Riot what is your justification for runes existing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MisterTitanic

12-25-2012

It's a million of your design flaws rolled into one
-Invisible power. holy **** yes. noone notices their runes unless they dont have any
-Barrier of entry. Different game at 30 and 1. Runes are a big part of it. Especially when it causes you to own about 5 champions when you hit 30
-Illusion of choice. I think we can safely say that almost everyone runs the same runes. With very very few exceptions.
-Emotional impact. Don't give a **** when you use the right runes. Mad as **** when you load the wrong runes. Lose lose situation.

The only pros of having runes is this:
Riot gets to make more money cause people spend money on runes and not champions.
Very minor customization. and even then there isn't much customization because most people really only own one set of runes for a role anyways

Proposed solution-Shift a lot of the power of runes into the base stats/masteries

MisterTitanic

12-26-2012

bump

RavenHusky

12-26-2012

You can't spend real money on runes, as that would be selling power. Also, you unlock rune slots as you level up your account. Also, why would the matchmaker pair a level 30 against a level 1 unless someone is playing with a new friend?

SuzukuKun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
You can't spend real money on runes, as that would be selling power. Also, you unlock rune slots as you level up your account. Also, why would the matchmaker pair a level 30 against a level 1 unless someone is playing with a new friend?
Not true

By using RP you are indirectly buying runes

So you save IP for runes and you buy champions with RP

But a *mostly* free person like myself has to decide between buying runes and buying champions

Voidgolem

12-26-2012

There is no reason to not load up on T1 runes: it's about 60% of the power of T3 for <10% of the cost.

You can then combine them into T3 and potentially save a giant pile of points if the RNG rolls in your favor and gives you a quint you need.

Lord Graves III

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Im just reposting my thread from 3 days ago on runes right here. Don't mean to hijack, but my thread died mind if my points hop on here?

Quote:
Hey guys. I want to talk about runes. We rarely discuss them but the are absolutely critical to play.
I feel like a discussion needs to be had on the rune economy. I don't understand many of the choices in Riot rune design and I feel they may secretly be in more need of reform than most other systems.
Especially since Items just got so heavily updated, I feel runes could use some work.

First of all, runes from what I understand theoretically exist to allow players to customize their stats slightly for their own purposes. This is in and of itself an admirable purpose. Hell, items technically work the same way at their best. They give the players a creative choice, deepening the game.

Problems are:
1.Runes don't actually encourage experimentation. They generally just serve as more of a wall you have to climb over before you can get to ranked.
Because runes use the same currency as new champions, and are NOT cheap. Because of this, people are encouraged to buy the most wide-use rune set possible then never think about them again. Most people don't buy champions (barring new champs the week they come out.) with IP. Since they are bought with IP at steep cost, they rarely are bought beyond a basic set to fulfill a role.
I feel runes should be bought from a different resource than champions.

2. Why are some runes more expensive than others? This also discourages experimentation. But Hybrid Steal/Vamp quintessences cost as much as a 6300 champion. Who actually owns those? But Ive dreamed for a long time of having a hybrid page including them.
Why do some runes of a given type cost more or less than others? The only exception I understand is that Avarice runes are cheap since they are super critical to the support role.

3, Why are there still 3 tiers of runes? Why were there ever 3 tiers of runes? Every time I bring someone new into the game i have to explain to them "No, don't buy runes. Don't worry about them till level 21 at least." This shouldn't happen to new players.
Why do the 3 tiers exist?!

4. Why have runes in sets of 9? It seems arbitrary as everyone just seems to stack 1 kind of rune 9 times. :P

And a neat idea I had

What if every 5 wins, or 10 wins, or whatever number of games, you got a free rune? I feel that if people could build a library of interesting runes. have 2 or 3 runes you don't normally use, then buy the rest to fill out a set, then try em out?
I feel this would add more encouragement to experiment with different runes.

TLDR: Rune thread. What do you feel could be done to improve the rune system? What do you think of what I've thought of? How bout them runes?
Im with OP.

Colonel J

12-26-2012

Incentive to buy IP boosts.

SuzukuKun

12-26-2012

I only agree about the 3 tier **** cuz I fell for it so many years ago cuz the shop didn't show you tier 3 runes until you hit lvl 21 so I thought i was buying the best -_-'

Narvuntien

12-26-2012

To add RPG elements to the game.

To allow us to customise how we start the game for our play style and liking.

DenareDragon

12-26-2012

I had that same problem leveling.
When I was around 22 or so, I was up against level 30s.
Levels 19 and under are a totally different game than 20 and up.
Runes can mean that early game advantage or that late game steamroll.
And if you don't have them, you're behind.

It's not quite as game changing as games before summoner 11 and after 11 (before and after flash), but you can tell who has runes and who does not.