The Rules of the Lane Control Phase

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Euphemie

11-27-2009

Introduction
--------------
Since this game works on the premise of lane pushing like DOTA, there are a few things that carry over that needs to be addressed that people that did not play DOTA or did not have friends to explain the basics to. This guide is to further advance the typical beginner playing to understand why people are asking them to stop attacking.

Quick Glossary of the Lane Control Phase
-----------------------------------------------
BOT = Bottom Lane or the south most lane
MID = Middle lane or the center most lane
TOP = Top lane or the northern lane
MIA = Missing in Action
OMW = On My Way
Gank = Group kill squad
INC = Incoming
Ult = Ultimate skill or the R key
CC = Crowd Control includes Stun, knock down, knock up, sleep, and etc
Nuke = single attack high damage skill
Ping = Harrass hero with ranged
Creeps = Monsters that spawn in the lane, both teams have creeps that march down the lane.
CARE = Watch out or Becareful

Rules of the Lane Control Phase (i'm trying to prevent myself from using Laning)
--------------------------------------------
1. Early Game
- Call out to the team who you are in the Lane with on the enemy side. This gives your team mates an idea who they will be fighting and if you need to switch lanes in order to counter that champ.
- Try to block the creeps as they are marching up the lane. You can try to do it but it is hard. If you can delay or split the group the better. You want to fight at your tower.
- Stay away from the grass because enemies could be setting up an early game gank on you while you're last hitting creeps.

2. Why you don't Auto Attack
- The reason why you do not auto attack during the LCP is that you do not want to be fighting at the enemy tower. Fighting at the enemy tower exposes you on all sides, the grass, the front, and the back, which makes you very easy pray to a gank. People argue that it will help you push the tower down, but if you're fighting a good group of players, they have already planned to gank you at their tower.
- Fighting at your tower protects you from ganks and gives you the ability to gank the enemy that is now at your tower. You can coordinate with your team mates and gank them at your tower. If they over extend into the tower's range and attack you, they will be targeted by the tower. This is especially important during the early parts of the LCP

3. Only Last Hit Creeps
- In order to gain money in the LCP, you will need to last hit the creeps. That means, you have to cause the deathblow on the creep in order to get money. This takes time to master but once you learn it, you will be gaining money 2x faster than auto attacking.
- Last hit guarentees that you will get money

4. You Don't Need to Attack the Creeps for XP
- LoL has designed it so that you do not have to attack the creep in order to get xp from the creep. As long as you are about 4-5 creep lengths away from the action, you will get XP. This is very helpful for Melee DPS and tanks because in the early game, it's hard to level Melee DPS due to their lack of range and ability to last hit with out fear of being ping'd by the enemy.
- Your goal is to level up as fast as possible and to harrass the enemy as much as possible.

5. Harassing the Enemy
- Your job is to prevent the enemy from leveling. The only way you can do this is to ping them with your ranged attacks. if you dont' have any ranged attacks, you'll need to melee them and run. Pushing the enemy back or causing them to port back to heal will give you an edge in leveling. The first to level 6 will be the ones that will get the first kill. Delaying the enemies leveling benefits the whole team by having them stay at a lower level due to harrasment.

6. Call MIA and Incomings
- Calling MIA and Incomings is very important while controlling a lane. If you noticed that the enemy is no longer in your lane, call MIA to the rest of the team so that they are aware that someone might be sneaking up on them or joining the push in their lane.
- Recieving MIA and Incomings helps you out by allowing you time to fall back to the tower or base or get ready to fight them off. Information is important and the more you have, the better you will be.
- Example of MIA and Incomings.
MIA BOT RYZE = Ryze is missing from the bottom lane
INC TOP 3 = 3 enemies are heading to the top lane
CARE TOP MIA = Becareful, Top is missing

I will add more but I believe this gives a good explaination of the rules when it comes to the Lane Control Phase. A lot of people will disagree with me on some of these rules, but I believe you cannot get worse with these simple steps in being a better player.

doomenstein

11-27-2009

Relative tower distance is a matter of opinion. Depending on your champ, you want the creep wave at different positions relative to your tower or the opponent's tower. Fighting at an opponent's tower makes last hitting and earning gold more difficult for them, but they are safer from ganks. Same goes for you fighting at your own tower. If your tower is hitting creeps, chances are you aren't last hitting as well or often as you could be otherwise.

Creepblocking is largely ineffective compared to DotA. I don't know about you, but the most I've been able to do is divert my creeps to walk around the final tower, instead of a straight line, delaying them by one, maybe 2 seconds. I don't think it's effective in LoL, and I don't think there's any reason to include it in a LoL guide.

I don't like your third example of chat warnings. To me, Care Top Mia implies two different things: Care Top and Top Mia. You don't know if a gank is likely coming to top or from top. I would simply say Top Mia. Also, talk about pinging the map (if top is mia, and ganking mid possible, ping from top lane to mid lane in the river). Pinging can be faster, more concise, and overall better than using chat some of the time.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemie View Post
Introduction
--------------
Since this game works on the premise of lane pushing like DOTA, there are a few things that carry over that needs to be addressed that people that did not play DOTA or did not have friends to explain the basics to. This guide is to further advance the typical beginner playing to understand why people are asking them to stop attacking.

Quick Glossary of the Lane Control Phase
-----------------------------------------------
BOT = Bottom Lane or the south most lane
MID = Middle lane or the center most lane
TOP = Top lane or the northern lane
MIA = Missing in Action
OMW = On My Way
Gank = Group kill squad
INC = Incoming
Ult = Ultimate skill or the R key
CC = Crowd Control includes Stun, knock down, knock up, sleep, and etc
Nuke = single attack high damage skill
Ping = Harrass hero with ranged
Creeps = Monsters that spawn in the lane, both teams have creeps that march down the lane.
CARE = Watch out or Becareful

Rules of the Lane Control Phase (i'm trying to prevent myself from using Laning)
--------------------------------------------
1. Early Game
- Call out to the team who you are in the Lane with on the enemy side. This gives your team mates an idea who they will be fighting and if you need to switch lanes in order to counter that champ.
- Try to block the creeps as they are marching up the lane. You can try to do it but it is hard. If you can delay or split the group the better. You want to fight at your tower.
- Stay away from the grass because enemies could be setting up an early game gank on you while you're last hitting creeps.

2. Why you don't Auto Attack
- The reason why you do not auto attack during the LCP is that you do not want to be fighting at the enemy tower. Fighting at the enemy tower exposes you on all sides, the grass, the front, and the back, which makes you very easy pray to a gank. People argue that it will help you push the tower down, but if you're fighting a good group of players, they have already planned to gank you at their tower.
- Fighting at your tower protects you from ganks and gives you the ability to gank the enemy that is now at your tower. You can coordinate with your team mates and gank them at your tower. If they over extend into the tower's range and attack you, they will be targeted by the tower. This is especially important during the early parts of the LCP

3. Only Last Hit Creeps
- In order to gain money in the LCP, you will need to last hit the creeps. That means, you have to cause the deathblow on the creep in order to get money. This takes time to master but once you learn it, you will be gaining money 2x faster than auto attacking.
- Last hit guarentees that you will get money

4. You Don't Need to Attack the Creeps for XP
- LoL has designed it so that you do not have to attack the creep in order to get xp from the creep. As long as you are about 4-5 creep lengths away from the action, you will get XP. This is very helpful for Melee DPS and tanks because in the early game, it's hard to level Melee DPS due to their lack of range and ability to last hit with out fear of being ping'd by the enemy.
- Your goal is to level up as fast as possible and to harrass the enemy as much as possible.

5. Harassing the Enemy
- Your job is to prevent the enemy from leveling. The only way you can do this is to ping them with your ranged attacks. if you dont' have any ranged attacks, you'll need to melee them and run. Pushing the enemy back or causing them to port back to heal will give you an edge in leveling. The first to level 6 will be the ones that will get the first kill. Delaying the enemies leveling benefits the whole team by having them stay at a lower level due to harrasment.

6. Call MIA and Incomings
- Calling MIA and Incomings is very important while controlling a lane. If you noticed that the enemy is no longer in your lane, call MIA to the rest of the team so that they are aware that someone might be sneaking up on them or joining the push in their lane.
- Recieving MIA and Incomings helps you out by allowing you time to fall back to the tower or base or get ready to fight them off. Information is important and the more you have, the better you will be.
- Example of MIA and Incomings.
MIA BOT RYZE = Ryze is missing from the bottom lane
INC TOP 3 = 3 enemies are heading to the top lane
CARE TOP MIA = Becareful, Top is missing

I will add more but I believe this gives a good explaination of the rules when it comes to the Lane Control Phase. A lot of people will disagree with me on some of these rules, but I believe you cannot get worse with these simple steps in being a better player.
This isn't DOTA, autoattack as much as possible, push it all the way to their tower and let it deny your enemy gold by stealing his kills. Last hit every creep, but you should be looking to lower their numbers so that the enemy can't last hit (since he knows you'll drop your nukes on him from creep cover while he has nobody and is being focused by everything). DOTA was built to stifle aggressive play, LOL requires it. Remember, towers do not regen. Inhibitors respawn, champions regen and respawn. Towers just break. If you can, tank creep hits to save your tower from being whittled away. That's why you want all fights to be at their tower, so you can slowly take it away (and therefore open up that side of the board to your team) and prevent them from hurting yours (they are more important for the vision than the dmg), also your turrets can't steal your gold if you're at theirs.

Euphemie

11-27-2009

I'm talking about the lane control phase, which is the VERY BEGINNING until level 6. Once you're level 6 and can defend yourself against ganks, you can do whatever you want, at that point, you don't want to control the lane but you will need to push it.

I know it's not like dota, but playing it like it is dota allows for a more controlled environment. You can always gain money later on and most of the time you don't get money until after level 6 anyways. so there's no point in fighting over creep kills.

There is a huge flaw in your theory since auto attacking causes you to move towards the enemy tower. You are sacrificing the 100 gold you get from last hitting creeps to give them a free kill. often enough the chances that you can even hit the tower is very slim because most of the people that play LoL in the lower tiers are ranged. Hitting the tower once or twice isn't going to do much good when you're getting ping'd by the enemy and you can't hit them back.

Tower pushing comes later on and that's a different topic and strategy. I'm just laying out the ground rules on how not to feed and how to safetly level through the beginning lane control phase.

if you follow my rules, you will not get ganked as often and you will make more money due to last hitting on the next set of creeps that are pushed away from the tower.

Sudai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-27-2009

For a while, I thought last hitting was very good in LoL, but I didn't just auto-attack any creep. I only auto-attacked creeps that my creeps weren't attacking. When one creep that is being attacked by the majority of your creeps get low, stop auto-attacking and last hit that one. Extra damage on creep waves, push to tower faster, down tower faster and prevent the enemy from getting as much gold.

Then I realized an even better way. You have to have a good lane combo to do this effectively, but it's retarded good when done right. It requires that you have someone capable of dishing damage and someone capable of mitigating damage, though. Essentially, you kill off one of your lane opponents or weaken them to the point that you will kill them if you get close enough, then simply work your way between them and their creep wave. It's not simple by any means and you have to be smart about when you do it (obviously not when they have a better lane combo or something), but it's amazing. You're free to last hit at will and you're denying them of gold and EXPERIENCE. The distance between starting towers is significant enough on the outside lanes that it's possible to do this and effectively deny them a large chunk of EXP.

This takes a solid idea of zone control and very good map awareness to pull off, but I feel it definitely displays any skill gap or lane counter to it's fullest during the laning phase.

Maysin

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudai View Post

Essentially, you kill off one of your lane opponents or weaken them to the point that you will kill them if you get close enough, then simply work your way between them and their creep wave. It's not simple by any means and you have to be smart about when you do it (obviously not when they have a better lane combo or something), but it's amazing. You're free to last hit at will and you're denying them of gold and EXPERIENCE. The distance between starting towers is significant enough on the outside lanes that it's possible to do this and effectively deny them a large chunk of EXP.

This takes a solid idea of zone control and very good map awareness to pull off, but I feel it definitely displays any skill gap or lane counter to it's fullest during the laning phase.
A good example would be something akin to Soraka and Rammus laning together. I've played a few games as Soraka and kept the enemy champions away from our minions and their own, forcing them to sit at their tower while only being level 2-3 with little gold while my teammate and I hit lvl 6 and can buy 2 items.

rEv3

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemie View Post
I'm talking about the lane control phase, which is the VERY BEGINNING until level 6. Once you're level 6 and can defend yourself against ganks, you can do whatever you want, at that point, you don't want to control the lane but you will need to push it.

I know it's not like dota, but playing it like it is dota allows for a more controlled environment. You can always gain money later on and most of the time you don't get money until after level 6 anyways. so there's no point in fighting over creep kills.

There is a huge flaw in your theory since auto attacking causes you to move towards the enemy tower. You are sacrificing the 100 gold you get from last hitting creeps to give them a free kill. often enough the chances that you can even hit the tower is very slim because most of the people that play LoL in the lower tiers are ranged. Hitting the tower once or twice isn't going to do much good when you're getting ping'd by the enemy and you can't hit them back.

Tower pushing comes later on and that's a different topic and strategy. I'm just laying out the ground rules on how not to feed and how to safetly level through the beginning lane control phase.

if you follow my rules, you will not get ganked as often and you will make more money due to last hitting on the next set of creeps that are pushed away from the tower.
I think you are mistaken, the VERY BEGINNING of the game starts with the assault phase where you try to get a kill in before the minions spawn (or at the very least make them fear you by coming out of the bushes with more hp and mana then them), then we get into lane control.

As for the losing gold or whatever from not last hitting.. someone else posted exactly the tactic I use.. read Saric's post. I autoattack the ranged minions while last hitting the melee ones and try to defend the territory between their ranged and melee minions (where the catapult would set up if it were there) from them. With proper support (read as not playing defensive... or, as playing defensively but a bit forward) you can keep them away from their own minions and losing out on XP from their melee minion actions. Once you get to the tower, make sure your minions get killed by the tower and take those 1-2 hits of temporary damage to get in 1 hit of permanent damage... when your last minion is killed, you retreat back to wherever the two creep waves hit and do the same thing.

The point of this is to try to always make the enemy fear you. You want them running away, you want them to be hiding in the bushes or by their towers... and if you're by their tower, you want them hiding behind it.

Of course this all depends on having a decent partner to lane with. You can't do this if you can't count on them to assault them as soon as you retreat, that's how you get killed or kills. Basically the idea is to kick the wasp nest until they start stinging you, swat them a bit and run away so that you can get a friend to beat them off of you: as soon as they realize that they are going to die, turn and attack them, even if they were running away they will turn back to try and get you since you'll be next to dead which will let your lanemate finish them off.. then, while at next to no life, you chase the second enemy away from the minions completely. If you can heal in lane, stay, otherwise go back to town fast, you should get back at the same time as the guy who was killed ... meaning that you got to go shopping without them gaining ground on you.

Euphemie

11-29-2009

I'm a more conservative player and i usually solo q so i don't do much in the "assault" phase simply because there's no coordination with solo qs.

Being a conservative player, i want to last until the end game with out dying or giving them too much xp and gold with out having them work for it.

as ranged, i tend to harrass more than i kill creeps just to keep them away and then if they are too over confident, i let them eat the ult at level 6.

as melee, i pick the 1 ranged skill i have and spam it on them as much as i can to get them away from the creeps.

The one thing is that on noobie island, everyone loves playing ranged champs. ranged champs or champs that have ranged skills, can defend a tower more easily then a melee champ can.

i would not want to fight at the enemy tower for the purpose of not giving them the oportunity to kill me. that's more than enough reason to not autoattack/push a tower in the < level 6 stage.

I've been told that dying is bad. so i try to not die and run when things get a little suspicious. a lot of people die like it's nothing to them and that mentality has to change.

if you want to push the tower and get ganked, that's fine by me, but my rules try to teach beginners on how to play a more safer conservative route. I noticed that a lot of people over extend, over judge, and over aggresively attack in LoL. I'm talkign about low level tier. this leads to feeding and dying and losing.

Again, there's different ways to play the game, these are just my rules for the Lane Control Phase. You don't have to follow them if you dont' want to but i don't think i'm telling the beginners anything that's counter productive or harmful to the game. If you want to create your own rules on how to push towers before level 6, go right on ahead.

my conservative play keeps my deaths low and that's not entirely a bad thing.