Best Ways to Carry a Team?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Møgget

01-01-2013

Hi all,

I made the mistake of playing ranked the moment I reached level 30. I'm now sitting at less than 800 ELO. Unlike many other players who post in the forums about low ELO, I don't believe in "ELO Hell." I don't blame bad teammates, trolls, and AFKers for my losses. I recognize that back when I started ranked, I was a bad player.

I decided to take a break from ranked to improve my gameplay, and to earn IP for runes. (I played ranked without full rune pages--bad idea). I'm almost done with my rune pages, and I've become a much better player. Now, I'm wondering, how do I carry an entire team, if I need to? A few questions:

What are the best roles for carrying a team? ADC is my best role. Can I carry my whole team as an ADC?

I've heard particular champions referred to as "hyper-carries." Should I play these champions more often if I intend to carry an entire team?

Any other miscellaneous tips for carrying a team? (Aside from "ward, ward, ward").

Thanks!

Baxter the Teddy

01-01-2013

I will answer your questions in the order post.

1) Yes. If it is your BEST role, you can absolutely carry as an ADC. Probs want to be able to do most of the other roles as well. ALL ROLES CAN CARRY, even Supports. It's just different.

2) The weakness of "Hyper-caries" is that they often rely on farm and late game, something you can't always expect especially at 800 ELO.

3) Gonna sound lame but YOU have to win the game. So YOU have to do EVERYTHING unless your teammates show they are capable of doing it on their own. YOU have to have objectives warded, UNLESS your support is showing they have the knowledge and skill to do it. YOU have to win YOUR lane, AND the other two lanes. YOU have to go and gank when a lane is getting pushed hard UNLESS your jungler is already there (and even then you should help if you can) YOU have to making the calls as to what lane to push, when to go to dragon and baron.

To win solo queue YOU have to be EVERYTHING your team needs. Sometimes, you are literally doing damn near every job and sometimes you only have to CS and right click people late game.

The most important thing you already have, it's the attitude. After every game, win or lose, look at it and think "What could I have done differently?" Look at who was dangerous on the enemy team, and who was behind on your team. If your jungler was behind, suggest to him he take buff X and Y for the XP to catch up. If your support is behind, go gank a lane or kill golems, let him get some solo XP (this is a trick good support players do as well) You are ONLY as strong as your weakest link and you have to do EVERYTHING in your power to make sure your weakest link is strong.

Unkynd

01-01-2013

Eh, as someone who feels their best role is support.. I'd say it's the least likely to truly "carry". I feel when I play other positions I have a much better ability to do what needs to be done during team fights, which is make sure people die. As a support, it's more of my job to make people live... but lets say what you're doing is giving your team a "second" life so to speak. If the enemy team is good enough to kill yours twice before they die once, then you make no difference. You need team mates who can eliminate people more than you need team mates who can save people, hence why usually there is only 1 support on a team.

My experience is that you're going to have the greatest effect as jungler while solo queue, as are in the position to help your entire team during the laning phase of the game. Of course, if you have 3 lanes that are feeding, you will feel totally helpless and probably get blamed from everyone, but if you get good at jungling and counter jungling, most games you will make a difference.

After that, mid and ADC. Mid can go top or bot fairly easily to help gank, and can be a powerful force later in the game. ADC's can be the only damaging player on a team and if they are very good, they can carry the whole team.

I would say, though, your BEST chance of exiting low ELO is to find a partner to duo with. If between the 2 of you you can cover the 4 roles other than top (filling for your team when you can't duo bot because none of them can jungle for example), then every game should be successful.

Edit: Also for the record, I do think playing a strong support can make the difference between a win and loss, but you need your team mates more overall. I'd take a bad support with a great ADC over a great support with a bad ADC any day of the week.

Selcopa

01-01-2013

Winning is the best way to carry, and doing whatever it takes to win is how you move up.

What is the way to do that? That my friend, is different in every game.

Eggroll9000

01-02-2013

It's not really practical to think you can "carry" a team. You can only do 20% of the team's work. You literally can't do 80% of what needs to be done as that's what the rest of 4 members of your team is there for. They all need to do their jobs well to win.

You can be the best ad/ap with hella damages, no protection, no time to shoot, you lose.
You can be the best tank and literally give your team a full minute to shoot, no damages from your team, you die and lose.
You may be the best support and light up the map constantly, huge stuns and exhausts on enemy ad, no one can follow up on that, you lose.
You a great jungler? Every lane is losing and whining? Every time you get to a lane to gank your team is already dead? You lose.

This game is team based like any sport like basketball or football. They pick and trade players. You see that on any of the eSport teams, they pick and they bench. They can't "carry". There's no 1 man carry. Everyone needs to do their part.

You're probably better off looking for friends in ranked and putting a team together when you find good players. There's no practical way to carry a team of 4 other people.

Experiment for you, play a intermediate bot game with 4 level 1 players. You probably will lose. AGAINST BOTS!!