[Champion Concept] Rane, the March of Progress

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2013

Rane, the March of Progress

Rane is a cybernetically enhanced follower of Viktor's Glorious Evolution.

The lower half of her body has been replaced with comically over-sized mechanical legs: similar in ratio to Vi's gauntlets.

Her abilities and movements produce heavy, clanging sounds.

Lore:

Ever since Viktor emerged from his lab to herald it, the Glorious Evolution has slowly gathered willing volunteers for augmentation. For a bit of coin, Viktor offers to replace whatever flesh one will consent to with superior machinery: slowly gaining the trust and respect of his fellow Zaunites. Some patients, such as Rane, then work for him to advance his vision of an augmented world.

Rane began life afflicted by paraplegia, likely a victim of Zaun's unfettered polution. Life for the crippled is cruel in industrial Zaun, but Viktor's Glorious Evolution brought her hope of a normal life. After volunteering for augmentation, she pledged her service to the Glorious Evolution in lack of monetary payment, as is common with poorer Zaunites. She then began a career as a low level lab assistant with a pair of mechanical legs.

This career ended the day Jayce attacked the lab. She led other loyal assistants to stop him, but they were effortlessly smashed aside. In the end, even Viktor himself could not prevent him from destroying the lab's power source, slowing the Glorious Evolution's augmentations to a relative standstill.

With her legs damaged from the fight, Rane requested a new role: to guard the Glorious Evolution against all who would stand in its way. Impressed by her loyalty, Viktor upgraded her augmented legs to the peak of his ability, and assigned her to join him in the League of Legends.

Rane now fights alongside Viktor for a better tomorrow, free from disability.

Resource:

Heat. Ultimate maxes out heat and can only be used at 0 heat.

Stats of Note:

To reflect a kicking oriented champion's animations, Rane's base AS is unusually low.

Base AS: 0.632 (+1.98% /lvl)

[For comparison, Wukong's base AS is 0.658 (+3.0%) and Nautilus' base AS is 0.613 (+0.98% /lvl).]

Passive- Hextech Stompers:

Rane starts the game with Hextech Stompers, which can be upgraded in the store for 700 gold into one of three variants. All variants can be enchanted like level two boots.

Hextech Stompers- Unique Passive: +25 Movement Speed. + 3 Attack Damage per level.

(Higher base AD to compensate for lower base AS. I would put it in base stats were it not for Sheen.)

Augment: Speed

Unique Passive: Enhanced Movement: +60 Movement Speed. Increases to +105 Movement Speed if out of combat for 5 seconds.

+ 3 Attack Damage per level.

Unique Passive: Slow Resist: Movement Slowing Effects are reduced by 25%.

Augment: Redundancy

+10 Armor

+10 Magic Resist

Unique Passive: Enhanced Movement: +45 Movement Speed.

Unique Passive: Tenacity: The duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds and immobilizes are reduced by 35%.

Unique Passive: Blocks 10% of the damage from basic attacks.

Augment: Striking

+20% Attack Speed

+15% CDR

Q: Punt:

Rane delivers a powerful kick, damaging a nearby enemy and briefly knocking them back.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, Punt deals additional damage and knocks the target back much further.

Range: Melee.
Cooldown: 9/ 8/ 7/ 6/ 5 seconds.
Knockback: Distance is half of Maokai's Arcane Smash. Half second duration, distance not listed on wiki.
Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 100% AD)
Limitless Knockback Distance: 550. (Alistar's Headbutt is 650.)
Limitless Damage: 30 /60 /90 /120/ 150 (+130% AD)

W- Stepping Stone:

Rane leaps off of a nearby allied or enemy champion, landing on the opposite side of them. (Reactivate to select landing distance.) Damages and slows the target if it was an enemy, and damages and slows enemies in an area around where she lands.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, enemies are stunned by the first instance of Stepping Stone that hits them.

Cooldown: 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 seconds.
Jump distance: 600. (Alistar's Headbutt has 650 range.)
Landing AOE: 380. (Alistar's Pulverize has 365 AOE.)
Slow: 35%
Slow Duration: 1.5 seconds.
Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 80% AD)
Limitless Stun Duration: 1 second.
Limitless damage: 30 /60 /90 /120/ 150 (+110% AD)

E- Iron Stride:

Rane moves in a bounding stride for 4 seconds, gaining bonus movement speed and stomping the ground each second, damaging nearby enemies.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, Iron Stride deals additional damage and enemies are knocked back a short distance by the first stomp that hits them.

Duration: 4 seconds.
Cooldown: 13 /12 /11 /10 /9
Movement Speed Bonus: 15 /20 /25 /30 /35%
AOE: 350
Damage: 20 /25 /30 /35 /40 (+ 20% AD)
Limitless Knockback: 200 Units. (Riven's Broken Wings knocks back 225 units.)
Limitless Damage: 35 /40 /45 /50 /55 (+ 30% AD)

R- Break the Limit:

Rane pushes her augmentation beyond recommended parameters, enhancing her next ability.

Her heat meter maxes out, and she gains 20/30/40 bonus Attack Damage until the meter empties.

Break the Limit can only be cast while her heat meter is empty.

(Like Rumble, the overheat period lasts 6 seconds, though she is not silenced. Break the Limit has no cooldown aside the heat period.)

Taunt:

Animation- Stomps the ground and grinds her foot against it.

*Spit* "Bring it."

"Keep your distance, I take big steps."

Joke:

Animation- Looks at the bottom of her foot, grimaces, and wipes it off on the ground.

"Ugh, was that your face?"

"I think I stepped on something..."

Numbers are rough, but I can tweak and explain things as need be.

I tried to focus on a kit that would really feel like fighting as a cyborg with oversized mechanical legs: lore and appearence matching gameplay.

I hold Draven and Thresh as paragons of this concept, and Irelia and Nunu as failures on varying levels.

SMP Loops

07-19-2013

Quote:

Rane starts the game with Hextech Stompers, which can be upgraded in the store for 700 gold into one of three variants. All variants can be enchanted like level two boots.

Hextech Stompers- Unique Passive: +25 Movement Speed. + 3 Attack Damage per level.

(Higher base AD to compensate for lower base AS. I would put it in base stats were it not for Sheen.)

Unique Passive: Enhanced Movement: +60 Movement Speed. Increases to +105 Movement Speed if out of combat for 5 seconds.

+10 Armor

+10 Magic Resist

Unique Passive: Tenacity: The duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds and immobilizes are reduced by 35%.

+20% Attack Speed

+15% CDR

Her passive is free boots. I don't have any issue with this. The 10% damage reduction on Redundancy is... redundant (ba-dum-tss) and you may as well just give it a bit more armor. Armor can be dealt with, a straight up reduction can't really. Everything needs counterplay. Anyways I like the idea, and it fits the character, my only other concern is will boots+ a starter item be too good? Hard to tell without seeing it.

Quote:

Rane delivers a powerful kick, damaging a nearby enemy and briefly knocking them back.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, Punt deals additional damage and knocks the target back much further.

Knockback: Identical to Maokai's, one second duration, distance not listed on wiki.
Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 110% AD)
Cool. No issues here.

Quote:
W- Stepping Stone:

Rane leaps off of a nearby allied or enemy champion, landing on the opposite side of them. (Reactivate to select landing distance.) Damages and slows the target if it was an enemy, and damages and slows enemies in an area around where she lands.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, enemies are stunned instead of slowed by the first instance of Stepping Stone that hits them.

Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 100% AD)
Limitless Stun Duration: 1.5 seconds.
Limitless damage: 30 /60 /90 /120/ 150 (+130% AD)
Again, cool ability, suits the character, however the ratios are a bit too high for the 1.5 stun in CC she has. That stun duration should be lowered slightly, as well as the ratios.

Quote:
E- Iron Stride:

Rane moves in a bounding stride for 4 seconds, gaining bonus movement speed and stomping the ground each second, damaging and slowing nearby enemies.

When enhanced by Break the Limit, Iron Stride deals additional damage and enemies are knocked back a short distance by the first stomp that hits them.

Cooldown: 12 /11 /10 /9 /8
Slow: 20%
Again, suits the character really well, though I would suggest making this scale off of AP. All the other abilities scale off of AD and do enough damage already, this should be a utility skill for closing gaps and CCing, not one for damage.

Quote:
R- Break the Limit:

Rane pushes her augmentation beyond recommended parameters, enhancing her next ability.

Her heat meter maxes out, and she gains +12/14/16% bonus Movement Speed and 20/30/40 bonus Attack Damage until the meter empties.

(Like Rumble, the overheat period lasts 6 seconds, though she is not silenced. Break the Limit has no cooldown aside the heat period.)
oooooooooo, AND YOU WERE DOING SO WELL! The issue that I have with ultimate's that just give you stat buffs is that they never really feel satisfying to use. Like compare Fizz's ult to Singed's ultimate. You'd rather use Fizz's right? That being said, the speed buff isn't needed, since it's already part of your E, and your character has high enough damage without another Damage buff. Since you're in Melee range all the time, you'd rather have something that makes you beefier, unless you wanna go the assassin route.

I also noticed that none of your abilities use the heat mechanic, which is really sad because it's so cool. What I suggest is making a trade off. I say make it so that your abilities generate heat, so that if you're constantly using your abilities in lane, your ult will have a really low cool down but you'll have a lot of presence. Then, make your ultimate something really satisfying, rewarding the player for being patient.

If you go the assassin route, she's going to have a lot of CC as an assassin, and that's pretty scary, so try to avoid putting anymore into the ultimate. Other than this skill, I think you're character is looking pretty good gameplay wise. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2013

The passive is more or less free boots and better boots upgrades: each one is a fusion of two tier 2 boots.

Redundancy is actually the only one I nerfed from a pure fusion of Mercury's Treads and Ninja Tabi: otherwise it would have +25 armor and +25 magic resistance instead of 10 each.

I'm not very attached to it and wouldn't mind changing it.

The W numbers were rather rough: what would you reccomend?

Perhaps a 1 second stun with a .5 second slow at the end and lowering both ratios by 20% AD?

Honestly, if I was going to give an AP ratio I would probably try to make a tanky AP build viable by adding another one: I like multiple build paths anyway.

I'm also a bit hesitant to remove it as a damage ability because some damage is tied to the ultimate enchance, and I'm worried players would feel like they were gimping their damage if they enchanced Iron Stride.

Then again, perhaps it could be geared/ is already geared to be the most utility heavy enhance...I'll think on it.

I agree that the speed buff is redundant, in retrospect.

I'm not sure what you mean about abilties having heat giving the ult a low cool-down.

I could rework things to give the abilities lower natural heat, high enhanced heat, and make the ultimate have low or no cool-dow, perhaps, but it might require toning down some enchanced bonuses.

It could be interesting though: I just need to think through what kind of combos should be allowed and how to gate them with heat.

If I went that route, I might change the overheat bonus to a very Rumble-esq silence with some stat boost, likely auto-attack oriented.

(She has no Danger Zone effect, so I might be able to get away with it. I always loved the gameplay of Rumble's overheat.)

The character is meant to be a fighter or bruiser, depending on the ratio of damage to durability items purchased with a leaning to the tankier end.

The lack of a hard gap closer kind of bars her from the assassin role.

I'll think on the posibility of a more Rumble-like heat system rework, but in the meantime I'll remove the speed buff from the ultimate.

There is just a lot to consider with a mechanics shift like that.

(Would it be balanced to get two enhanced abilties consecutively, but then immediately overheat into silence? The system could be geared so that casting a normal ability first would disalow two enchanced abilities.)

(Should the Overheat bonus you get while silenced change depending on what boot you chose, or would a single effect be better?)

Anyway, thanks for the review: it gave me some good things to think about.

SMP Loops

07-19-2013

Here's what I understand of the situation in regards to heat and abilities. As it stands, when she has 0 heat, she will be able to use her ultimate, and when she does use it, it will go back to 100 and will slowly cool back down to 0. It's essentially a visual cooldown bar.

Now with her Q, W, and E I see that having no effect on the heat bar at all (I don't see any values for heat at least) So what I recomended was allowing these abilities to interact with the heat bar in a unique way.

If you are at 60 heat, with the lowest being 0 and the highest being 100, and you cast a Q, maybe your heat would jump up to 65. This creates a situation where using your Q has increased the cooldown on your ultimate, so you would have to wait longer to use it. Make sense now?

SMP Loops

07-19-2013

Now as for the skill upgrades and such, i'm not too sure I understand all of that.

Galgus

07-20-2013

That would make combos clunky for no foreseeable reason.

I was actually thinking of a different system where abilities would generate heat and the ultimate would cause them to generate more heat.

(Instead of the current "can only be cast at no heat" system.)

Hitting Overheat would have a Rumble-esq effect with a silence and an incentive to auto-attack.

This would be geared so that players would need to choose between comboing two normal abilities followed by an enhanced ability or casting two consecutive enhanced abilities.

I'm not sure its better than the current system, but it could create interesting decisions around combos and heat.

So far, its just a crazy idea that I'm not sure about acting on.

Moby the White

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
Rane, the March of Progress

Rane is a cybernetically enhanced follower of Viktor's Glorious Evolution.

The lower half of her body has been replaced with comically over-sized mechanical legs: similar in ratio to Vi's gauntlets.

Her abilities and movements produce heavy, clanging sounds.

Lore:

Ever since Viktor emerged from his lab to herald it, the Glorious Evolution has slowly gathered willing volunteers for augmentation. For a bit of coin, Viktor offers to replace whatever flesh one will consent to with superior machinery: slowly gaining the trust and respect of his fellow Zaunites. Some patients, such as Rane, then work for him to advance his vision of an augmented world.

Rane began life afflicted by paraplegia, likely a victim of Zaun's unfettered polution. Life for the crippled is cruel in industrial Zaun, but Viktor's Glorious Evolution brought her hope of a normal life. After volunteering for augmentation, she pledged her service to the Glorious Evolution in lack of monetary payment, as is common with poorer Zaunites. She then began a career as a low level lab assistant with a pair of mechanical legs.

This career ended the day Jayce attacked the lab. She led other loyal assistants to stop him, but they were effortlessly smashed aside. In the end, even Viktor himself could not prevent him from destroying the lab's power source, slowing the Glorious Evolution's augmentations to a relative standstill.

With her legs damaged from the fight, Rane requested a new role: to guard the Glorious Evolution against all who would stand in its way. Impressed by her loyalty, Viktor upgraded her augmented legs to the peak of his ability, and assigned her to join him in the League of Legends.

Rane now fights alongside Viktor for a better tomorrow, free from disability.

Resource:

Heat. Ultimate maxes out heat and can only be used at 0 heat.

Stats of Note:

To reflect a kicking oriented champion's animations, Rane's base AS is unusually low.

Base AS: 0.632 (+1.98% /lvl)

[Identical to Nautlus. For comparison, Wukong's base AS is 0.658 (+3.0%) and Nautilus' base AS is 0.613 (+0.98% /lvl).]

+10 Armor

+10 Magic Resist

+20% Attack Speed

+15% CDR

Knockback: Identical to Maokai's, one second duration, distance not listed on wiki.
Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 110% AD)

W- Stepping Stone:

When enhanced by Break the Limit, enemies are stunned instead of slowed by the first instance of Stepping Stone that hits them.

Damage: 20 /40 /60 /80/ 100 (+ 80% AD)
Limitless Stun Duration: 1 seconds.
Limitless damage: 30 /60 /90 /120/ 150 (+110% AD)

E- Iron Stride:

Rane moves in a bounding stride for 4 seconds, gaining bonus movement speed and stomping the ground each second, damaging and slowing nearby enemies.

Cooldown: 12 /11 /10 /9 /8
Slow: 20%

R- Break the Limit:

Her heat meter maxes out, and she gains 20/30/40 bonus Attack Damage until the meter empties.

Taunt:

Animation- Stomps the ground and grinds her foot against it.

*Spit* "Bring it."

"Keep your distance, I take big steps."

Joke:

Animation- Looks at the bottom of her foot, grimaces, and wipes it off on the ground.

"Ugh, was that your face?"

"I think I stepped on something..."

Numbers are rough, but I can tweak and explain things as need be.

I tried to focus on a kit that would really feel like fighting as a cyborg with oversized mechanical legs: lore and appearence matching gameplay.

I hold Draven and Thresh as paragons of this concept, and Irelia and Nunu as failures on varying levels.
While the lore is written with a bio style it is strong for the style it is written in. I personally favor more action-packed lore. But that is me. It is written well and gives a clear explanation for where they came from and how they came to be.

I found your abilities to be thematic and very humorous in titles. I think the damages are quite okay I can't say more on this without breaking into stuff that I do not specialize in. However, I can gladly always assist with lore and if you ever want to try a different approach.

Galgus

07-24-2013

I don't really know how to write the background aside that bare bones bio style and still present all the information I need to.

How would you approach it?

Would a more in-depth combat scene of Jayce's incursion tie readers in more, or perhaps some dialogue from her about getting augmented?

Dzanio

07-26-2013

Resource: The heat mechanic is Yordle technology; I don’t think the Zaunites would use it.

Side note: heat = fury for yordles.

Items: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ghlight=flames

Consider that this variant of Viktor’s passive doesn’t really contribute anything new to the game or unique to Rane’s kit. Also the +3 AD per level is a lot passively, and is not included in the upgraded boots stats, which is weird.

Passive for a fury system should really include a description of how it stacks, how it decays, the way it interacts with the rest of the kit, and the penalty for overheating (this is what separates heat from fury; heat stacking is bad, fury stacking is good).

Q: I think the knockback distance is 100? Base damage is low. Doesn’t seem very mechanically inspired… CD is really low for a knockback.

W: damage a bit low. Still no techmaturgy tie in.

E: too much cc and gap closing given your w, I’d lose the slow. Could use a mechanical tie in.

R: should really be a purge mechanism to cool your systems instead of an overheat ability.

Galgus

07-27-2013

Rumble is an oddball of a Yordle, and the only one who uses the mechanic among the technologically inclined Yordles: its not enough to claim the technology.

(Fury and Heat are also mechanically different.)

I thought people would assume that the +3 AD per level carries on with the upgrade, but I might add it in to clear things up.

The bonus AD is only there because her base AS is low. Kicking animations would look more natural with slower attacks.

The passive itself is mostly thematic, but does allow some level of specialization between mobility and positioning/ survivability/ damage.

I'll add in the Heat mechanic description later to clear up any confusion.

Q:

Have you seen the number somewhere? I'd love to have it to compare and balance around.

I'll cut the knockback distance and duration in half for the non-enhanced version. I need to do more comparisons for the base damage.

W:

Its meant to tie in with the theme of oversized legs. She isn't a noteworthy engineer, she just uses her augmentation with brute force.

E:

Her W can only gap close when she has an enemy or allied champion to vault on: she doesn't have an on-demand dash.

I'm worried she wouldn't be able to stick to targets without a slow there, but perhaps Stepping Stone's slow is enough. I'll think on that change.

R:

In its current form, its meant to show that her augmentation needs time to cool down after being overloaded.

She can't overload it again until it has recovered.

(Admittedly, it was inspired by a character named Cyborg from the silly show Teen Titans: a specific episode in particular.)

Anyway, I was thinking of mirroring Rumble's mechanic more with heat on each ability in the third thread response: so she would either use two normal and one enhanced ability or just two enhanced abilities.

Thanks for the review!