Is vi overpowered, or is she balanced?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-23-2012

I think in general people are far too quick to assign the "OP" tag to a new champion that they haven't figured out how to play against yet. Jax is more OP than any of the champions released in the last 3 months, easily, and Jax is an original release champion. People aren't so quick to call Jax OP however because they've played against him a bit more and have figured out how to play against him.

Aletszz

12-23-2012

She's balanced i always wreck her with jayce, if you shut her down early game shes not that op.

Xenobis

12-23-2012

i think shes overpowered

BaylifeDude

12-23-2012

Shes not overpowered

BaylifeDude

12-23-2012

I don't think that she is overpowered.

Sephrinx

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitDruid View Post
I play Magic: The Gathering. One thing I've noticed in games where there is power outside of the player's control (stats and skills for example), it is hard to say if something is overpowered unless blatantly so (which would be discovered in the beta) until it has been tested thoroughly. Thing have to be put in and up against different compositions, people have to figure out the best ways to actually play with and against the thing in question. I'm not positive League is the same way, because I've only played for two months and haven't even given a look at the competitive scene, but I'm assuming some of the same truths apply.
I am going to run a red/blue deck with filter and mana gain. I am going to Mass poly out Emrakul the Aeons Torn and Stormtide Leviathan on turn 2. I've done it before several times and made kids rage. It's cheap and dirty and ruins any aspect of fun.

There are certain things that are op, you just have to build and play accordingly.

goinghunting

12-23-2012

shes not actually OP shes quite balanced, build armor pen on her to start and be sure to get a decently early frozen hammer because as much as she can close the gap she cant stick to whoever she is targeting which is where she really fails, so u need ur items to be able to do that for you, id say start cleaver, into BT, then the frozen hammer, throw tier 1 maybe tier 2 boots in there at some point that fits hope it helps you out!

Insharai

12-23-2012

Vi is an interesting creature; from what I've seen she's fairly weak in her dueling potential, but she has very good initiation/disruption in team fights. Where she excels is her mobility, her q allows her to jump through walls while her e mulches minions like there is no tomorrow. She has a huge weakness to any form of cc though, if you want to stop her grab Jax/Garen/Irellia and punish her every time you see her start to charge her q. Get a few hits in and back off before denting blows really makes a mark.

FoxFish

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
In general, most of this still applies to LoL. New champions usually end up as a free week option about a month after they're released, and typically Riot waits till after this free week (when the champion sees a TON of play) to make any post-release tweaks (if they're even necessary).
/Off-Topic
Did you know that Trundle was the only champion not to receive tweaks after the first free-week he was released in?

/On-Topic
The only thing I hate about Vi is how easily she can stick on someone. She has some seriously good harass, and all of her skills that help her catch up have hard CC attached that makes it impossible to fight her for the first 5 or so seconds.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFish View Post
/On-Topic
The only thing I hate about Vi is how easily she can stick on someone. She has some seriously good harass, and all of her skills that help her catch up have hard CC attached that makes it impossible to fight her for the first 5 or so seconds.
Her ultimate is her ultimate... which is pretty much a combination of Alistar's W then Q, but it's her ultimate and it's on a long cooldown. And it's her ultimate, so it should be strong.

Her Q is the only other method she has of catching up with someone, and it's actually not that great in terms of sticking power. It takes a bit to charge, and between the charge time and the distance you travel (and you're slowed movement speed while charging) you actually don't finish all that much farther than if you were to just walk. Then it can be inconsistent in that it stops as soon as you hit any enemy champion, so even though you're charging it for that Tristana in the back, if Volibear steps in the way, you might be in a world of trouble. And then, when you do get to your target, it's a knockback. so it takes a half a step for her to be back in punching range. I think the Q is pretty balanced--it doesn't come with a slow or anything.

The only really particularly strong part about Vi's Q is that it will go through walls, and this helps her stick to all those ADCs that have become popular due to their escapes. If you're tired of seeing Ezreal/Corki/Graves in every match, then Vi is just the type of champion you want to see. Though I will say, other abilities that will take you through walls seem to work as long as you would make it at least half way through (it'll still put you on the other side), but so far I've only been able to get Vi's to work if it's charged up enough to make it all the way through, and given the fact that you have to let it charge and you're typically going to be pulling this move in a hurry, that can be very annoying.