Master Yi, Ability Power Vs. Damage WTF RIOT

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Learz

01-02-2013

Okay so atm ap Master yi is stronger then AD Master yi? honestly wtf please nerf that sh*t

Red Ryu

01-02-2013

This isn't the first time an "off what was intended style was stronger" in league.

SeiYouSiLa

01-02-2013

ap means alpha strike deals tones of damage and heal super quick

ad means crazy crits

pick one

Shigoshi

01-02-2013

Take malady after a rabadons and pick up a lichbane. Hit with ALL THE AP!

Resolute Riven

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigoshi View Post
Take malady after a rabadons and pick up a lichbane. Hit with ALL THE AP!
not malady.

LastLaughLol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

AP Yi is very strong. I play it tons.Very fun. Courtesy of playing on my smurf one time. But he is a 1 trick pony.Thats why he has to bait, and out smart you, which is a very viable playstyle because of that. You need to have 1 CC to interupt his heal. His job is to bait your CC before he heals. Its that easy.

ChChCheckItOut

01-02-2013

I have no issue with Yi being able to be played both AD and AP because it just makes him a more fun champ in total. Depending on whether he is built AD or AP changes his play style completely and he fills different rolls. AD Yi is an easy to learn, simple champion. He has a blink (alpha strike), a AD steroid, a heal with armor and mr boost, and an ms and as steroid for an ult. Except for his heal its all very generic for a melee AD champ and thats the point. AD Yi has almost always been used by low level people who want a solid introduction champ and that fits with his extremely small IP price. Although this is great and he has always been popular in low level matches he has (at least in the past two years of me playing) been shunned in level 30 matches and especially ranked. With the appearance of people building him AP, which I think has become popular in the past year or so, he has been played more and more often in ranked and level 30 unranked matches as an AP carry. Its good that he is now viable in the entire spectrum of levels, but because AP Yi is fairly "new" he has some issues to be worked out still.

My opinions on his abilities:
Alpha strike: AP Yi has very high damage with alpha strike, but it cannot be considered anything more powerful than any other AP carries aoe bursts (besides that it is not a skill shot vs most ap carries aoe bursts are skill shots EX. Veigar's falling meteor, annie's fire cone, katarina's spin (I dont compare it to her knife through because I'm not sure how the damage compares and it requires another ability to achieve the full damage), syndra's ball, ball throw, and cone push). Alpha strike is not a skill shot, but it does teleport him to the target putting the squishy Yi right in the middle of danger, something most other AP carries do not have to worry about. To me this makes up for the lack of it being a skill shot and does require Yi to be played differently. The bonus damage to minions is something to be looked at because this is something much different than any other champions (I believe). It makes sense for the low level people playing AD Yi because at low levels people are obviously not as good at farming. The biggest issue I have with Yi is in lane. Alpha strike randomly targets enemies in a certain range of the last hit enemy creating an element of randomness in harassment of the other champion. We all know Riot hates randomness and luck (dodge was removed because it was too game changing SOMETIMES and other times useless. Work has also been done to make crits happen less randomly. Meaning with 50% crit you won't have long streaks of crits or long streaks of no crits.) and with good reason. Randomness adds in a factor of luck which eliminates some of the skill required to do well. This makes the game less fun, if you are good you should do well and if you are bad, you should do badly (that came out harshly, but you get my point). Sometimes in lane alpha strike is overly effective and sometimes it may not ever hit a champion, hypothetically. Generally, I think alpha strike is overly effective at harassing champions for something that is not a skill shot and in lane, when Yi alpha strikes to a minion, does not put him in any serious danger. When Yi is played AD the damage is not enough to be overly strong, unless alpha strike is maxed first but that sacrifices extra AD. AP Yi on the other hand is able to do large amounts of damage at a large range and without having to place a clever skillshot. He is able to kill an AP caster (assuming they did not sacrifice damage for mr) with a few alpha strikes, after he gets two or three levels and some extra AP. This is in my opinion the main thing about Yi that should be looked at and fixed.
My idea to fix this would be to have alpha strike's damage decrease for each target hit. I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but it should be adjusted to be less than other popular mid AP carries by the time it gets to the fourth or fifth enemy hit. The first hit should deal slightly more than other AP carries aoe's because he is putting himself in danger, and the second and third hits should deal about the same as other AP carries aoe's so his farming and effectiveness in team fights would be about the same as them. This change wouldnt affect AD yi too much because his farming from it would be about the same, and if he does choose to go to a champion he will still deal some burst damage.

Meditate: On AD it is the ability that requires skill to use effectively and it should stay this way. On AP it provides ridiculous sustain in lane, after its leveled up a few times and with some extra AP, and it trolls any champion that does not have hard CC, ignite, grevious wounds, or extremely extremely high damage. I don't think this skill needs too much changing, because if you are meditating you aren't damaging at all (unless you have sunfire, thornmail, etc). It is also easily countered and can leave you worse off then when you started.
If I was going to change this skill I would have the AP ratio be much lower (to control the lane sustain), but increase based on how damage you are taking (or slightly higher to compensate for the lane sustain nerf). This would allow AP Yi to keep his same feeling of being invincible in the middle of a huge team fight and would not effect AD Yi very much because most of his sustain in lane is from lifesteal, generally.

Ult and other ability (I forget the name of :P) both of these are fine in my opinions.

TLDR; There's a reason it's long. But you have to read it to find out what the reason is.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChChCheckItOut View Post
TLDR; There's a reason it's long. But you have to read it to find out what the reason is.

No, for the OP, there is no reason that a champion shouldn't be played both AD and AP.

ChChCheckItOut

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaree View Post
No, for the OP, there is no reason that a champion shouldn't be played both AD and AP.
All I talked about was that it was good that he can be played both ways and all of my fixes keep in mind both play styles and try to balance one without harming the other. Or are you talking about the thread starter in which in case I agree with you

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learz View Post
ap Master yi is stronger then AD Master yi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZGHOxnCto