95% of the supports I have played with compete for CS at the ~10 min mark

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandalogy

12-25-2012

lol logical, obviously no support is gonna have the idea of intentionally doing that but you must remember there are little kids in this game that will rage so hard to make their adc suffer lol.

Pandalogy

12-25-2012

I havent seen this in gold thou, just silver and sometimes in gold c;

Boagster

12-25-2012

I concur that your support shouldn't be taking your CS (unless you are losing minions to tower anyway), but I have to ask, do you say anything to them? I've found that the few times I've had supports taking my CS, a polite, "Mind if I get the farm? You've got GP/10 items, I don't," works wonders (or, "I can put it to better use," if for some absurd reason they didn't build GP/10).

But, as a counterpoint (I love playing Devil's Advocate), supports can put CS to better use in S3 than they could in S2. The new support item options are much better than what they used to be building and far more beneficial to the team. Tanky AP supports can make fantastic use out of Twin Shadows' stats and it's active will save someones ass more than once in a game. It can benefit any support, really. Thing is, it builds out of a Kage's Pick, meaning they'll lose some of their GP/10, so a little CS can really help.

TL;DR: More often than not, the support shouldn't touch CS, but it's not nearly as close to the end of the world now in S3 as it was in S2.

PapeRarty

12-25-2012

I wouldn't say I main support but in my elo no one ever wants to support, and since I don't mind and would like to think I'm pretty good at it I end up supporting probably 90% of the games I play.

I NEVER cs during laning stage, unless the wave is already at our tower and I'm basically just last hitting at that point. And even then if it looks like I'm pushing the wave I stop so when my carry comes back it's waiting for him. Otherwise I might cs some late game if no one else is around, but otherwise I just leave it. Really as a support, if you know what you're doing, you don't need CS to be effective.

Zlain

12-25-2012

after 10mins your lease on my lane expires and all your creeps are belong to me.

Keuzen

12-25-2012

I get a friend to go with me bot while I support him. He lets me farm a bit to get my gold per/5 earlier while I spoon feed him kills like a support should do.

Disgruntler

12-25-2012

If you're not in lane, and the option is 'let the creep die' or 'last hit' then it would be a waste of gold for me not to last hit.

That doesn't mean to push the lane, but it's no different freezing the lane than you last hitting. Sometimes I -have- to get a few hits in TO freeze the lane for you.

But complaing about losing gold you can't get is foolish.

After laning is over, if I need to kill minions to push a tower, I'm going to do so.

adc

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
No. Stop it.

If I push out the lane before recalling, the whole point is so that I can get back to lane without missing more than half a wave or so. Not so you can then farm the waves until I get back.

If the minions are not being hit by the tower, don't damage them. Just don't. If you want to go the extra mile, stand a bit ahead of the tower so the minions stand there attacking you instead of entering turret range. Don't attack them. Just stand there holding S.
I don't know why this post was downvoted. This is how support is supposed to be played. The ONLY time you should be taking CS as a support is if the minion is going to die no matter what and your carry is not there. You shouldn't be letting the CS hit the tower where it can die (unless the enemy lane forces you back), and you shouldn't be damaging the CS more than a last hit if it's for sure going to die.

Literally the entire reason support exists is because there needs to be a fifth role where you DON'T need farm. There are 5 players and 4 income sources. So there's one role that doesn't take income - the support. A support hero is a hero that thrives with or without farm. You don't need farm. Don't take it from people who do.

Period.

KnightxSScarlett

12-25-2012

I just wanna point out that you don't *have* to play by the meta. It is a choice. If your *support* starts taking cs, that's up to them. Of all of the ranked I've played, it's usually better anyway because the support (AKA: me) tends to be forced to take on a stronger role because the carry (AKA: you) needs to be babysat way more than necessary because you don't know how to either:

A. kite
B. last hit
C. dodge skillshots
D. read the map

EDIT: Btw, if you can't compete for last hits with a SUPPORT, then you shouldn't play ranked. They have 50 AD, you have 80. You should beat them to the last hits every time.

LogicalTautology

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
I just wanna point out that you don't *have* to play by the meta. It is a choice. If your *support* starts taking cs, that's up to them. Of all of the ranked I've played, it's usually better anyway because the support (AKA: me) tends to be forced to take on a stronger role because the carry (AKA: you) needs to be babysat way more than necessary because you don't know how to either:

A. kite
B. last hit
C. dodge skillshots
D. read the map

EDIT: Btw, if you can't compete for last hits with a SUPPORT, then you shouldn't play ranked. They have 50 AD, you have 80. You should beat them to the last hits every time.
As an AD Carry, my job is to do nothing but sit there and last-hit for the first 20ish minutes of the game. I won't focus on kiting, I won't focus on fighting them, I won't focus on the map. Your job is to zone them and keep me alive, pinging when their jungler is coming to gank. My job is spend all my energies farming so that I carry you in lategame.

As for your "Edit", that shows a huge lack of fundamental understanding of botlane. Let's say I can kill any creep below 80 and you any creep below 40. If you're "competing for CS with me", you will be taking every single creep. My job is to only last hit the creeps when they are one minion hit away from dying. You not understanding how to best win this game and "competing for CS" will make us lose more often than not because in order to keep up in CS I will have to push the lane, and will still probably only get 75% of the CS I would otherwise have anyways.

Let's say you are playing Support with an AD Carry that you have seen is far worse than you at LoL (or having a really bad game, either one). You can choose either of the following scenarios at the 20-minute mark.
A) ADC has 125 CS, you have 0.
B) ADC has 100 CS, you have 40.
If you don't pick option A every single time, it means you do not understand how to best win a game of LoL.

123456 ... 7