minutes you're good enough to turn it around and win. If Riot makes it official that you can surrender at 15, then more ppl will do it, throwing away games they could have won. You still have the option to take things into your own hands, as a team, and sit in your fountain as 5 if you think it's over.

TimeWhisp

12-27-2012

People leave more in ARAM and if someone leaves you might as well just surrender. Then again people surrendering when you have a team of late game champs would be obnoxious. I'm not really sure what the best solution is.