Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stwarlord

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
well, we are removing flash
Don't tease me, bro

seriously i've been looking forward to this for a long time, having every character be able to flash over my wall as anivia because they can just get it is annoying.

Starr

10-23-2010

Quote:
You can bait out an early shield for one thing, and that's fun... If its blocking suppression ults, that's a bit of an issue... will investigate if so.
It does, unless the last patch fixed it. (I don't think it did)

Phreak

Shoutcaster

10-23-2010
108 of 282 Riot Posts

Zileas:

Will the Slippers of Majesty look like the real ones on your desk? Please say yes.

Herkucheeze

10-23-2010

Does anyone else think that moving flash onto boots will move this game's focus more towards cc?

Seems to me, if less champs are getting Merc Treads in favor of flash boots, cleanse will come back in to relevance, making suppression that much more viable!

This must all be a master plan to finally make Malzahar good...

Orimoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2010

Hey Zileas -- I think I have another anti-pattern for you.

False Choice -- Illusion of Choice

This is the case where the player appears to be given more choice than they are actually balanced around having.

Consider, again, World of Warcraft. In a competitive PvP envrionement, if you are playing a caster, you are going to take damage -- and if you take damage, you suffer from spell pushback. But at the same time most (all?) of the spellcasting classes had talents in one or more of their talent trees that allowed them to ignore the spell pushback 70% of the time.

Fast foward to present day WoW, and you'll notice that with the new talent trees, something all the caster specs have in common is that same 70% pushback resistance. That one ability had become so essential to caster PvP that is was no longer optional.

Similarly, various classes had various talents that reduced the duration of the various crowd control effects; it became assumed that the classes had them, when applicable, which eventually resulted in the talents being removed, and the CC reduction being applied globally to the various CC abilities themselves.

I would even go so far as to say that LoL has its own version of this. Every character has 6 item slots, but except for the newest of players, it is assumed that *one* of those slots will be reserved for a set of boots. The advantages of an increased movement speed are just *that* good. In LoL's defense, the upgraded boots do serve a unique niche -- they provide unique or otherwise hard-to-obtain effects (%dodge, %CC duration reduction, penetration).
But I'd contest that this is still Illusion of Choice -- take 30 speed off the minions, remove all boots from the shop, and you'd get the same game.

The redeeming factor in LoL's implementation though is the fact that even if you know you're going to finish the game with a set of move 2 boots, you get the strategic choice of deciding *when* to buy them. You can buy them at the start of the match and enjoy easy escapes and positioning, or you can only buy them as necessary, to keep up in the "boots race" as it were.

So is an Illusion of Choice also a design anti-pattern or does this simply combine the "False Choice -- Deceptive Wrong Choice" and "Burden of Knowledge"?

Leib Olmai

10-23-2010

Yeah, I really wonder what the boots will looks like.. meh.

Dunkelzahn

10-23-2010

I dunno if you answered this in a post earlier, but I figured I'd ask since it pertains to my favorite hero, Poppy.

More specifically, AP Poppy. It doesn't seem to be a very popular build (although a fair amount of forum goers know if it), but when I use it in a game and bring their carry or other important person from 100 to 0 without the enemy team being able to do anything about it, is that a flaw in design? I love AP Poppy, but I can imagine how irritating it is to be on the other side of that, having this pigtailed maniac come after you at a hundred miles per hour knowing if that she catches up to you you're probably dead.

What do you make of AP Poppy, and do you (hopefully not) have any plans in store for my favorite pigtailed yordle?

Reep

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
I dunno if you answered this in a post earlier, but I figured I'd ask since it pertains to my favorite hero, Poppy.

More specifically, AP Poppy. It doesn't seem to be a very popular build (although a fair amount of forum goers know if it), but when I use it in a game and bring their carry or other important person from 100 to 0 without the enemy team being able to do anything about it, is that a flaw in design? I love AP Poppy, but I can imagine how irritating it is to be on the other side of that, having this pigtailed maniac come after you at a hundred miles per hour knowing if that she catches up to you you're probably dead.

What do you make of AP Poppy, and do you (hopefully not) have any plans in store for my favorite pigtailed yordle?
Pigtail fetish.

Thomphoolery

10-23-2010

Quote:
well, we are removing flash
Oh man.

It's things like this that makes me cringe at your balance team.

Pinith

10-23-2010

Quote:
I hate early game RNG, which is why we are adding psuedorandom.

the only value they add is that you occasionally get random positive outcomes in your favor that feel memorable, but I dont think they overall add enough.
By pseudorandom, do you mean the a deterministic proc like Yi's double strike or a non-memoryless random?