Riven in competitive play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anglory

12-25-2012

Hello, I have heard that Riven is getting nerfed soon. I have also seen good Rivens tear through enemy teams while carrying their own teams. I am not insinuating in anyway that she is broken or bad, but I do know she is an excellent bruiser for top.

The only problem I have is: why don't pro teams play her a lot in progames? I know she is picked sometimes, but quite rarely. The tops I see the most in the past 3 months are Olaf, Vladimir, Rumble, Shen, Jax, and a few others, but not Riven a lot.

May I know what the reason is? I tried to do my research, but none of my hypotheses explain her results in non-competitive play.

1) CC shuts her down.
Anything that cuts her mobility stops her.

2) Riven is an AD-spellcaster for the most part.
This group of champions gets countered once armor starts to come into play (no BC jokes please), such as Talon and Zed.

I really want to know why Riven is seen less than she should be in professional games; her counterpart in normal and even high ELO games reflects a very dominant top laner right now.

Thanks!

deirin

12-25-2012

well...riven is good dps but kinda squishy squish...

the way i see it is like...ok she burst ....bam...then become more or less useful for 10 sec...unless shes fed...then she got like 400 dmg and like is a danger zone...

ur 2) is not relevent if she can kill or do good dmg on adc
ur 1) is more or less relevent...most of the time she wont even reach adc...

Snipawolfe

12-25-2012

Because the people who would play a damaging champion that dives in and destroys the carry play Jax instead of Riven. Jax's laning is safer than Riven's, especially now that she's being nerfed. Jax also never loses duels past six unless his opponent is EXTREMELY fed compared to him.

Anglory

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipawolfe View Post
Because the people who would play a damaging champion that dives in and destroys the carry play Jax instead of Riven. Jax's laning is safer than Riven's, especially now that she's being nerfed. Jax also never loses duels past six unless his opponent is EXTREMELY fed compared to him.
Thanks, I do see how Jax is a better champion overall!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-25-2012

Quote:
This is mostly true. The only time I prefer Riven to Jax right now is if I'm going against Darius.

Coolh4x0r

12-25-2012

Quote:
yeah riven just doesn't offer enough dps, is too squishy, and needs cdr in order for effective use. by comparison xin zhao can nonstop harass riven with his eq combo, and jax can just jump u all the time. btw, jax doesn't own xin late game. black cleaver + randuin's active + youmu's active + ewqrewq combo = dead jax unless he's got like 7 k hp.

Snipawolfe

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruikaitang View Post
btw, jax doesn't own xin late game. black cleaver + randuin's active + youmu's active + ewqrewq combo = dead jax unless he's got like 7 k hp.
That's 8800 total gold. Assuming equivalent gold, I'd build Jax with a Warden's Mail (1100), Vamp Scepter (800), Trinity (4200), and a Nashor's tooth (2500). If you activated Randuin's and Youmuu's at the same time, the Jax would just counterstrike and avoid the bonuses you gave to yourself. I really don't know who'd win there though.

Sheldon Parsons

Recruiter

12-26-2012

Jax win obly

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-26-2012

First off, given equivalent gold, almost no one beats Jax. He'd have a Hextech Revolver though, not a Warden's Mail (and that's still 100 gold less than Xin, and odds are pretty good that Jax actually would have MORE gold than Xin).

But the thing is, you're not going to 1v1 KILL Jax with Xin. You're just not. You don't have enough CC. You have a slow and a knock up.

So just look...

For starters, you're claiming Jax will be dead at the end of this Xin combo: EWQREWQ. Okay... hang on.

1) Jax's E dodges your W and Q--while they are abilities, they modify your auto-attacks, and Jax's E dodges all auto-attacks. If you continue to burn through your combo, the minimum time between your Q's is going to be 5 seconds. In this time, Jax will have hit you with his W 3-4 times. This isn't counting damage from his Q, his E, his R passive, or his auto-attacks which are coming extremely fast. His W alone, with the Sheen proc, those 3 Ws? That's about 1000 damage right there.

But anyways, here's the thing... even if Jax looks like he's going to lose to a Xin Zhao, as I said, you don't have enough hard CC. A good Jax just plops down a ward on the other side of a wall and Leap Strikes to it. A better Jax did this AFTER he stunned you with his E.