[Request]: General Jungle Guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Immune To Spells

12-05-2009

I've been playing since October-ish, and gotten familiar with all the various mechanics and strats...except one: Jungling.

Is there an existing guide that lists the levels and bonuses of all the creep camps? Or, someone willing to put up a quick starters' guide?

I want to try out some junglin', but have no idea what the difficulty level and buffs of each group is (except Baron, of course).

Found a mini-mini-guide here that gave a vague idea:

http://forums.lol-europe.com/showthread.php?t=2816

But it's about a paragraph long, ha.

I've seen some of the individual Jungle guides, but they assume a level of familiarity with when and how to tackle each group of creeps.

Anyone have insights/direction?

MajorMajorMajor

12-05-2009

BUMP. I'm seeking the same thing, lol.

Rudeboymike

12-05-2009

Jungling Warwick Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PwjmAK3flY
Thanks to Dan Dinh

RamboBatman

12-06-2009

There are jungle guides available for pretty much all of the advisable jungle characters Warwick, Fiddle, Amumu, Malphite, Nunu. Each champion has its own optimal jungle order and item build which makes putting out a general jungle guide fairly difficult. However, here are some general thoughts:

Put two mastery points into "utility mastery" (I think thats what its called). It'll increase the length of your rune buffs by 30% which will pay you all sorts of dividends throughout the game. This may seem like a no-brainer but the point is, if your summoner level isn't high enough to pick up these masteries, you shouldn't be jungling. Masteries and runes add just that little bit of damage/survivability that can really make a difference in earlygame jungling.

Choose your summoner spells wisely. Smite and the improved smite mastery are a popular choice for obvious reasons. Heal will keep you in the jungle longer and rally really helps you solo Golem or Lizard early. However, nothing screams "I'm going to jungle, come gank me!" to your opponents quite like smite +rally/heal.

Opening items are key. For melee characters Cloth Armor and 5 hp pots is a popular choice. The armor is great damage mitigation early game and builds into Madred's which is good for faster jungling later. Some sort of hp-regen is a must for junglers so the potions are great. Another popular choice is some sort of elixir (fortitude for melee, brilliance for fiddlesticks). These used to be slightly better before their bonuses scaled with lvl but they can help you overcome the early-lvl hump. If you go with an elixir you need to make the most of its bonus during the 4 mins you have it because, for obivous reasons, you'll be slightly behind when it wears off. Other than armor or elixirs, a Doran's item (usually shield) can be used. Doran's dont build into anything and aren't as powerful as an elixir but do provide a great value for their cost.

Find out a camp order and execute it as swiftly as possible. Don't waste time thinking about where you're going next while in the game. You should run at least one practice game to determine what your champion can handle at what lvl and with what gear. For starting camps you've got a few options 1) Golem, 2)Lizard, 3)Wraiths. Golem is overall the best bet for most champions. The mana regen and cooldown reduction mean you can spam your skills on subsequent camps and get money and xp that much faster. The golem and his two mooks also get you to lvl 2 (if you've got +xp masteries). The lizard can also be good for physical champs but the buff is better for ganking laning champs than for continuing to jungle. The Wraiths are tricky, they can deal a lot of damage to someone like Nunu but are easy pickings for Amumu. If you're going to start there, smiting the big one will save you some headache. I didn't mention starting at the small camps (wolves, 2 golems) because they spawn unpredictably. If your plan revolves around eating the wolves and then moving on, trust that you'll find the golems there instead and vice-versa.

Dragon. Kill the dragon. Find out how early you can do it and then bring him down. The global gold and XP is one of the primary reasons for a team to field a sustained jungler.

Gank. After your first trip home to buy items you should adopt a more flexible jungling plan. At this point there are more likely to be enemies in the jungle looking for you/stealing your creeps. And, as they try and disrupt your jungling you should try and disrupt their lanes. Look for low health champs instead of watching yourself punch creeps. Grab a buff or two, move behind enemy positions, ping your teamates, murder an unsuspecting enemy. Consant potential ganking is the other reason to have a jungler on your team. I know people are like "2 solo lanes! More XP for team!" thats great and all but, 2 solos is a dubious advantage if one of them is getting pushed around. Without gank support you're hurting your team by jungling. Its also important to consider this in your skill order. Nunu, for example, jungles best with Consume and Blood Boil. However, if you max these skills exclusively you're not going to be able to gank because you lack Ice Ball. Find the balance.

Finally, safety. Consider your safety at all times. Players often make the mistake of assuming that the jungle is a safe zone merely because enemy champions generally lane. Watch for enemy junglers during the loading screen (the smite/rally that tags you also tags them). Also, watch for stealth characters. A Twitch or Eve can easily gank a lvl 1 jungler simply by waiting until creeps have done most of the work. Needless to say, an early gank can shut down your jungling (not mention it gives them a free buff). A jungling Fiddlesticks almost always starts at Golem and an intelligent player will know this. So, if you're a jungling Fiddlesticks and you see your opponent is playing Twitch, consider going to the Golem on your opponents' side of the river where they are less likely to look for you. Also, the more you gank the more your enemy is going to lust for your blood, always watch your minimap for potential murderers heading your way.

Anyway, turned out a little longer than I expected but there are some general jungling tips. I'll edit if I hear good suggestions or think of anything else.

Nivled

12-06-2009

Got a noobish question. When you take out jungle creeps, does the skull logo disappear on your opponent's minimap?

Rudeboymike

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivled View Post
Got a noobish question. When you take out jungle creeps, does the skull logo disappear on your opponent's minimap?
No, not until they visit the area themselves.

I8C SRS FACE

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboymike View Post
No, not until they visit the area themselves.
Not even. It only disappears if you kill all the creeps in the camp. It'll sit there as a skull even if you visit the area and there's no creep.

Basically to jungle, start with Smite and Rally, buy a cloth armor and a bunch of HP potions, and then decide if your character relies more on dealing damage with auto-attacks or spamming an ability. If it's the former, start with Lizard. If it's the latter, start with Golem. First item you're going to want to buy is a Madred's Razor.

That's really about all there is to it. There's modifications for each individual character who's good at jungling, but that's the gist of it.