Swain Item Build help plz

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrDev4st4tion

12-19-2012

Hi there guys,

I've just bought swain (cause he rox my sox =P) but I want to build 7 items in a 6 item build which I am totally confused on which item to give up on. So far my main 3 items that are set are boots, RoA and Deathcap.

The trouble is I see 4 items after that that would make swain uber.
First Liandry's Torment, coupled with swains slow does heaps of dmg especially tanks.
Second Will of the Ancients, great spellvamp + ult is op.
Third Zhonya's Hourglass, stasis for 2 secs while u heal in ult form too pro.
Fourth Athene's Unholy Grail, mana regen means ult will last all throughout team fights.

What do I drop out of these uber items? Or is there any tips with regard to Swain that may clear up my confusion?

TYVM in advance guys =)

MrDev4st4tion

12-19-2012

Come on, 3 hrs and 128 views and no response? Someone has got to main Swain surely, any advice will do.

Oppress0r

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

You should decide whether you need more survivability or more damage and go with either Liandry or WotA not both. I don't find either to be a must. Liandry is the better item in general though.

MrDev4st4tion

12-19-2012

ty duly noted

Judas Priest

Talashe

12-20-2012

Usually people rush a RoA or at the very least they build an early catalyst for more sustain and it the tankiness accompanied with his ult makes him difficult to focus in team fights.

superpenguinx

12-20-2012

i've done a lot of testing with Swain lately.. it took me a while to work out the build too

always dorans (x1 or2) depending on how much the early lane matchup is making you spam spells

Sorc boot ... land a few W->E->Q combo's
Catalyst -> RoA .. start tearing it up with R
Deathcap
Banshees !

After the first 3 items, you already have _lots_ of damage.. what you want is more defense and mana sustain (which translates to damage per minute).

Banshee's has synergy with RoA, which is a core item on swain.. because base health and mana are key to a battle mage / tanky mage build.

Rod of ages gives +450 health, +450 mana at base stats
Banshee's gives +300 health, +300 mana..
Total +750, +750 (base stats) . Nice.

Aswell as all that additional base survivability, and damage potential.. you gain two other awesome survivability benefits from Banshee's

45 MR - There is a very high chance you'll be taking MR damage in the fight, this will help significantly

Spell shield - This thing is subtle, it'll just work and you won't really even realize how much it's helping you.. until of course a Karth Ult's and you laugh. Great cool down on it.

Basically once you have Banshee's on top of this build, there's a really good chance that you'll lay the smack down on everyone.

Casters will come up to you, lay down their full burst combo and between your health, MR, shield, you will laugh.. seconds later your R will have topped you up and likely draining everyone around you.

AD and tanks will be slightly more of a threat, depending on how your game has gone.. but most likely will feel the fury of your combo and perish to your hungry crows

Judas Priest

12-21-2012

I lack survivability on Swain early game. I don't know if I'm being too agressive, but I'm getting owned early in the game. After I farm a little and reach aroung 150 minions, I start being a threat. I'm thinking about rushing for RotA and then start by buying more defensive items, like Zhonya's Hourglass and Abyssal Scepter, and in the mid/late game go for a Rabadon's and Void Staff... what do you think?

MrDev4st4tion

12-28-2012

TY for the response guys, i have tried out and tested a lot of what was written. Kudos to Superpenguinx, by replacing hourglass with banshee's i survive a hell of a lot more and am as tanky as hell. From the exhaustive testing i have done on Swain i have changed the build quite a bit, as follows:
1) ROA
2) Boots (Merc/Sorcerer's)
3) Deathcap
4) Deathfire
5) Banshee's
6) Athene's Unholy Grail

Reasons, Deathfire trumps Liandry's on Swain because of the active stacking with torment, Banshee's makes WotA muut a bit. All in all i like this build the best but i'm sure others have different playstyles. Thx again for all ur help pplz