Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

95% of the supports I have played with compete for CS at the ~10 min mark

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MateenOwesMoney

12-26-2012

Quote:
Disgruntler:
If you're not in lane, and the option is 'let the creep die' or 'last hit' then it would be a waste of gold for me not to last hit.

That doesn't mean to push the lane, but it's no different freezing the lane than you last hitting. Sometimes I -have- to get a few hits in TO freeze the lane for you.

But complaing about losing gold you can't get is foolish.

After laning is over, if I need to kill minions to push a tower, I'm going to do so.

This. If you aren't in lane, its not your CS

Cewkie

12-26-2012

Quote:
LogicalTautology:
As an AD Carry, my job is to do nothing but sit there and last-hit for the first 20ish minutes of the game. I won't focus on kiting, I won't focus on fighting them, I won't focus on the map. Your job is to zone them and keep me alive, pinging when their jungler is coming to gank. My job is spend all my energies farming so that I carry you in lategame.

Sounds like an intense game of wack-a-mole.

You should focus on kiting, you deal more damage than the support and usually less squishy.
You should fight when the enemy team makes a bad move to try and get kills.
You should focus on the map. The support has placed wards and now you want him to tell you when something's amiss? The support also has to watch out for you within the lane.
You should also try and zone. Between the adc and support, the adc would be perceived as the greater threat. The alteration of your position will affect the enemy adc's more than a support's position.

Boagster

12-26-2012

While I agree with most of the post above me (Cewkie, post 32847706 (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=32847706#post32847706)), I have to politely disagree with one thing: the ADC zoning vs Support zoning. That is all dependent on the ADC and Support. Caitlyn is going to be able to zone better than, say, Taric, but Leona is going to be able to zone better than Tristana or Graves. Alistar should be able to zone anyone better than their ADC.

That said, both the ADC and Support working together to zone will work better a vast majority of the time compared to one or the other. The lane is not "ADC does this; Support does that", it's "ADC has these responsibilities, Support has those, while the lane has these". The job of the lane as a whole isn't just to get the ADC fed, but to make sure their ADC isn't fed also. Neither the ADC nor the Support can do that alone.

Fusion31690

12-26-2012

Your playing with unskilled players. A support is there to protect their carry that is all and you should try ranked if your a good player. You get a lot less idiots that dont know what they are doing.

first time Vayne

12-26-2012

Quote:
zdillon:
ughh i typed out a big nice reply to this but it got deleted soo umm basscly main points SUPPORTS NEED FARM JUST AS MUCH AS YOU, map pussure is important if your a roaming mid or jungler the map relief that you showing your self is almost always greater value than the wave that that a support can handle or shuold in some cases save for the adc, and sorry about the yelly ness of this post a typed out a well thought out and put together resopnse to this but **** happens so be nice to support man they'll save your ass more than you will ever know

Actually no. The whole point of selecting a support champ is picking one that can be just as effective with cs as without. So give your carries the minions. They need it more.

Vrykonik

12-26-2012

Some supports like Nunu become incredibly strong with more farm. With the new changes it is harder for supports to get cash they need. Sometimes farming is the best they can do if they have a adc who will not be doing the bulk of their damage. Often when you get paired with bad adc's they won't attack when you snare enemies or just run from any team fight. In which case certain supports (not all of them) are way better off with the gold. But it is very situational.

Flagrock

12-26-2012

Quote:
LogicalTautology:

As for your "Edit", that shows a huge lack of fundamental understanding of botlane. Let's say I can kill any creep below 80 and you any creep below 40. If you're "competing for CS with me", you will be taking every single creep. My job is to only last hit the creeps when they are one minion hit away from dying.

Let's say you are playing Support with an AD Carry that you have seen is far worse than you at LoL (or having a really bad game, either one). You can choose either of the following scenarios at the 20-minute mark.
A) ADC has 125 CS, you have 0.
B) ADC has 100 CS, you have 40.
If you don't pick option A every single time, it means you do not understand how to best win a game of LoL.

Ok, this is a really really bad argument. Ok FIRST, you complaining about his edit is completely and utterly flawed. He said IF THERE IS A CS FIGHT, so, that means IF YOU MUST GRAB CS BEFORE THE SUPPORT, NOT DO THIS EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's simple math you'll win every time in the cs war so don't complain.

Secondly, "A) ADC has 125 CS, you have 0.
B) ADC has 100 CS, you have 40.
If you don't pick option A every single time, it means you do not understand how to best " This statement is very very bad. So, you are going to give up gold to your support who can A) buy more wards ontop the sightstone B) GET MORE AURA ITEMS TO HELP THE TEAM C) Get tankier/more AP so they can do their job better. Now, this is a TEAM GAME not a SOLO game. So, if your support gets an aura item, GUESS WHAT, IT HELP 5 PEOPLE OUT NOT JUST ONE :O So, supports getting gold is not a terrible thing.

Now, supports should NOT be trying to take cs while the AD carry is in lane. However if the AD carry leaves the support SHOULD get the last hits so they STILL GET THE GOLD. Why waste the gold if they minion is going to die and your carry is not in lane. It's the same effect for the junglers. If you watch some of the pro team junglers they'll sit in the lanes when people go back if they're close because it's free XP and gold. You don't waste the gold and xp and then your jungler is stronger which means better ganks, stronger team mate, and higher chance of winning. Be smart choose the TEAM approach not the SOLO or ME approach. If you're not in lane don't complain that the support is trying to get some gold to GET AURA ITEMS FOR YOU. Basically stop being greedy and only caring about I, ME, and MY

CholericLurch

12-26-2012

My main role is support. I will only CS if the ADC is not there. If he is there I will sit in the bush and wait to pounce with attacks. Utility masteries are essential to a good support hence the more gold per sec, also you can farm off basic attacks to champs

playerwinner

12-26-2012

Supports should be csing when your not in lane, your not going to get that gold because the minion will die before you get back to lane.

Boagster

12-26-2012

What is everyone's opinion on the following situation (despite how rare it is)?

You are Support, hiding in a lane bush. Your ADC is farming, when you notice two minions that are going to drop at to minions at the same time. The ADC clearly can only get one of them. One is right next to the ADC, who is near river, while the other is right next to you, near the end of your ADCs range.

Is it alright to last-hit the one near you, since the gold is more than likely going to be wasted, or do you ignore it, not wanting to risk the fact that your ADC might, for whatever reason, go for that one instead?

I've noticed this situation enough times, probably once or twice a game. I, myself, follow the first train of thought. No ADC has said anything to me because of it. It's not like I'm fighting with him over CS - it's clear I'm giving him the CS. I was just picking up that one straggler we were guaranteed to lose.