Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azeros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-08-2010

BLINK MONK BLIND MONK DO IT pleaseeeeeeeee

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-08-2010
181 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph1 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I agree that Ethereal Chains helps with helping allies / yourself get away from champions that chase. After playing many games with her I realize that a lot of it has to do with mindgames when it comes to laning and team battles.

From a design perspective, teams should not look to LeBlanc for heavy AP / magical damage correct? She is more suited in the offensive utility / disabler role?

Thanks again for your time sir.
I prefer going heavy AP actually, but using the E to supplement team support. You can use it from pretty far away...

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I prefer going heavy AP actually, but using the E to supplement team support. You can use it from pretty far away...
Thank you Zileas. Yes the range is great on her E... it would be cool if the mimic'd version had something more special to offer though... I will try an AP heavy build and see if she is more viable towards end game.

Sorry to derail a bit. The conversation is very appreciated.

TiberiusAudley

Adjudicator

12-08-2010

Quote:
False Choice -- Ineffective Choice
Similar to above, except when you give what appears to be an interesting choice that is then completely unrewarding, or ineffective at the promised action. An older version of Swain's lazer bird had this failing... Because the slow was so large, you could never run away in time to de-leash and break the spell and reduce damage, and in cases you did, you'd just dodge 20% of the damage at a big cost of movement and DPS -- so running was just an ineffective choice.
Not really sure if this qualifies, but... Let's say you have an opponent standing directly up against a wall (or in melee range of a tower) who is dealing heavy damage to someone within their range (or destroying the tower).

You are Alistar. The enemy is in headbutt range. The obvious choice in this situation is to headbutt the opponent.

However, because of either a bug or intentional design, Alistar will lunge to the wall, triggering headbutt to go on cooldown, dealing zero damage, and doing nothing to knock back the opponent.

Would this qualify as a "Deceptive Choice"? Because I cannot think of a better time to use Headbutt than to knock someone out of attacking range when they're standing within my range, but as long as they are hugging a wall, my Headbutt is unable to be used. If they are standing an Alistar length away from the wall, I will simply lunge through the wall and headbutt them.

BJSV

12-08-2010

Zileas pls answer my question in my last post. I edited it.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...93417&page=106

Zalvor

12-08-2010

Hey Zileas, how about a vampire slayer champion? Or monster hunter?

SamuraiPanda

12-08-2010

Your post on changing Parrrley is quite distressing. Ever since you guys have made it undodgeable, it hasn't been an RNG-based skill unless you specifically build for that. There are so many misconceptions about Gangplank, and very few people understand why he's fun to play (no I don't play him for the lol-tastic crits when you're stacked), so I seriously hope whoever works on GP reaches out to the people who know him best.

I'm definitely behind un-RNGing his ultimate though. Functionally it works fantastic in his kit... when it does what it was supposed to do.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-08-2010
182 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiPanda View Post
Your post on changing Parrrley is quite distressing. Ever since you guys have made it undodgeable, it hasn't been an RNG-based skill unless you specifically build for that.
Which is the most common way to build him...

Quote:
There are so many misconceptions about Gangplank, and very few people understand why he's fun to play (no I don't play him for the lol-tastic crits when you're stacked), so I seriously hope whoever works on GP reaches out to the people who know him best.
Champions normally have a few stats -- attack, defense, spells, difficulty. there is a 5th category -- d ouchery... Gangplank get a 10. He's so incredibly frustrating to play against, between the deny, the potential for getting screwed on a lucky string on the ult, crits on Q, etc.

Quote:
I'm definitely behind un-RNGing his ultimate though. Functionally it works fantastic in his kit... when it does what it was supposed to do.
Yes... that's true!

Xtchizobr

12-08-2010

Quote:
So why are you playing LoL and not another game ;p
good question.

Quote:
i think i just find LoL irresistible because you personally like BG1&2

god knows i rage so hard about Mordekaiser and poor, useless-late-game LeBlanc

Hearteater

12-08-2010

Quote:
so if we make a caster, we want other casters to all have pros and cons next to them, we don't want a situation where other characters are strictly better or strictly worse. I think a good example of this is LeBlanc. She has some very unique capabilities that other casters don't have, but some really strong drawbacks too. Annie is a stronger character, but there are situations and team comps where LeBlanc is better.
I'd compare LeBlanc to Kass (and I do in the below linked feedback) and she is basically weaker than him. Yes she has higher potential burst, but she can't bring it to bear realistically. Force Pulse is easier to land, shorter CD in team fights, AoE, and better snare than Chains. Q for Q, Kass wins again with instantly applied silence. And when it comes to passive, -15% ability damage beats the image easily. I think given even the most amazing LeBlanc player, they will do better with Kassadin.

See feedback: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=358874