Riot what is your justification for runes existing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Graves III

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvuntien View Post
To add RPG elements to the game.

To allow us to customise how we start the game for our play style and liking.
What gets me is that since runes and champs both cost IP, no one gets to actually experiment with runes.

Cakecicle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

OP, why are you posting on a dummy account? I bet on because 300Elo.

Lord Graves III

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakecicle View Post
OP, why are you posting on a dummy account? I bet on because 300Elo.
What does that have to do with anything?

Rather than attack someone's skill, why don't you make a counter argument on behalf of runes?

Of course I could just attack your intellect instead of debating you :P Your call.

Map Awareness

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Graves III View Post
What gets me is that since runes and champs both cost IP, no one gets to actually experiment with runes.
You do know you can buy champs with RP if you really, really, really need said runes and you really, really, really need them right now, right?

Digitality

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Awareness View Post
You do know you can buy champs with RP if you really, really, really need said runes and you really, really, really need them right now, right?
Which is a point he made in his opening statements.

They're an IP sink. Leaving you less IP to purchase champions with instead.

I really don't care because I'm past that hurdle, but runes could be removed from the game entirely and champion base stats adjusted for it and the game would be fine.

Certain champion viability issues would disappear with that as well. Like LB getting shut down immediately because of a full MR page.

PenguinKillBear

12-26-2012

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why people spending money is a bad thing.

If you are impatient and unwilling to save up the IP necessary to buy things then you should have to spend money that simple.

Desastrado

12-26-2012

I also have a problem with the runes having 3 tiers and buying tier 1 and 2 are most of the time a noobtrap, where if you get lucky you can save some money if you get an expensive quintessence.

They do make a really big impact in the game, like the other guy said with LB, and you can feel the difference.

I have an account at lv18, saving all the ip I can to buy the rune set when I hit 20, and every game I'm put against a player that can do true damage to me due to early pen, while also having increased defense.
Still if the player is bad I can win the lane, but even still it's much harder simply because he has free stats from the go where I can't have them yet.

Lord Graves III

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKillBear View Post
I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why people spending money is a bad thing.

If you are impatient and unwilling to save up the IP necessary to buy things then you should have to spend money that simple.
Spending money isn't bad. Runes as a whole don't really have a defense though in terms of their impact on the game.
Its not about impatiance. Its about inability to experiment.

Whats worth it, 8000 IP for hybrid quints that you really wanted to try out, and experiment with? Or a new champion?
Runes might suck. Runes might be sub optimal.

Once you have a basic page for a purpose (the same page everyone else uses for that purpose.) You are pretty much done.

Runes don't add anything, and they take away so much.

TheBald0ne

12-26-2012

Seems like people are forgetting Riot is a business. Business' are out to make money, not to give you free things. Their business model is to suck you in with free stuff in the hope you will eventually spend money. Runes help their business model, plain and simple.

Personally I have no issue at all with runes.

Terrorist Teemo

12-26-2012

I agree but only with the tier system. There should only be one tier. I feel that runes are a bonus not a necessity, I often play with no runes and masteries just to see how much I feel them. To be honest the only ones I feel are attack speed and full mres vs a nuker and full armour vs like riven/Garen. Anything else j barely notice.

One point I would like to bring up is rune pages. Just seems bad to purchase them with anything other than rp. And there isnt any reason that you should not be able to change them during champ select except to increase rune page sales.