Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How many people want to load up league to sit around watching 4 other people play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bhauk

12-26-2012

I'm talking about supporting.

I mean it's fun sometimes sure, but I don't think it should be a mandatory role.

Have the devs ever addressed this? Part of the reason for so much pre game rage and anxiety is because no one wants to support. The meta should be changed for the health of this game.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-26-2012

1) It's not a mandatory role.
2) You're not sitting around watching.

The fact that you view support as simply passively sitting around watching is a big part of the reason why you find it so boring. You're doing it wrong.

The only thing you're not doing is farming.

Bhauk

12-26-2012

It is mandatory and I am a pretty active and skilled support.

Some games I just don't want to do it, though... you presume too much.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-26-2012

It's not mandatory. The meta isn't enforced by Riot.

What do you want the devs to do? The meta is a strategy that was developed by the players because it is the most effective way to win the game, and it's not going to change until someone finds a more effective way of winning the game.

Boagster

12-26-2012

Riot doesn't change "the meta", the players change "the meta". And, as Pogo said, if you are just sitting there watching the other players playing the game, you are playing Support wrong. Honestly, I find myself doing more interesting things as Support for the first fifteen minutes of a game than I do playing Jungle or ADC. Junglers spend so much time walking around, while ADCs, particularly if they are being pushed hard, spend a lot of time passively farming (no, I don't AFK farm, I do try to harass, but farming as ADC is generally boring for me).

Boagster

12-26-2012

Bhauk, do you understand what "the meta" even is? Where it gets it's name or why it's in the current state it's in? The reasons why we (typically, but not necessarily) play bruisers at Top, APCs and Assassins at mid, and the ADC/Support combo at bot? Or why the top-tier teams break "the meta" (usually in small ways) quite often?

I'll give you a hint: The answer to none of these is "Because Riot said so."

Bhauk

12-26-2012

Did any teams at the season 2 tournament not have a support and get far like that?

Rokkr

12-26-2012

The role of support is not mandatory, but it increases your chance of winning by a lot.

But whenever I play support my goal is to grant optimum vision, instruct my team, do lots of work in team fights, and buff/improve teammates with my item selection.

Sometimes I play odd supports like rengar or shaco to liven things up a bit. The two most important things for you to do is not attack creeps at all in lane phase, and ward superbly all game.

Bhauk

12-26-2012

Quote:
Boagster:
Bhauk, do you understand what "the meta" even is? Where it gets it's name or why it's in the current state it's in? The reasons why we (typically, but not necessarily) play bruisers at Top, APCs and Assassins at mid, and the ADC/Support combo at bot? Or why the top-tier teams break "the meta" (usually in small ways) quite often?

I'll give you a hint: The answer to none of these is "Because Riot said so."

No need to be condescending. As far as I understand it's all about getting a good a team fight comp adequately prepared by the time laning phase is over.

dmgovertime

12-26-2012

I don't believe that supports needed in EVERY game... but i do believe supports play a vital role in each game if played correctly. I main the support role and I dont find it boring at all. I honestly find it harder to be most supports than it is to be a point and click adc. Supports win games. Not always, but they do help.