Players who are too into League.

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

Member

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerality View Post
glad you asked. "Meta is a word that refers to the philosophical level above the subject itself. The "metagame" is pretty much "the game of playing the game." It's a collection of strategies that are accepted as strong ways of playing the game.

The game itself is simply "destroy the nexus," and any way you can accomplish that will win you the game. The metagame is "what is the best way to destroy the nexus," and if the answer to that can be found, then theoretically, you can never be beaten by an alternate strategy." -KruxisV

Which again is an unofficial rule made by the player base community. I'll throw this example out

Quickscoping (I know but ehh something everyone knows right?) an FPS term using Snipers only for when you hold the aim button down half a second into your scope before killing/shooting someone. Its a meta on lots of FPS's and such, its not a real game mode or game type. Hold down the aim too long and you're "hard scoping" and all these other rules which falls behind it. It's an unofficial rule again made by players.

Again its not bad but seeing it too much, is like watching the same episode of your favorite show everyday. You eventually get bored and tired of it. And to add note, the players forces you to keep to a certain term so you're falling under peer pressure. Making you not enjoying the match you're into unless you get what you want.
You're looking at it completely incorrectly. Quickscoping and hardscoping aren't strategies that give you the most out of the resources in the game. They're tags that people have associated with ways of playing to tell themselves the enemy is just doing something dumb and there's no way they can get better.

The meta, on the other hand, is a strategy put together outside the game that takes the fullest advantage of the resources on the map.

I'll break it down quickly for you. In League, there are 4 income spots. 3 lanes, and the jungle. But there are 5 players. So this means one of your players has to make do with little gold - he's your support hero. Support heroes need to be able to do well without gold. Taric, for example, gives great bonuses and a nice stun regardless of whether you give him farm.

So you have 4 income sources and 4 players left. That's great. Now you think, what's left? Well, we have top, middle, and bottom, plus the jungle. What does the team need to do? There are two types of damage - physical and magical. So you have two heroes that focus on these - the AD and the AP carries.

So now you have the 2 carries, and you need to assign them a lane. Often, the AP carry scales off levels, so you want him to have a solo lane. Middle lane is the shortest, and thus the safest - so you send the AP carry middle, and let him solo. The AD carry doesn't scale as much with levels, so you send him to a lane with the support, so he can survive.

Now, you have top and bottom lanes - bottom lane is closer to the action (dragon) most often, so you send the AD carry and the support bottom lane, to have more presence.

Now you have two income sources left. You want a jungler who can gank well and sustain in the jungle easily. That's one down. Solo top is generally given to a tanky hero that can do well with farm and solo experience. This is just sort of a filler role, and can be done by anyone depending on the team's needs. But you normally want a tankier hero here because you need to be able to get away when they gank you, as you're a solo hero in a longer lane.

The meta isn't the meta because some guy was like "**** this, I'm 2.9k Elo, let's make everyone do X". The meta is the meta because it is the optimal way to play the game. There's a reason you don't see 2 top in higher level games. You're splitting experience and farm 2 ways. Yes, you may be able to shove down an enemy top laner if they're not experienced, but an experienced player will know how to handle a 2v1, and will be able to call their jungler and clean up kills on you, or farm the lane at his turret. He'll be more useful than you because you're wasting a full income source from the jungle.

Yes, breaking the meta can be done with great success. But overall, the meta is the meta for a reason, and you shouldn't go around breaking the meta unless your team is on board with it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am Icarus

Senior Member

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
You're looking at it completely incorrectly. Quickscoping and hardscoping aren't strategies that give you the most out of the resources in the game. They're tags that people have associated with ways of playing to tell themselves the enemy is just doing something dumb and there's no way they can get better.

The meta, on the other hand, is a strategy put together outside the game that takes the fullest advantage of the resources on the map.

I'll break it down quickly for you. In League, there are 4 income spots. 3 lanes, and the jungle. But there are 5 players. So this means one of your players has to make do with little gold - he's your support hero. Support heroes need to be able to do well without gold. Taric, for example, gives great bonuses and a nice stun regardless of whether you give him farm.

So you have 4 income sources and 4 players left. That's great. Now you think, what's left? Well, we have top, middle, and bottom, plus the jungle. What does the team need to do? There are two types of damage - physical and magical. So you have two heroes that focus on these - the AD and the AP carries.

So now you have the 2 carries, and you need to assign them a lane. Often, the AP carry scales off levels, so you want him to have a solo lane. Middle lane is the shortest, and thus the safest - so you send the AP carry middle, and let him solo. The AD carry doesn't scale as much with levels, so you send him to a lane with the support, so he can survive.

Now, you have top and bottom lanes - bottom lane is closer to the action (dragon) most often, so you send the AD carry and the support bottom lane, to have more presence.

Now you have two income sources left. You want a jungler who can gank well and sustain in the jungle easily. That's one down. Solo top is generally given to a tanky hero that can do well with farm and solo experience. This is just sort of a filler role, and can be done by anyone depending on the team's needs. But you normally want a tankier hero here because you need to be able to get away when they gank you, as you're a solo hero in a longer lane.

The meta isn't the meta because some guy was like "**** this, I'm 2.9k Elo, let's make everyone do X". The meta is the meta because it is the optimal way to play the game. There's a reason you don't see 2 top in higher level games. You're splitting experience and farm 2 ways. Yes, you may be able to shove down an enemy top laner if they're not experienced, but an experienced player will know how to handle a 2v1, and will be able to call their jungler and clean up kills on you, or farm the lane at his turret. He'll be more useful than you because you're wasting a full income source from the jungle.

Yes, breaking the meta can be done with great success. But overall, the meta is the meta for a reason, and you shouldn't go around breaking the meta unless your team is on board with it.

hence I'm not against the meta, I've seen high ELO players having even again, 2 jungles. Why, because they are precise, they are all tome to mind, they understand how one are. But remember this, on a Solo Q, you're solo. Weather, can you trust this person with your life, to get someone. Can you rely on a person, to carry everyone to victory, do you have the proper communication skill wise to be all tome together.

You have to be a team and know each other for a meta to work, you have risk to trust strangers even with high ELO for that to prevail.

Eating 3 meals a day, you do it why? because it works, eat 2 meals a day does the same


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

Member

12-24-2012

I'm not entirely sure your first sentence was English.

Also, I like that I got a downvote within like 15 seconds of posting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cackmuffin

Junior Member

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerality View Post
It's always the keep to mind type of things that not everyone think the same, not everyone plays the same and really confusing things happens time to time.
I uh.... lost you there


But either way, i suppose the point of this game isn't to see "whos the better top" rather a game about adaptation. What i mean is that instead of exclusively using that champion solo top, use him to fit in somewhere else (for example, double bruiser bot is pretty strong). By this method, you will get good with the champ, and can transfer those skills to top lane when you get the chance


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am Icarus

Senior Member

12-24-2012

All in all, this thread is to let others know that there are lots of tactics out there to explore, heck I carried AD malzahar and won a match, strange as is I want to let people know that Meta gaming isnt the only ways to go and I would adore to see peoples unique gameplay on live streams, uploads or just down right telling their story on how it feels to do something outside the box.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

Member

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerality View Post
All in all, this thread is to let others know that there are lots of tactics out there to explore, heck I carried AD malzahar and won a match, strange as is I want to let people know that Meta gaming isnt the only ways to go and I would adore to see peoples unique gameplay on live streams, uploads or just down right telling their story on how it feels to do something outside the box.
You're playing against bad players, then. Once you start playing against strong players at higher levels, you won't be able to stray as far outside the meta, simply because the meta is the best way to play.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am Icarus

Senior Member

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
You're playing against bad players, then. Once you start playing against strong players at higher levels, you won't be able to stray as far outside the meta, simply because the meta is the best way to play.
It happens a lot, the meta stays a while yes then once a change happen (like S3's new item set and such) the meta can then differ on strategy


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

Member

12-24-2012

The overall strategy of 2 bot/1 mid/1 top + jungle isn't going to change, most like, and the item changes are only going to change the items heroes build. It's not going to change whether Malzahar is an AP or an AD carry.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am Icarus

Senior Member

12-24-2012

Not speaking only on 1 champion, I mean the gameplay variant. MOBA like gaming is unique in its own, and fully absorbing what you have for champs, runes, items, and tactics makes a difference. But most champions and items has labels to now combine each other, if you do not have (this item) you are consider a weaker link even if you're doing well pushing, assisting and getting fed


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

Member

12-24-2012

Yes, because there's generally a better way to play. You could be pushing better, assisting better, and getting more fed with the better build.

I CAN go AD TF. But I don't, because AP TF is better.


123