Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When should I try ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lordtunkuta

12-26-2012

So i've been level 30 for a few weeks and i'm itching to try out a ranked match. However a buddy of mine said not to even think about ranked matches until I have at least 400 normal wins (current at 226).

When do you guys think it's the right time to try out a few ranked matches?

aphronyaa

12-26-2012

When you're confident about your ability to play the game well - and at that point, you tell yourself no and keep learning.

Lunar Lightning

12-26-2012

once you can play 7 champs for your main roles and have champs you can play well for the others as well as a minimum of 4 rune pages you can play ranked

SSj Heimerdinger

12-26-2012

The general rule is:
learn 3 champs for each role ( and get good with them).
Once you've done that, at higher elo you want to know 5 champions REALLY REALLY well for 2 lanes. so 10 champions in total that you know you are pro with but you have about 9 other champions you can use for other lanes.

You also need 5 rune pages in total, one for each role which will help out

Eloquid

12-26-2012

Never, if you want to have fun in this game.

Teamkiller

12-26-2012

Just go on skype with a buddy and go duo. it's heaps of fun. Just try not to be hesitate with ranked games because ranked games just feel like normal games when you first start playing them. that was how it was for me it is.

Zoram

12-26-2012

People will give you advice or tips to know when you are ready, however know this, it is impossible to know for sure unless a seasoned player has spent some one on one time to see if you understand game mechanics, items etc.

However your friend has the best advice, most people say 300 wins, I agree more with your friend though, but I'd say if you are anxious, shoot for 350-400 wins. Make sure you understand each role and understand how all champions fight(this doesn't mean memorizing everything they do, but just know how they work and how to play vs them). Besides that make sure you udnerstand items for you champions, summoner spells and when to use what, and above all, don't play ranked just to play ranked. A lot of newbies go into ranked and just flop around and your friend wants to make sure you hit the ground running.

Honestly, I say wait until season 3 actually starts. That should be plenty of time to get ready.

Astoundment

12-26-2012

Face your fears my friend. Ranked game is no different than normals. Afterall, it's just a game. If you lose, there's always a next game.

I started ranked at around 200 wins back in season 1 also. It went well.

drifter909

12-26-2012

Once you hit level 30, go play ranked if you wish. ELO is designed that you'll play against people of equal rank, so at the beginning you may fall, but eventually you'll move up if you improve.

Don't listen to people whining about ELO hell, waste of forum space is all that is.

MSF72

12-26-2012

Focus on filling rune pages first, playing draft modes, being cooperative in many roles and playing them successfully or you'll find yourself getting raged at often and worst case scenario, being in ELO hell and not being able to get out when you finally do have the experience needed.