Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BJSV

12-09-2010

And one more champ with slow...

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-09-2010
201 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friei View Post
Poppy with DFG can. You die in about a second with virtually no counter play or understanding of how she murdered you. She doesn't even need significant farm.
I've never seen it. 1.4 x 30% of current health + 3.5% per 100 AP

if you have 500 AP on Poppy, which is a stretch, and void staff and sorc boots, which is a stretch, and they don't have much MR...

suppose their effective MR is 0

that is then:
42% of current HP + 17.5% bonus = 59.5% of HP

in an extreme situation. that's not an instant gib. That's a highly farmed ult hit in ideal situations, which almost never happens.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-09-2010
202 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenesse View Post
>release a champion that stuns only if enemies are facing her

Hmm?
This one works just fine when you get reduced effect in the non-ideal scenario.

Equilibrium strike gives a strong slow OR a stun. CassiOPeia ult does the same, and it feels fine. You get similar characteristics in both cases.

Ultimately, all of this stuff is rooted in making game mechanics feel satisfying, while not making other people feel especially unsatisfied. These abilities do not fail that fundamental test, which is more important than any specific anti-pattern.

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

12-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post

if you have 500 AP on Poppy, which is a stretch, and void staff and sorc boots, which is a stretch, and they don't have much MR...

that is then:

in an extreme situation. that's not an instant gib. That's a highly farmed ult hit in ideal situations, which almost never happens.
You also have to assume Lich Bane is one of the items involved in this calculation, to give her at least [AP] more Bonus damage.

BJSV

12-09-2010

Slow is anti-fun.

Arixa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-09-2010

Quote:

that is then:

Oh I was refering to the whole combo of R, DFG, E, Q. It doesn't really take anymore time. I'm going to admit I don't know exactly what terroblade does but you used the word combo in the phrase so I assumed it was more than just 1 ability.

Lord Oliveira

12-09-2010

@Zileas

Answer the question:

What is being done to provide fresh new kits for new heros?

All I see on every champion since Akali till now, with the minute exception of Swain, LeBlanc, and Xin Zhao, is AN AOE SLOW.

Like 9 of the last 12 champs have a generic AoE slow; Akali, Vlad, MF, Kog, Olaf, Galio, Trundle, Lux, and now Cassiopeia, I mean is this really THE BEST you can do with champ design?

It seems like you guys ran out of useful ideas 5 heros ago and now its just taking old skills and re-releasing them under a different graphic and name.

So tell me Zileas where is the addition to your list of anti-patterns the following:

"Lack of creativity"

This anti-pattern is when the designers cannot design inspiring or even original or unique abilities and rehash the same skills over and over and over and over and over.

It needs to be there. Just looking at Cassiopeia I can see she has the generic useless AoE slow Miasma basically a skill that is EXACTLY Make it Rain from MF, her ulti is a super buffed Mocking Shout from Tryndamere only with a cone AoE instead of a player-center AoE (half points for adding stun and turning it into a cone I guess). Other than that she has Annie's cone nuke only this one gives you a speed burst (Still not original) and her Twin Fang is just a generic pure damage nuke with a little take on like Anivia's Frostbite.

Tricolor

12-09-2010

Quote:

that is then:

ok... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfBc-kbHzOM

Politburo

12-09-2010

Quote:
CassiOPeia
you did this yourself :O

what is Riot coming to??!?!!?

Syran7

12-09-2010

Quote:

that is then:

You have to factor that every DFG Poppy gets Lichbane. Also take into consideration the % values on her Devastating blow, and that the AP achieved through DFG and Lichbane would continue to stack the odds in this 3 hit combo. *Ulti, DFG, Devastating blow*